Nostalgia....

tazwegion

my brother had an atari a long long time ago which I used and I still

have in my closet... dont think it works but I still have a bunch

of the old disks that really flopped (dono why they werent called floppy disks)...

after that we had a cyrix 120mhz OC to like 133 I think...

I forget all the specs on that piece of crap but I think I have some parts around here

like a 600mb hd which is huge

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a compaq 5200 or something, since im only 14 its not too old but it was a 7.2 gb hd 400 mhz proc, amd i think,64 mb ram,and a 16 mb ati video card. I gave it to my mom and got a bigger 1.6 ghz system with 40 gb hd, and now i have my ibuypower with 2.8 ghz proc and 72 gb hd. Kinda weird how a computer going from a 400 mhz proc to a 1.6 ghz proc only takes a year or so huh. And back then a 400 mhz proc computer costed more than my 2.8 lol.

no need to list your computers guys mine was the best :) sorry but its true. and i noticed there are alot of younings in here *including me*

I member when i rented back to the future :) . I went into the future and got me a Amd Xp+2555+ @ 4.5ghz outrunning intels p5 6.0ghz .

I am old man will be 24 on aug 21st so my first pc was .....

an abacus :D BUT of course I overclocked it too :D:P

lol

here is a pic of it :D

:rolleyes:

Edited by shadyone

My father bought a PC back when we used to live in Russia. It was a rip-off of a Sinclair Spectrum with a zx-80 processor. That thign looked like a thick keyboard. No HDD, all software had to be loaded from a regular casette player, which was a great pain in the . because it was hard to find the beginning of a game on casette and then it took 5-8 minutes to load. The Spectrum had to be connected to TV since it had no monitor outputs. But overall it was a fun little thing. I learned the basics of BASIC on that thing. As soon as it started up its default language was BASIC.

I wish i could get one of those today :unsure:

IBM PC/XT clone, x86 something processor @ 4.77 Mhz, or it had a "turbo" button to make it run 10 Mhz.

Monochrome monitor, 50Mb Seagate HDD, 1024k ram

Sad part is, I had a few games that actually would run too fast to play in turbo mode, LOL :lol:

I've had a few computers over the years.

1. circa 1992.

I got my first PC.

An old XT, with a lovely 13" amber monochrome monitor.

20mb hard drive.

640k ram.

turbo button (like a turbo sticker, but unlike a riced up civic actually got some performance gains over stock :P )

5 1/4" floppy drive.

I had Lotus 1-2-3 for word processing (loved using the "/" key to access the command menu, no mouse back in the day)

I also had some "ninja" game that involved jumping up and down and collecting blinking gold things.

The other game was a side-scrolling helicopter game, where you would shoot things and then land on a burning building and rescue ppl from it.

Soon after, I got a second XT, with a similar monochrome monitor and 640k of ram. However, it only had two 5 1/4 drives. I missed the hard drive.

2. circa 1996

Zoom ahead a few years.

A brand spanking new AMD 133 system at 100mhz.

1gb hard drive.

32mb ram (2x16mb dimms)

14" TTX color monitor.

4 meg ATI Mach64 video card.

sticker price: $2,500.

Windows 95a

Thing was a POS. Had a crappy Zoltrix modem and CD drive (illegal to sell in Canada, but I guess not as a warranty replacement). I learned sooo much on that computer. I loved playing Duke Nukem 3D on that beast. In fact, I had 100 megs of maps and addons. It was a great time. My upgrade to a 6.4gb hard drive was a good day, until I had to partition it into four drives, and filled the drive within one week.

3. November, 2001

Fast forward once again.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.41Ghz

512MB PC2100 ram

Asus A7A266 mobo

Asus V7700 GF2 GTS w/32MB DDR VRAM (don't remember if it was the deluxe or not, I think not tho)

SBLive! 5.1 sound

LG CD Drive

LG CD-RW Drive

LG 77FT 17" Flatron monitor (a real beaute!)

Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM drive

This was the new machine. $1,700 before taxes was the budget, and I succeeded. It was a nice machine. However, I didn't know as much about hardware then as I do now, so in retrospect there would be some changes I would have made, such as the motherboard and CPU. However, I did upgrade to an MSI GeForce3 Ti500 last fall. That made a nice improvement.

4. Today.

My latest computer is a beast (IMO.)

My System

There are some updates that need to be made, and will be made once it's back together. I now have an Innovatek watercooling kit and an Abit NF7-S motherboard. I'll also be getting a new 2500+ with the latest stepping so I can hit some better numbers than I am now.

Whee, what a time we live in.