OCC News: AMD Announces Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition

As we wait on AMD's new Barcelona and Phenom processor offerings, AMD is extending its existing lineup by announcing a new member of the Athlon 64 family - the Athlon 64 dual-core 6400+ "Black Edition" processor. Clocked at 3.2GHz, the 6400+ is AMD's latest addition to its socket AM2 processor lineup. The Athlon 64 X2 6400+ is built using a 90nm silicon-on-insulator process and feautures a single HyperTransport link and a shared integrated 128-bit wide memory controller (up to 12.8GB/sec bandwidth). The Black Edition is expected to be available August 20, 2007 at an expected price of $239 US in lots of 1000.

AMD ATHLON

What makes this a "Black Edition"? The box? I guess I just don't get the blackness of it...

Really though, you have to give AMD some credit. They've ridden this A64 architecture HARD for a long time. I'm amazed it's come this far. Let's hope it doesn't have to go any further though. Barcelona is long overdue.

That's pretty nice at that price. AMD has been giving Intel a run for it's money lately, especially with these prices.

:withstupid: At that price, that's probably the best buy, price-to-performance, right now. If I currently had AM2, I'd consider it, but as I don't, I'm skeptical on moving to AM2 with something else possibly on the horizon.

As for the "black edition", that's just stupid. Why don't they get a silverish box and call it the Platinum edition :rolleyes:. At least they could have made the processor black...not that you'd ever see it with an hsf or waterblock on it.

:withstupid: At that price, that's probably the best buy, price-to-performance, right now. If I currently had AM2, I'd consider it, but as I don't, I'm skeptical on moving to AM2 with something else possibly on the horizon.

As for the "black edition", that's just stupid. Why don't they get a silverish box and call it the Platinum edition :rolleyes: . At least they could have made the processor black...not that you'd ever see it with an hsf or waterblock on it.

True, but think about how cool a black CPU would look! ...At least until you lap it. :lol: