Future Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

cirro

Ever read what happened to the guy who put those up?

I can't remember ever hearing about any cracking ring getting busted in the past few years...let alone being fined for anything. I think they sued the company that leaked the disc but that has nothing to do with this conversation (nor do I recall the outcome).

Also, who cares? I really don't care about all these anti-piracy things, nothing has ever hurt my computer and I have never had problems with it. Whoever hacks the games is a douche bag anyways and should just **** off.

That's fine and dandy for you...not everyone is so lucky. I've had numerous games that I had to crack simply because the damn game wouldn't run on my machine without it. I don't want to be mid-game and lose progress because my internet .ed up. It's just retarded.

I guess wanting to play the games that I paid for makes me a douchebag though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Waco

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It crashed randomly on multiple rigs with me. That combined with the general crappiness of the respawn system made me regret buying it after spending a few days playing it.
I agree that the respawn system sucked balls, but it never crashed for me. The only issue I had was if my tablet was connected, I'd have severe lag, but that was easily fixed by me disabling my tablet. It also was/is not the only game that has issues with my tablet. Some won't even launch if it's connected.

Meh.. piracy affects Consoles too, and in some ways Developers lose out just as much on console sales, because Game stores can Sell and Re-Sell console games Used for a fraction of the retail price to their content, Whilst when you buy a PC Game, its a 1 time thing, no returns for you unless its still sealed.

DRM is Hurtfull to legit buyers and thats a fact, but its also necessary to keep the pirates at bay (geddit? .. sorry lol) and day 0/1 piracy is a big problem. I think companys/Developers are going about this in Completely the wrong way, i mean take This instance for example - needing a Constant internet connection just to play? .. thats just Plain Retarded, in ways which my words cant begin to express. We need a Robust Universal System which is both effective against pirates and Not harmful to Legitamate Buyers. Sound impossible? not really, you just need to put many heads together for a brainstorming session, heres just 2 simple ideas which id really like to see more of implemented in PC games:

(assuming the game has been sucessfully pirated and downloaded by someone) how about Coding the game so that pirated copies cannnot proceed beyond a certain time spent playing, or Level Reached. I have seen this applied to Batman Arkham Asylum, and the results put a smile on my face as people with pirated copies called tech support reporting a certain bug which was actually planted there.. Busted! :lol:

And how about a 'Try before you buy' Service? We need more Demo's out there, thankfully Dev's are slowly coming to realise this and we've had a slight increase in them, but theres much room for improvment.

Edited by SenitaL

Meh.. piracy affects Consoles too, and in some ways Developers lose out just as much on console sales, because Game stores can Sell and Re-Sell console games Used for a fraction of the retail price to their content, Whilst when you buy a PC Game, its a 1 time thing, no returns for you unless its still sealed.

DRM is Hurtfull to legit buyers and thats a fact, but its also necessary to keep the pirates at bay (geddit? .. sorry lol) and day 0/1 piracy is a big problem. I think companys/Developers are going about this in Completely the wrong way, i mean take This instance for example - needing a Constant internet connection just to play? .. thats just Plain Retarded, in ways which my words cant begin to express. We need a Robust Universal System which is both effective against pirates and Not harmful to Legitamate Buyers. Sound impossible? not really, you just need to put many heads together for a brainstorming session, heres just 2 simple ideas which id really like to see more of implemented in PC games:

(assuming the game has been sucessfully pirated and downloaded by someone) how about Coding the game so that pirated copies cannnot proceed beyond a certain time spent playing, or Level Reached. I have seen this applied to Batman Arkham Asylum, and the results put a smile on my face as people with pirated copies called tech support reporting a certain bug which was actually planted there.. Busted! :lol:

And how about a 'Try before you buy' Service? We need more Demo's out there, thankfully Dev's are slowly coming to realise this and we've had a slight increase in them, but theres much room for improvment.

I agree with the second idea completely, a lack of good demos makes a big difference, I personally don't even consider buying a game usually unless I've tried the demo already and like it. As for coding bugs into the game, I don't like that idea because it can still be hacked and if poorly coded, the game may apply that to a legit copy, and sure it can be patched most likely but wouldn't it be better to just focus on the game instead? It's because batman arkham asylum did this that I didn't and will not buy the game, I don't have any appreciation for them stopping pirates that most likely never would have bought the game in the first place.

I'm not trying to start an argument about piracy or anything, just thinking I would appreciate games more if developers actually spent all their time developing it and not trying to stop piracy with it.

I agree with the second idea completely, a lack of good demos makes a big difference, I personally don't even consider buying a game usually unless I've tried the demo already and like it. As for coding bugs into the game, I don't like that idea because it can still be hacked and if poorly coded, the game may apply that to a legit copy, and sure it can be patched most likely but wouldn't it be better to just focus on the game instead? It's because batman arkham asylum did this that I didn't and will not buy the game, I don't have any appreciation for them stopping pirates that most likely never would have bought the game in the first place.

I'm not trying to start an argument about piracy or anything, just thinking I would appreciate games more if developers actually spent all their time developing it and not trying to stop piracy with it.

A very good point :) and now that you mention it, i did hear that some people with legit copys were having some of those issues, and thats a Real shame because if the game Was coded nicely and the bugs didnt affect legit buyers at all then id have thought it a sucess, remember that Developers ar'nt aiming to Kill of piracy completely, (they know thats impossible) their aim is to merely limit the damage as best they can ;) That being said, i do agree with you 100% that they should be focusing more on Creating Great games, perhaps there should be a universal 3rd party chosen, like tages for example (urgh i remember the problems i had with them when i wanted to try out Riddick), to take care of the DRM or whatnot, leaving the devs to focus on their job :)

Edited by SenitaL

Retarded ideas like this actually make me want to go out of my way and pirate their game just in spite.

And that will happen. Spore anyone?

Instead of wasting time and money trying to wage war against Piracy they should focus all that time and energy learning how to make a fun game. Then pray you pull in more money than you lose. If Microsoft, the richest software giant on earth can't stop piracy why does Ubisoft think it can? Idiots.

And sorry but Ubisoft doesn't exactly rank that high on my list of companies that knows how to make a fun game. Some of their games start off fun, then it quickly dissipates and I regret wasting both my time and money on their crap. They're spending their money in the wrong areas. Just another Gaming Dev riding the Failboat Lollipop.

UBI = EAv2

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much anything by Valve has been cracked and they use a pretty robust method of keeping piracy low. Look at how quick Modern Warfare 2 was cracked so pirates could play with legit players! There is nothing a little creative coding can't crack.

Pretty much anything by Valve has been cracked and they use a pretty robust method of keeping piracy low. Look at how quick Modern Warfare 2 was cracked so pirates could play with legit players! There is nothing a little creative coding can't crack.

Uh, just because a game appears on Steam, doesn't mean it's made by Valve. In fact, 90% of the time, it isn't. Valve itself probably has some of the lowest piracy rates because they have 1) a lot of multi-player games, and 2) high quality games. Two big deterrents to piracy.