Q6600 Overclocking

Hi all!

I'm back overclocking a new Cpu i got from a friend!

It's a Q6600, 2.40Ghz.

Temps under full load and prime95 stressing lower than 58c !

My voltages are kinda high , the CPU is going to suicide!

post-76221-0-72808800-1333513408_thumb.jpg

This is as far i managed to go.

Performance got a lot better than i imagined after OCing...

I also hit 3.60Ghz with the current voltage, but my computer restarted!

If anyone knows something, will be appreciated!

[sorry for any mistakes, Im still not good in english!]

Be careful with that amount of voltage and those clocks - I blew up my old DFI board with a Q6600 trying to push it to 3.6 GHz. The VRMs literally burned a hole in the board. You will probably be better off with the amount of cooling on that board combined with the 8 phase power though...

Are you sure your temps are actually 58 C? I was hitting higher than that (MUCH higher) on a full on watercooling setup.

Yes i am! I used Everest, speedfan, hwmonitor and real temp!

I have the Hyper 212 plus Coolermaster, and you made me a little nervous! :D

I tried to lower the Vcore, and added some FSB voltage, and CPU PLL... but didn't worked that way again!

I guess i have to stop for the sake of this Core right?

What does Core Temp read? I use IntelBurnTest as a quick stability check (30 minutes on the "high" setting) and then 4-8 hours of Prime95. WATCH YOUR TEMPS. :lol: I'm amazed you're getting such good temperatures with that cooler...my full water setup could barely keep my Q6600 cool at 3.4 GHz with 1.45 volts...much less 3.5 GHz and 1.51 volts. At some point it's just too hard to shed the heat quickly from the actual CPU.

Be careful with that amount of voltage and those clocks - I blew up my old DFI board with a Q6600 trying to push it to 3.6 GHz. The VRMs literally burned a hole in the board. You will probably be better off with the amount of cooling on that board combined with the 8 phase power though...

Are you sure your temps are actually 58 C? I was hitting higher than that (MUCH higher) on a full on watercooling setup.

Haha, remind me not to go OC my mom's PC. Or was it not the P35 you sold me?

Waco must have had a bad OCer =P Mine would hit 3.8Ghz on air with a tiny bump in volts. Was just shy of 4Ghz on water. Your limiting factor is probably going to be the X38 chipset. P35/P45 were better overclockers.

Haha, remind me not to go OC my mom's PC. Or was it not the P35 you sold me?

It won't be an issue unless you REALLY push the clocks and volts...and got a faulty board. :P

Was my Q6600 just really good or something? 1.5V for 3.5GHz? mellow.gif Mine did 3.6GHz on less than 1.4V.

Then again I do have a Q6700 that won't budge past 3.6GHz even with many volts on LN2. But that's a different beast.

These hurt my feelings! :P

@d6bmg what IMO is? sorry im not used to this kind of talking! :)

@Coors Maybe thats the problem! Although i flashed an Asus Rampage Formula Bios on my P5E for better Overclocking!

@ARandomOWl You sure did a nice job there! Did you change any other voltages or any settings i dont know?? :ph34r:

I dont think i ll ever make this CPU be stable with less than 1.5V!

Waco must have had a bad OCer =P Mine would hit 3.8Ghz on air with a tiny bump in volts. Was just shy of 4Ghz on water. Your limiting factor is probably going to be the X38 chipset. P35/P45 were better overclockers.

Though I hear the X38/X48 chipsets offered better performance for clock so it's probably even in the end.

These hurt my feelings! :P

@d6bmg what IMO is? sorry im not used to this kind of talking! :)

@Coors Maybe thats the problem! Although i flashed an Asus Rampage Formula Bios on my P5E for better Overclocking!

@ARandomOWl You sure did a nice job there! Did you change any other voltages or any settings i dont know?? :ph34r:

I dont think i ll ever make this CPU be stable with less than 1.5V!

IMO- In My Opinion

You did pretty well so far, can you screen shot your bios with all its voltage settings for us?