GUIDE for Unlocking MSI AfterBurner

Speedway

UPDATE 06/04/2012: This guide still works for the latest Beta versions of Afterburner :thumbsup:MSi Afterburner 2.2.1 Link

I have tested this on the NVIDIA GTX 680, working just fine. Not sure about AMD, maybe someone with AMD can chime in!

I have read about many users who can't seem to get MSI Afterburner to unlock voltages and extreme overclocking. There is a new Beta version of 2.1 that seems to be working quite well when it comes to being "unlocked!" However there are a few tricks to get this to work properly, especially if you are using an AMD/ATI card. But, so far I have this 2.1 beta 7 version working perfectly with my MSI 6970's and figured I would share :cheers:

I recommend uninstalling your current AfterBurner before proceeding

1st - Dowload the latest MSI AfterBurner link located in Update above and install.

2nd - Locate the folder where MSI Afterburner installed to, open it, and locate the CFG file named MSIAfterburner. When you 1st dbl click this file it will ask you what program you want to use to open it, choose "Notepad" and click "ok" Once you have the MSIAfterburner CFG file open in notepad you need to change a couple of settings near the bottom:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 (to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path)<--Do not type this, just for reference wink.gif I have mine set to = 1

After you have made these changes, DO NOT forget to click "file" and "save" before exiting notepad, or your changes will not take into effect!

Nvidia Users: Working just fine on my GTX 680, you are finished :evilgrin:

AMD/ATI Users: There are still additional step you need to take or your PC will lockup if you try to change any clocks or voltages in AfterBurner!

Once you have saved your changes in the CFG file, close notepad, click "start" and type "regedit" (with no quotes) in the search field near the bottom. A new window will open (pictured below), this is your Registry Editor.

Here is the path you need to follow - click on each folder, in order until you get to {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

From there follow the instructions I have made on the picture! After you have finished, RESTART your PC and everything should work! If you do not restart your PC after making these changes, your PC WILL freeze up if you try to change your clocks or voltages in Afterburner!

regeditss.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide Speedway! Now in the beta 7 build of Afterburner that i have, i have unlocked voltages. But i only have a max of 1100mv. Will this tweak unlock more voltage for me? Or will it just give you the voltage control itself?

Nice guide Speedway! Now in the beta 7 build of Afterburner that i have, i have unlocked voltages. But i only have a max of 1100mv. Will this tweak unlock more voltage for me? Or will it just give you the voltage control itself?

Thx Merc :biggrin: I'm pretty sure it will only unlock the voltage to the max allowed in the cards BIOS. But, not 100% sure on that one. I know, before I did this, the voltage control was completely locked using my MSI 6970's and after this I could go from 1175mv to 1300mv. But I am going to assume that 1300mv is the max in the MSI 6970 BIOS. So probably your only option to up the max voltage is probably going to be flashing your card with the ASUS BIOS.

My ASUS 6970's will be here tomorrow, I'm hoping that the max voltage is higher on those than the 1300mv on the MSI 6970's! So we will see

Thx Merc :biggrin: I'm pretty sure it will only unlock the voltage to the max allowed in the cards BIOS. But, not 100% sure on that one. I know, before I did this, the voltage control was completely locked using my MSI 6970's and after this I could go from 1175mv to 1300mv. But I am going to assume that 1300mv is the max in the MSI 6970 BIOS. So probably your only option to up the max voltage is probably going to be flashing your card with the ASUS BIOS.

My ASUS 6970's will be here tomorrow, I'm hoping that the max voltage is higher on those than the 1300mv on the MSI 6970's! So we will see

Yeah, i assumed as much. I still think 1100mv is alittle low. But for now im content with 1100mv. I havent owned this card very long, and since i wont be water cooling it. I might as well be nice to it, lol.

You'll probably never need to get to 1300mv, anyway. When I overclocked my HD 5870 2GB on water, I started seeing artifacting on my overclocks, and i was at 1197mv. I could only get to 1030MHz Core Clock.

I have been using 1300mv on an OC over 1GHz Core / 1500MHz Mem :biggrin:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...