Nf7 Sucks Period

ok i baught the nf7 and i flashed the bios correctly was able to reboot fine went in played allitle bit of Americas Army shut my computer down 2 hours later i figured i play again and comp wouldnt boot up i have tryed everything cmos reset checking my processor ram video card every component the motherboard is trashed not only that www.abit-usa.com has forums and im not the only one that has problem with this board about 24 other people do! im trying to get another mobo just wanted to know what i should buy thinking of the Asus A7n8x deluxe but if something is better then that please let me know im pretty pissed atleast i dont have to pay restocking fee at newegg.com its sad how they didnt charge cuase they got too many RMA with this board thats insane whats up with abit all the sudden?

Ditto, mine works great, as it should. Face it, when you're dealing with electronics you will get a defective product here and there...IT HAPPENS. Don't go saying it sucks. Who knows maybe YOU installed it wrong and shorted it on your case. Anyways, if you don't want another Abit, then the Asus is comparable in features and performance, while the Epox 8rda is cheaper but comparable in performance (but not in features..obviously) as well. Heard some good stuff about gigabyte too, but haven't looked at them very much.

no i havent shortened it and im not the only one thats getting this problem you guys can make the judgement goto this site http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t...?threadid=18163 i know that boards go bad its electronics but when you have a whole number of them thats insane i know 1 guy that RMA his NF7 3 times already and same problem comes up

OK, keep in mind that people go to that forum to post their PROBLEMS. It is customer support...if Asus had a forum for that you would see just as many problems, but alas, they do not. And that thread isn't very long considering it has 22 posts, with 8 posts by one guy and multiple posts by others. There are 6 people in that thread that have a problem...and most were fixed with a BIOS update, so a small batch were bad perhaps?? Again, that's what RMA is for. Try another one and if it's garbage then go to something else.

i would say that out of the many thousands of units sold 24 seems like a pretty small minority, and like syneeze most satisfied customers don't go visit the support forums.

it sucks you have a problem...hopefully you can get it taken care of.

Abit tends to have it happen more often than not from personal problems I've had with em. Asus is always the way I like to go. Gigabyte has never given me any problems either. MSI, Tyan, and some ECS boards have been good too. Avoid Soyo, FIC, PC chips, and matsonic (even though the later 2 are made by ECS for some reason indentical boards from them are horrible).

uh I'd have to disagree with the unhappy ones going to the forums. unhappy customers return boards and move on. the odd few like us tend to be the ones to over analize it and try to fix it ourselves. Abit and I have gone round and round before. crap BP6 was the LAST straw I had with them. Very popular board cuz of it's features, BUT it had a HUGE fail rate. I had 6 of em before I said "f it" and moved on to a dual slot 1 gigabyte (this board has been in place since mid 99 and has NEVER locked up on me even after I upgraded the cpu well beyond gigabyte's recomendations).

Edited by bigred

I bought my first NF7 a while ago and I thought it just went bad but I think it was just my own stupidity that broke it. Anyways, I got another one for free and its been the best mb i've ever owned. I love it!

Abit tends to have it happen more often than not from personal problems I've had with em.  Asus is always the way I like to go.  Gigabyte has never given me any problems either.  MSI, Tyan, and some ECS boards have been good too.  Avoid Soyo, FIC, PC chips, and matsonic (even though the later 2 are made by ECS for some reason indentical boards from them are horrible).

uh I'd have to disagree with the unhappy ones going to the forums.  unhappy customers return boards and move on.  the odd few like us tend to be the ones to over analize it and try to fix it ourselves.  Abit and I have gone round and round before.  crap BP6 was the LAST straw I had with them.  Very popular board cuz of it's features, BUT it had a HUGE fail rate.  I had 6 of em before I said "f it" and moved on to a dual slot 1 gigabyte (this board has been in place since mid 99 and has NEVER locked up on me even after I upgraded the cpu well beyond gigabyte's recomendations).

first i'd like to say that i recieved my nf7-s board less than 24hrs ago and it has been working flawlessly. the first board died from my own doing (short circuited it while checking the vdd voltage). tested with stock heatsink fan first because i didn't want to insulate the socket and setup vaporcooling and find out the setup wasn't working (i test like this anyway, has nothing to do with Abit). this is the 2nd board from Abit and both times i've been very satisfied.

back to topic.

problems that companies have had in the past are just that; in the past. OCZ had big problems in the past but that has changed with the new management (there was atleast one person at OCZ that was trying to get reviewers to change their results so that the OCZ memory came out on top, didn't matter if the memory really did perform better or not).

now to Abit. just because someone was unfortunate enough to get more than one bad motherboard in the past generations from a particular company, that does not mean that the company's current products on the market are unreliable as well. reliability/performance in the past is not a great indicator of future product's reliability. intel was top notch for awhile until AMD came along and took a good chunk of intel's market share. now it is starting to go back to intel. nvidia graphics cards used to be unrivaled, but since then ATI stepped it up and nvidia was taking a back seat. now its close again. who knows how the two's next generation cards will compare.

the original nforce chipset was was a failed attempt by nvidia. what if we said "i used products from (insert company product) in the past and they were baloney! thats the last time i'm buying from (insert company)!" ?

and then going off telling other people not to buy products from a certain company because you had problems with their products in the past?

the past is the past. we can hold grunges, sure. but after time it might be best to let it go, see if there are any major problems with the products now. how can what we are saying about a company's current record be justified if we are basing the company off things in the past and not how the company is actually doing today?

if we all used the same logic then a lot of us would be missing out on the hugely successful nforce2 chipset!

