I wrote a book!

Guest_Jim_*

I've made mention of working on it before, but now I can say I have completed my first published story, Sci-FU. After six weeks of writing the draft and a little more than a year revising, I finally self-published the story with Amazon's CreateSpace service and the Kindle Direct Publishing program.

The story is, in simplest terms, science fiction (aka sci-fi; see what I did there) but most of the science and technology is just exaggerated forms of what we already have, or will have in the future. For those cases, I have written an appendix to better explain the science and provide real-world examples, if possible. Of course, the story wouldn't be much fun to read if there wasn't some fiction.

For those of you who choose to read it, you will likely find more than a few references to gaming, overclocking, and even Overclockers Club. However, I have stated it in the book and I will state it here too. The characters in the book are not meant to represent any real person, living or dead. The names may be the same, and one or two qualities, but this was only done as a sign of respect and friendship, and because I'm not good and making up names.

Here's the description of Sci-FU as you can find on the Amazon and CreateSpace store pages:

Born from the author's belief that science fiction is less fantastical than science fact comes Sci-FU. Following the first adventures of the new superhero, "Quantum," explore what the future may bring as one gifted individual uses science to protect those around him.

Filled with references to real science and technology of the present and future, Sci-FU offers enjoyment for those who read both science stories and science fiction stories. Overclocking and gaming are also clearly alluded to within the text, making the tale accessible to even more people.

Most every display of science and every piece of technology used or referenced in the story, is directly related to real technology or real science. More factual explanations of it all are included in the appendix. The author has great respect and interest in science, which is evident throughout, along with his ability and desire to make everything understandable.

A print copy of the book is $15 from Amazon while the Kindle version is $10.

Sci-FU at Amazon (print and Kindle versions)

Sci-FU at CreateSpace (print only)

I have the ability to make discount codes for the CreateSpace store, so if you'd like to buy a copy through that, here's 10% off: 9WEKLB55.

I hope you enjoy the story!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question that I always wanted to ask, how the hell do you find the words/ideas to fill so many pages? I have issues with writing 3 pages, double spaced! :lol:

Honestly, if I knew I would tell you. All I can say is I love the story and the ideas for it, so the writing was pretty easy most of the time. In fact, there were times when the writing changed how I thought the story would go. It was like the story was writing itself.

It was almost like when you get into a game and time just disappears, because you're having fun and the challenge absorbs you.

Nice work there, very interesting. Love in your authors note "Nothing is wrong with my name, so why should I not use it?" I have a feeling just from the short preview that I like your style of writing :thumbsup: keep up the good work.

Congrats on being published :cheers:

However I couldn't not help but notice. what I do believe to be a a spelling error. The "and an hour pass curfew" towards the bottom of the first paragraph, of the first page of the prologue, was it not meant to be "past" instead of pass.

Editors, what do you pay them for :P

Haven't read your yet as i am too tired to read to much tonight. I did write about 300 pages of a fantasy novel by hand when I was 22 or so, but tossed it in the trash when I couldn't figure out how I wanted to end it.