My $5000 machine = $1400 machine in most usage.........Do we spend too

I pay $AUD 5200 to build up my Desktop, and my girl friend only spend $AUD 1400 for her Desktop.

But I really don't feel my Computer run so much faster than her PC.

I got a RAID0 Raptor 2 74GB, 2.61GHz A64, and 3200VX @ 237MHz RAM with 2-2-2-6, and a X850XT PE, OCZ 600W Powerstream, 24' widescreen, Audigy2 ZS

Her computer got Hitach IDE 7200rpm 80G(very normal HD!!), 2.5GHz A64, and G.Skill RAM @ 208MHz with 2-3-3-6 (only $166, mine $365), X700 Pro, $50 case with 400W PSU(Cheap!!), On Board Sound Card (DFI nF4 Ultra-D, same as mine)

Under Windows XP SP2, I try to launch many applications, both computer are smilar in time spend on Launch program, can't feel difference. and my general feeling is even her machine runs WinXP smoother than mine!! Boot Windows XP, her machine is absoluty faster than mine!!

Load WarCraft III map, only 2.5 seconds difference.

in theroy, my RAM has "extremely low lentency" than her, my FSB higher than her, I have the raptor RAID0 system....

And even I don't feel the SB Audigy2 ZS make nicer sound than the onboard sound function.

I think there many words in adversiment is only good for their sales, is not good for user. Right????

I don't think we need to care so much about the RAM timmings and the HD seeking times, MHz..... except the Benchmark and some very new 3D games, they don't really make obvious different in most use.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need to care so much about the RAM timmings and the HD seeking times, MHz..... except the Benchmark and some very new 3D games, they don't really make obvious different in most use.

You dont understand.. Most of us cant stop !! lol..

Its never ever fast enough.. :nod:

Moving this to off topic.. your not looking for oc'n help.. :cool:

I hear ya!, Doing 75% of the stuff I do on mine doesn't make a noticable difference between mine and a Pentium3 with 256mb ram. But like Ludeboy said, crank up the resolution, and all of the little extras that your video card can take advantage of, and there should be a small difference. Turn the graphics options all the way up, and maybe overclock it, if it isn't already! The 24 widescreen and video card's are the only real difference I see between those systems, assuming they both have the same amount of ram.

What is it with speed The non-drug abuse addiction

B.T upgraded my connection for free yesterday even though they told me *june* when i noticed the change i was doing backflips and i still cant stop smilling. :D It went from 512k/b to im not sure really since when i download through firefox im hitting 110-115k/b on average witch i think is around 1.5mb but when i use getright im hitting 235k/b i think thats around 2mb or a really fast 2mb.

who cares happy anyways

Words of advice, take it like you want it. 5000$ for any pc, is overkill, are you happy? then its fine, but in real world case, its a waste of money, It's millesec of difference for now, most games have to be made for a mid end system to sell. So anyone who tells you you need a 7800 GTX for this, is an #^#%@. And once games do need all that power, guess what? Your parts are now half or less than what you paid for, and your parts are even less because they are used. I am a highend type of guy too, but if I see passing 2000- and into low 3000$ its stop, and I only get that high, because of components I will reuse in my next build, aka water cooling etc. And like Thunda said the first day its omg this comp is so fast, second day, I bloated the beast with so much stuff I always wanted to do, its slower than mollases, or you start putting on retarded stuff on, 8x AA/ AF, sure its pretty, but go back a little bit, if you even put it on, at any decent gaming, lan event or people that know their stuff, you would be kicked out. Not the best analogy, but think of it as Ricing a car. ;)

In the real world of military hardware the last 10% of the performance envelope consumes 90% of the budget.

In the real world of custom built computers the last 10% of the performance envelope consumes 60% of the budget.

Normal desktop applications and web browsing have a minimal impact on most computers. It's only when you get to the processor, drive access and memory intensive applications that you can see where the money went.

My Lanparty nF2 Ultra B is a good solid PC. It runs nice and quiet. But when it comes time to transcode videos or process still images I use my nF4 rigs. The nF4 is about four times faster at transcoding video than the nF2.

I pay $AUD 5200 to build up my Desktop, and my girl friend only spend $AUD 1400 for her Desktop.

But I really don't feel my Computer run so much faster than her PC.

I got a RAID0 Raptor 2 74GB, 2.61GHz A64, and 3200VX @ 237MHz RAM with 2-2-2-6, and a X850XT PE, OCZ 600W Powerstream, 24' widescreen, Audigy2 ZS

Her computer got Hitach IDE 7200rpm 80G(very normal HD!!), 2.5GHz A64, and G.Skill RAM @ 208MHz with 2-3-3-6 (only $166, mine $365), X700 Pro, $50 case with 400W PSU(Cheap!!), On Board Sound Card (DFI nF4 Ultra-D, same as mine)

Under Windows XP SP2, I try to launch many applications, both computer are smilar in time spend on Launch program, can't feel difference. and my general feeling is even her machine runs WinXP smoother than mine!! Boot Windows XP, her machine is absoluty faster than mine!!

Load WarCraft III map, only 2.5 seconds difference.

in theroy, my RAM has "extremely low lentency" than her, my FSB higher than her, I have the raptor RAID0 system....

And even I don't feel the SB Audigy2 ZS make nicer sound than the onboard sound function.

I think there many words in adversiment is only good for their sales, is not good for user. Right????

I have to wonder how much that widescreen costs, because from what i can see here it must have been close to 3 grand alone.

Doesnt make much sense that hers would load windows faster then yours thou. i would have to suspect that the order in which all the drivers and patch's were installed got goobered on your machine.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...86&postcount=11