and like syneze and sykocus said. its a support forum, what do you expect?

unhappy customers, in general, might return products and move on. that doesn't seem to hold strong for people that are buying retail motherboards. more likely than not, these people either know what they are doing and will over analyse it (like you and me), or they will be first timers to the world of buying their own motherboard and seting up a system. this second group of people might put together there system and be dismayed when nothing happens and might think they did something wrong (as it is their first time). then they'll go around and post asking others how to get so and so to start working. (i'm am making a generalization here, just like you were). if a person can get their product to work without having to waste the extra time (and possibly money) sending a product back and waiting for another to ship to them, i think there is a good chance they'll try to see if there is anything they can do to make the product work. i'm not sure how many people want to wait a week to get another product and hope it works? (especially when they were already anticipating getting there system up and running in the first place). but there are people that don't have a lot of time to figure out what is wrong either, so those people that have other priorities will probably want to send a product back fairly soon after finding that the product is not working as expected.

alright i'm off. i have a lot of writing i need to do tonight for a class tomorrow. hopefully i'll have enough time to prepare and install my main cooling tomorrow. still going to add cooling to southbridge before completely installing my system into the gaming rig. too bad i'll have to wait a few hours for it to adhere to the MCP-T chipset before using it. i might be able to get up and folding by tomorrow night. later all

oh yeah, and if you decide to choose a different board, the a7n8x del (or non-del if you prefer) is a top performer. a very good board in my opinion and in many others. other boards are very appealing as well, depending on what your needs are. Lyrical, you might want to go with a board that uses the nforce2 chipset, highly suggested but you might want to check around for yourself. gl with whatever you decide to do. :)

Edited by Trakfast11

YOU KNOW, I DIDN'T SAY ABIT IS CRAP.

besides how many mobos do you work with a day? how many have you worked with in the past 3 months? or the last year?

I can honestly say the last 3 months I've had to deal with more than 300 different mobos from over 20 companies. I get to see the good the bad and the absolutely horrible. if a company wants thier hardware supported by windows in the next gen os's, they're going to need to send it to one of the driver verification labs for the infamous "signature". I get to see it LONG before you do, I get to play with stuff that won't be in desktops for a year or more. and let me tell you there is stuff by some vendors that is already working great, and their competitor can't get it even close to right.

before that I ran a major retail computer store's tech department. I SOLD, INSTALLED, SERVICED, AND REPLACED more motherboard than you've even owned and that was in EVERY f'n month! I constantly talk to mobo vendors and sales reps, finding out what works, what doesn't.

simply stated the WORST I've seen from abit. it scared me enough to chase me away from them for ever. I have to say they're the only company that will never get another chance from me.

PS: I'd give abit credit for one thing. that board was was head of it's time. For one thing it sent intel into a frenzy becasue of what it offered. first board to use the BX chipset specifically for the Celeron (overclocking). Second it opened up the SMP market for the mainstream. $150 board with 2 sub $100 cpus. This was reserved for the PPRO, PII, and the yet to be released Xeon at the time. Keep in mind a 150mhz 256k cache PPRO dual setup was still well over $1000 and offered EDO ram, no agp, and no usb at this time. Abit did manage to start the SMP craze to enthusiasts on a budget. I'll at least give them credit for having a grerat idea... though very poorly implimented.

Edited by bigred

hey, bigred. sorry about the post. after i had this thread earlier i had already decided what i wanted to say mostly, but didn't have time to say it then. some of the parts where it says "you" were suppose to be to people in general. i should have thought about how you would have interpreted it though.

and no worries. i don't think i knew it then but now i have the feeling that you weren't saying Abit was crap. also i didn't say that you said Abit was crap although at the time i took the first part the wrong way. "Abit tends to have it happen more often than not from personal problems I've had with em." i took the 'more often than not' to mean a majority of time i've had problems with their products. if their products are unreliable a majority of the time, i'd call that product bad (and you had experience with 6 of the same motherboards, all of which failed so you should feel definately free to call that product bad as well :lol: and from the sounds of it, it also had a huge fail rate in general so that really is unreliable. i'd understand that you don't want to go back to Abit after having an experience like that. i don't think i'd be very interested in spending money to buy a board from a company who i had received atleast 6 other unreliable boards from in the past and tried to help others who had problems as well. i'd begin to feel it was a waste of money). and yes, i know you get to work with the boards before we do :) .

and just to let you all know, i had already started typing something up that was simular to my third paragraph in my first post. i was originally going to say something like this:

now to Abit. just because someone was unfortunate enough to get more than one bad motherboard (referring to the person that posted in Abit's forum) from a particular company, that does not mean that that product is unreliable a majority of the time.

after i read bigred's post i decided to make the post more inclusive of past and present. i still wrote the 3rd paragraph in general because i wasn't talking about bigred in that paragraph but i was trying to encompass a thought that came up when reading his post. i thought that it wouldn't hurt to include past and present in this post, so i decided to go that route. eventually i did begin to take some of his post and try to show a point, but that was just stupid and pointless since this post was suppose to be about this motherboard and i was going off about past and present.

the main thing that changed the way i went about this post was the misinterpretation i had in the very beginning. i know that it is hard to really tell what emotions are behind a post. and i think that bigred wants to make sure i (and maybe you all) know that he did not mean for it to sound like he was saying Abit is crap (cause i know you didn't say that, but now i think i know what you were saying and the point of your post). sorry about my confusion. glad ya posted to clear this up though. and please let me know if i still am a little confused. :smack::P

for some reason i have a feeling i might have gotten something incorrect but i can't put my finger on it.

Edited by Trakfast11