16 GB of RAM in P35 Chipset possible?

I would like to add more memory to my old P35 DFI lanparty board. The manual's max memory specification is listed at 8GB of DDR2 in 4 DIMM slots which I am currently running. This seems to be the norm for most of the P35 boards I have researched. I would like to add more RAM to the system and don't know if it's possible. The reason why I am posting this is a friend of mine has an older intel 975x board, it is also listed on the specs at a max of 8GB of DDR2. He was able to get 16GB of RAM installed and registered by the OS. I can purchase it and give it a shot, but I don't believe I can return it if it does not work. Thanks

I don't get what the problem is, just buy the ram then. :thumbsup:

The only problem is I am not sure if it works, whether the limiting factor will be the P35 chipset or the BIOS ( I guess it will be a slight gamble, no matter what). I was just curious if anyone had tried it. It would be about $250 dollars down the drain if it does not work. All my other machines have DDR3.

The only problem is I am not sure if it works, whether the limiting factor will be the P35 chipset or the BIOS ( I guess it will be a slight gamble, no matter what). I was just curious if anyone had tried it. It would be about $250 dollars down the drain if it does not work. All my other machines have DDR3.

Do you really need 16GB of ram? I do heavy multitasking and only only use 6.3GB max at the most and I have 8GB of ram. Unless you have 25 CS3's and 100 firefox tabs open at once you really don't need more ram.

No it won't work. In the specification it is clearly mentioned that Maximum Memory Supported: 8GB.

then will you explain how his friend got 16gb working on a 8gb board?

With a simple BIOS update, I was able to take advantage of 16 GB of RAM on our Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L.

WHOA that sounds out-of-the box, i wonder what the specification was before the Bios update.

things change

then will you explain how his friend got 16gb working on a 8gb board?

Actually I've no idea about it. In the specification is is written than max RAM supported is 8GB, and this post of yours confused me. :blush:

WHOA that sounds out-of-the box, i wonder what the specification was before the Bios update.

things change

This sounds like a good idea.

I would like to add more memory to my old P35 DFI lanparty board. The manual's max memory specification is listed at 8GB of DDR2 in 4 DIMM slots which I am currently running. This seems to be the norm for most of the P35 boards I have researched. I would like to add more RAM to the system and don't know if it's possible. The reason why I am posting this is a friend of mine has an older intel 975x board, it is also listed on the specs at a max of 8GB of DDR2. He was able to get 16GB of RAM installed and registered by the OS. I can purchase it and give it a shot, but I don't believe I can return it if it does not work. Thanks

Here's someone who reports getting 16GB DDR2 to work on a P35 three years ago:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=17728

I have a P35C-DS3R DDR2/DDR3 board. For DDR3, the manual says 4GB max, Sisoft SANDRA reports 8GB max.

I've got 8GB working in it right now and I too am curious just how much it will accept.

You should think about getting away from DDR2 boards. The DDR3 RAM is cheap and getting cheaper.

It's worth a shot just trying it. I tried with my old P35 board and it didn't work, but I know many other had good luck with it. Worst case, you just return the RAM (perhaps negotiate with Newegg or wherever first to avoid the restocking fee).

If ya have no need it is a waste. Most users do not need even 8G. it does not help performance but if you use programs that are memory intensive it helps. What are you using it for before you get postal?

Hey there you need a v8 #whack# you could have had a v8 . Just kidding.: LOL:

Looking at the motherboards specs it looks as if the motherboard will not support that much memory. As people have said the system may recognize it and force it to run but that is like tossing a coin. If you actually need that much memory I would honestly upgrade the system around that to incorperate the ram. The 1366 1155 or 2011 processors would support you Well in that respect. Its not my place to tell you where to place You money but I would like to see you spend it on a sure thing rather then have the memory just laying around afterwards.