Proprietary Eponyms

Andrewr05

Proprietary Eponyms  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use proprietary eponyms?

• Yes
    • No, I hate it when people do that...

I just read an article on Yahoo and it got me thinking about Proprietary Eponyms

Some things I'll use the brand name and some things I'll call it what it is...

Common list:

• FRISBEE
  • Xerox
  • KLEENEX
  • BAND AID
  • COKE
  • KOOL-AID
  • SCOTCH TAPE
  • POPSICLE
  • WITE-OUT
  • STYROFOAM
  • JELL-O
  • POST-IT NOTE
  • VELCRO
  • THERMOS
  • ESCALATOR
  • HI-LITER
  • SARAN WRAP
  • ROLODEX
  • VASELINE
  • Q-TIPS
  • POP TART

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annoys the hell out of me since they are usually more expensive. For example, I just buy CVS band aids since they are identical and 2 bucks cheaper for a box.

Annoys the hell out of me since they are usually more expensive. For example, I just buy CVS band aids since they are identical and 2 bucks cheaper for a box.

SWOOOOSH

That's the sound this thread made when it went over your head.

It's not about whether you use the product(s) in question, it's about what you SAY when you request that type of product. And by your sentence, you've proven that you indeed use the eponym, and thus should have voted "Yes".

For example, if you get a cut, do you ask for "a band aid" or "an adhesive bandage"? The latter is the more correct terminology, as that assumes you realize that the person you're asking may not have the BAND AID brand adhesive bandages available. However, it has become commonplace to merely request a band aid, and everyone knows what you mean because it's now the generally accepted term for an adhesive bandage, whether it was produced by Johnson & Johnson or not.

Back to the question at hand, if anyone votes "No" in this poll (and actually understands what the poll is asking), they're lying. You may not say all of them, but I guarantee you everyone says at least one of these, if not several.

And this list isn't complete either. One of the most common ones I use is "roller blading". My in-line skates are not the ROLLER BLADE brand, but I never say I'm going in-line skating....I always say I'm going roller blading (or simply "blading").

Damn it, I need to upgrade my brain processor, it isn't all that great for multitasking anymore.

Most of the time I say the brand name like pop tarts and coke. For some things I don't but I can't think of any right now.

I voted yes, cause I use a few of them. =)

though, i was thinking, could "Google" be added to this list? jw cause i know it's not used as a noun, but as a verb meaning "to look up on a search engine." ..just something that crossed my mind lol

though, i was thinking, could "Google" be added to this list? jw cause i know it's not used as a noun, but as a verb meaning "to look up on a search engine." ..just something that crossed my mind lol

interesting, but I would say no, based on my usage. I always tell people to "google it" when I want them to actually go to www.google.com. Maybe it would work if Google ever went out of business...

interesting, but I would say no, based on my usage. I always tell people to "google it" when I want them to actually go to www.google.com. Maybe it would work if Google ever went out of business...

First off, Google is the second one in the list, if you actually check the link Andrew provided.

Secondly, your example solidifies this whole argument. You say "google it", but to someone else, that doesn't necessarily mean they must go to Google...they may prefer Yahoo.

All the time one computer related one Ethernet

Uhhhhh, what? That's not an example, sorry.

First off, Google is the second one in the list, if you actually check the link Andrew provided.

Secondly, your example solidifies this whole argument. You say "google it", but to someone else, that doesn't necessarily mean they must go to Google...they may prefer Yahoo.

lol @ me x2, didn't click the link, and didn't even read what I wrote, you're right, I proved my own statement stupid. hehe, thanks for pointing it out.