OEM vs Retail

lost

trying to understand license limitations between these two. (sorry for the repost)

a while back i was reading something about needing two keys for dual core or was it for two separate processors?

if i get the OEM version of Vista for my current computer, and later decide to upgrade my hardware will i need to buy another OEM version?

normally you would need to reinstall the OS when installing new Motherboard and CPU, but there was a way to FIX the XP in the harddrive after changing motherboard and cpu that wouldn't require you to reinstall XP, but would that be legal if you had the OEM version? and is that possible for Vista?

what if i get a faster processor but keep the same mobo?

what if i get a different motherboard but keep the same processor?

ram, and video card have nothing to do with the license right?

what about the HD? what if i reformat it and reinstall it again? will that be a problem with the OEM version? or reinstall it on a bigger hard drive?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oem has the same licensing as retail, just without all the pretty cardboard and graphics/manuals/etc. a retail license key of a particular version of vista works just the same as an oem one.

you didn't USE any activations.

Vista, just like XP can be activated by phone. however the LEGAL aspect of it is it MUST be on only one PC.

there is also the legal ramification of buying the OEM version... it MUST be purchased with some form of hardware. hence the reason I sell it with a "free" mouse in my stores. discount the price of the mouse from the purchase price of Vista OEM and call it a day. customer is legit and my in's with MS stay in tact there.

But I had to re-activate it in the Computer > Properties window...Are you saying I didn't use one of my 2 activations? Do I have 2 installs and not two activations?

I've never gotten a straight answer on it...

you have infinate (well, for your purposes) activations, it's just that after 2 (not 100% sure here), you have to call up MS and get a key from them. They will ask you why you are installing so many times and, of course, the answer is probablly "just reinstalling." They'll give you the key to type into the box, and bravo.

However if you tell them "I installed on my sisters PC." Then you probablly won't get the key. Your license is for ONE physical box (motherboard) ONLY.

here's how it works.

MS keeps record of your activation on file for 6 months. you are allowed to have 2 on file via the web. after 6 months those activations via the web are removed. if you exceed your 2 on file in 6 months you simply pickup the phone and tell the rep you needed to reinstall / reactivate the product. 5 minutes of total time and you have a validation key. and away you go. all done.

trust me I have customers who are reformatting every 2 weeks cuz they have no clue what they're doing. and every time my tech's have to call it in. Vista, Xp, 2003, Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007... same thing with all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

If that's the case, can't you slap Vista on 50 computers and just tell Microsoft you're reinstalling?

My aggravation comes from having an OEM key and having Microsoft tell me they can't help me for free. I have to call Gateway (a long distance call!) just for help.

If that's the case, can't you slap Vista on 50 computers and just tell Microsoft you're reinstalling?

My aggravation comes from having an OEM key and having Microsoft tell me they can't help me for free. I have to call Gateway (a long distance call!) just for help.

Yeah, but they could tell if both machines are on the net, and using update. As bigred said, they keep the activations on file for 6 months... I had loads of problems with my copy of XP (student license crap. meh) and activated it about 4 times in a month by phone, so it's ok :)

I know someone who is registered the same copy on two different machines and still gets updates for both of them. I wonder how he got away with that? He even showed me with the key finder they are both the same keys.