X2 very basic questions about the AMD CPU

So... how does an X2 looks like?

a) It looks like the FX and others 64s, but you can have 2 of them working at the same time.

B) It looks like the FX and others 64s, but you MUST have 2 of them working at the same time. A single processor won't work/start up the machine

c) It looks similar to the FX and others 64, but it has 2 cores into 1 chip. So it is actually 2 processors in 1

d) It looks very diferent compared to the FX - 64.

Are there any special mobos for X2s? What makes them "special"?

Well that's it for today.

If I had to pick, I'd say letter c.

I don't think there are special mobo's just for x2's, but it has to be one that supports it, and yours does. You would also need a current bios that supports it, and your bios does not. Your bios doesn't even support the venice you have now.

What makes them "special" is, is when you're running an OS, and software that supports them, you can do alot of multi-tasking.

Why are you asking, just curious, or maybe you going to buy one?

It's c) and it works on almost ALL Socket 939 boards with a BIOS update, only some VIA Chipset has a problem. What makes them special is that you have the power of 2 CPUs, which can speed up things that can use 2 CPUs, like videoencoding, musicencoding, or doing a lot of stuff at the same time (e.g. encoding a DVD while playing Doom3) which would bring a normal 1-core CPU to a halt. It also makes it easier to work with several programs at once, switching between them etc., so if you have something running which uses a lot of CPU time (on one core), you could still work like normal on the other (the OS does that for you). And if you want, you can even assign processes to one or both of the cores...

It's c) and it works on almost ALL Socket 939 boards with a BIOS update, only some VIA Chipset has a problem. What makes them special is that you have the power of 2 CPUs, which can speed up things that can use 2 CPUs, like videoencoding, musicencoding, or doing a lot of stuff at the same time (e.g. encoding a DVD while playing Doom3) which would bring a normal 1-core CPU to a halt. It also makes it easier to work with several programs at once, switching between them etc., so if you have something running which uses a lot of CPU time (on one core), you could still work like normal on the other (the OS does that for you). And if you want, you can even assign processes to one or both of the cores...

What he said.....

Fabulous chip-----and this coming from a die-hard Intel Hyperthreading multitasker....

AMD is the new king of multitasking----plain and simple...

From that quote right there, you can tell that right now X2's are kind of an overkill atm, i mean... comeon? who encodes dvds and games at the same time? :rolleyes: :shake:

Me.....

I do tons of stuff all at the same time.....

Just call me a mutitasking maniac....

Thats why I love the X2

Try it-----you'll like it

and it will maximize your computer usage time

and it will let you rethink how you use a computer to do stuff.......

as I said----a fabulous chip.....

From that quote right there, you can tell that right now X2's are kind of an overkill atm, i mean... comeon? who encodes dvds and games at the same time? :rolleyes: :shake:

Me.. or at least I will once I get a second gig of ram.. playing BF2 while encoding requires about 1.5 GB.

I see... so X2 roxs....

I still remember the times of the Pentium Pros when you had to buy two of them, or 4 of them. Those were interesting.

I was just curious, not planning to do encoding of DVD while listening to MP3 and playing D3/BF at the same time just yet. Unless I get my broadband working within a month. Still don't have the money fo an X2

Fight_game: You just said that my Bios doesn't support my Venice... ummm interesting. Well my rig has been up and running for a week (only one issue with Raid 0 during win Instal, but nothing else). I'll update my Bios as soon as I get broadband (hopefully within a month), don't wanna be left out in the dark without a way to get a fast answer.

Question: what kind of problems could I encounter because of my Bios+Venice combo?