2TB Hard Disk Fills Up During Installation

EuroFight

If it was corrupt you would probably be blue screening every time you installed something.

If you can, RMA the drive, if you can't, put your old drive back in, re-install the OS and use the 2TB as storage.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay thank you for your help :)

Unfortunately the 250GB drive is in use in another system, but I have a 2yr warranty on the new drive, so I may RMA it after a couple of Windows reformats in case it is software.

Thanks again for your help :)

Euro

Are you running the latest BIOS release for your motherboard and the latest firmware release for the hard drive?

In your motherboard BIOS is there an option to enable some special 2Tb+ support for hard drives that size or larger?

And while in your BIOS I'd recommend checking the SATA controller options and making sure that it is set to AHCI and not IDE.

Yeah firmware and BIOS is up-to-date. The motherboard was also replaced due to an RMA a while ago. I currently have the drive set to LBA, I would assume that is appropriate for addressing 2TB. When I change the SATA controller to AHCI, the drive does not show up in the BIOS, and is undetectable for some reason.

I have found it best not to let Windows manage the paging file, set to custom and manually set it to 1 1/2 times the total amount of memory, which actually it recommends to itself but never does, this improves performance. You could remove the HDD, and reinstall it, or turn off PC, unplug it from AC, remove bios battery then set jumper to hard clear the bios. This resets the bios, and forces the mobo to reacquire the attached hardware, and reinstall drivers.

Also right click on "computer" in start menu goto "manage" then open system events, and there you will find what the problem is if it still exists. Although somewhat cryptic at times you can get a pretty good idea of the source of the issue. Hope that gets ya dialed in!

RayMark, I believe you may have found the source of the problem.

Both of the freezes occurred when installing software. Both softwares used the built-in Windows Installer. (the first issue was more than 7 days ago). Event ID 11316 "MsiInstaller": 7 days - 1 error

post-87281-0-32320000-1367095937_thumb.png

RayMark, I believe you may have found the source of the problem.

Both of the freezes occurred when installing software. Both softwares used the built-in Windows Installer. (the first issue was more than 7 days ago). Event ID 11316 "MsiInstaller": 7 days - 1 error

Excellent which confirmed your suspicions initially, but now the fun begins. The installer may be corrupted, a fix may be available from Microsoft site. Always remember to right click & install as administrator. Hopefully you did not change into LBA mode after you installed the OS. These modes have to be decided upon prior to the install of an OS. Difficulties with HDD total size is usually a cause of mobo/bios incompatibility, thus previous posters suggestions. You may be able to shrink the drive less than 2tb in your drive management area if in fact the mobo cant deal with a 2tb total...but that may not be a work around, after all a certain percentage is reserved for cache and recycle bin. In other words partitioning your drive may be in order.

Supposedly you can look up or submit the Event ID # to Microsoft to further examine it. Make sure all of your c++ runtime libraries are installed from microsoft, in fact while you are there install NET 4.0, and any other options they offer that may assist the msi installer with software installs, and they're required environments. Good luck.

Euro - glad that you're making progress.  Although, I'd caution against any blanket statement of setting your page file to 1 1/2 times the installed RAM.  That is an old carry over from when systems often had limited amount of physical memory available.  i.e. there isn't any reason to set a 12Gb page file if you have 8Gb of physical memory (as an example).