How good is this build?

vance09

$1200? Do you live in Australia? That's pretty expensive.

Seconded. If you're in the US, $1200 can get you some serious firepower.

In addition to El_Capitan's advices, the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is what I'd recommend if you're going to replace that G45 board. The kind of features you get for the price, nothing touches it IMO.

Personally, I'd love to get the MPower board. Looks great if I can colour code the system and I doubt I'd need anything higher than 4.5-4.6Ghz on a 3570K (I doubt I'd really need to overclock at all actually, aside from satisfying my ego)

For the cooler, I'd rather not go with any AIO coolers except for the H100 (if I can afford one that is.) All AIOs are not worth the price, the H100 included (But the H100's performance is second to none except for proper WC kits).

I suggest getting something like the NZXT Havik 140 instead. Great cooler, great price.

HDD, I'd go with the Seagate Barracuda 1TB. Single platter drive and AFAIK, it's cheaper than WD drives in most countries.

GPU, I'd get a 7850 OC like El_Capitan said, or a GTX660 non-Ti. They'll do the job, even in Maximum settings, without stutters.

:cheers:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally don't like MSI boards but they've gotten a lot better since their exploding-VRM days with Phenom II chips. :lol:

MSI employees wouldn't buy MSI ...even with their discount. That says more than any review can. They still use cheap materials so not a whole lot has changed since then. Just less dramatic?

MSI employees wouldn't buy MSI ...even with their discount. That says more than any review can. They still use cheap materials so not a whole lot has changed since then. Just less dramatic?

This says a lot about the quality of material used there. Are you sure about this?

Umm, if I was an MSI employee, I'd buy a heck of a lot of their graphics cards with their discount. Motherboards... not so much.

Yeah, now I'm stuck- really want to stick with this, but I realized that the mobo has a D-PAK mofset. Will that hurt the performance during overclocking? I'm honestly just thinking of just going with the Mpower for $40 more (it has built in wifi, so I'd save money on an adapter).

This says a lot about the quality of material used there. Are you sure about this?

Ya its coming from a very reliable source. Evidently it is multiple MSI employees said they wouldn't buy MSI, not just 1 disgruntled worker or something like that.

Umm, if I was an MSI employee, I'd buy a heck of a lot of their graphics cards with their discount. Motherboards... not so much.

I'd certainly trust their video cards before anything else too, especially the motherboards. But that is with a really nice discount otherwise I would pay a bit of a premium to go with a different brand. Video cards are the most expensive component in a PC these days. It is the one piece I regret in my current build and its because of the brand I chose, so I'd pay the premium for a good card.

Edited by Fogel

Yeah, now I'm stuck- really want to stick with this, but I realized that the mobo has a D-PAK mofset. Will that hurt the performance during overclocking? I'm honestly just thinking of just going with the Mpower for $40 more (it has built in wifi, so I'd save money on an adapter).

Not as good as RDS(on) of course but AsRock has to cut somewhere to offer boards as cheap as they do. Since you are going Ivy the power usage is lower so that is good. You could easily do fine, but if you are worried about it try to limit your OC so you don't have to push the voltage or just play it safe with how much you push the voltage for your overclock.

As far as which board you should buy. I say buy the board you think you will be the most comfortable with. It is the hardest piece to replace and is the foundation for your entire build. I'm one of those people that believe in quality parts over quantity. So I would rather buy a motherboard that uses quality parts with 6 phase power over one that took shortcuts to get to 8 phase for the same price. I'm probably in the minority here though. That is why I wouldn't go Mpower or MSI in general. I don't know if MSI still does it but I heard they used to crowd their PCI-e lanes and by crowd I mean what powered what.

$1200? Do you live in Australia? That's pretty expensive.

Even Australian prices are not that bad but since its prebuilt then maybe..

Looks like drivel to me

Rubbish.

Ya its coming from a very reliable source. Evidently it is multiple MSI employees said they wouldn't buy MSI, not just 1 disgruntled worker or something like that.

lol