Future Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

cirro

This issue with this is 40% of households don't have broadband in the US. Who knows how many of those that do have broadband are satellite/super slow dsl/verizon mobile customers for their internet. So lets say it's only 10% that have those, that means 50% of households their games. That seems like a potentially huge lose compared to people that will just pirate the game.

Well like I said it's not a viable option right know for most people but who knows what it will be as internet speeds increase just look 10 years ago everyone was using dial up.

I think when cloud gaming is released it isn't going to take the gaming market due to the limitations but overtime it will probably become popular just like consoles started off slow and soon took over the gaming market.

I don't really see how they are making more money by trying to stop piracy, I mean first of all, spending time on DRM means they spend less time on the actual game, and the DRM itself drops sales anyway, so now they have less sales than they ever did before with the pirates, and the people that think that game hasn't been improved, and the people that refuse to put up with such DRM, that's really all I see happening here, just the game developers digging more and more holes for themselves.

I don't really understand why everyone is getting so excited about onlive either, I mean you will be paying full price for games that you won't ever actually own, it's not even on a disc or hard drive of your own, and there is no way everyone's internet connection can keep up to make onlive successful, we can't even get P2P systems to work well.

If they are able to stop piracy then they can force everyone to buy a copy of the game if they want to play it which would make them more money versus people pirating it and getting it for free not paying for it which looses the developer money.

I don't think they will release games that don't have DRM because then the gaming industry will probably end up like the music industry were nobody pays for anything.

I don't agree with onlive either but you have to understand most people who play games don't care about what happens behind the seen as long as they are able to play there games at a low cost they could careless if the game is stored on there computer or not or if there game is rendered local or at a remote location.

It's not like the these companies aren't making any money, I'm sure they can all still afford their yachts, mansions and Lamborghini's even if piracy increases.

But there still businesses and most businesses nowadays are always trying to figure out ways to make more money no matter how much money they have.

Edited by fire_storm

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well like I said it's not a viable option right know for most people but who knows what it will be as internet speeds increase just look 10 years ago everyone was using dial up.

I think when cloud gaming is released it isn't going to take the gaming market due to the limitations but overtime it will probably become popular just like consoles started off slow and soon took over the gaming market.

If they are able to stop piracy then they can force everyone to buy a copy of the game if they want to play it which would make them more money versus people pirating it and getting it for free not paying for it which looses the developer money.

I don't think they will release games that don't have DRM because then the gaming industry will probably end up like the music industry were nobody pays for anything.

I don't agree with onlive either but you have to understand most people who play games don't care about what happens behind the seen as long as they are able to play there games at a low cost they could careless if the game is stored on there computer or not or if there game is rendered local or at a remote location.

But there still businesses and most businesses nowadays are always trying to figure out ways to make more money no matter how much money they have.

That's the thing, it's a big if, and so far nothing has worked and I don't really see this constant internet connection working. They aren't going to force anyone to buy something that they never intended to buy in the first place, the whole reason piracy exists is because of the price being too high on most games now, no one wants to spend $60 for all of their games and no one should be forced to switch to console just because it's the only thing these games can be rented out on, and if you don't mind me asking, since you seem to be on top of this, why aren't these DRM method being implemented on consoles? Consoles have piracy as well, piracy is not a pc exclusive thing.

According to all of this logic, the music industry failed because people did not constantly have an internet connection every time they turned on their ipod to listen to black eyed peas latest hit. DRM does nothing and the sooner these companies figure out that the reason piracy exists is that they are overpricing their stuff then everything will be better.

Also, I don't really care what the majority of the people out there think about how their games work, what I know is that onlive is a streaming service, meaning you will never actually own those games, you won't be allowed to backup those games or ever play them again if onlive fails. Also how do you know all the games are going to be at a low cost to never own? I haven't heard about any price tags for any of the games for onlive, but I do know that EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. are very greedy, and they don't feel the need to lower their prices just because a bunch of people out there don't understand how onlive works, these companies aren't going to take pity on anyone and they will do everything they can to get more and more money out of people, that's exactly why they raised the prices of the pc versions of their games, because they knew no one would fight them on it, and they were right because there are tons of people still buying these games even though they are more overpriced than they were half a hear ago.

Normally I don't really care to argue about these kind of things but it's really almost like you are saying these companies have a right to install spyware on computers now just because they are magically losing sales that they didn't have in the first place. Honestly, I think the way the gaming industry is now, I think they deserve to end up like the music industry, if developers want to release crap games and charge higher prices every year then they should be kicked off their high chair for it.

I really don't even know why I have to say this kind of stuff, I don't understand why people are okay with paying more and more money for less and less material, or why people think they need to defend these huge businesses that charge more for less.

That's the thing, it's a big if, and so far nothing has worked and I don't really see this constant internet connection working. They aren't going to force anyone to buy something that they never intended to buy in the first place, the whole reason piracy exists is because of the price being too high on most games now, no one wants to spend $60 for all of their games and no one should be forced to switch to console just because it's the only thing these games can be rented out on, and if you don't mind me asking, since you seem to be on top of this, why aren't these DRM method being implemented on consoles? Consoles have piracy as well, piracy is not a pc exclusive thing.

But the amount of piracy that happens on a console is very small when compared to PCs and it's a bit more difficult and risky to pirate xbox360 games because the xbox360 usually has to have some time of hacked firmware or software installed which voids the warranty if the flash doesn't go right or some problem emerges like getting a firmware update from Microsoft that wreaks your console or getting banned.

According to all of this logic, the music industry failed because people did not constantly have an internet connection every time they turned on their ipod to listen to black eyed peas latest hit. DRM does nothing and the sooner these companies figure out that the reason piracy exists is that they are overpricing their stuff then everything will be better.

Most business don't put limits on there profit margins if there's a way to be making more money they will do it. Also there's no guarantee that if the price of a game was just lowered to let's just say 10 dollars a game people would buy it instead of pirate it. Besides the people who pirate games because of DRM messing up there game if there's a free way of getting something people will pirate it no matter how little it costs.

Also, I don't really care what the majority of the people out there think about how their games work, what I know is that onlive is a streaming service, meaning you will never actually own those games, you won't be allowed to backup those games or ever play them again if onlive fails. Also how do you know all the games are going to be at a low cost to never own? I haven't heard about any price tags for any of the games for onlive, but I do know that EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. are very greedy, and they don't feel the need to lower their prices just because a bunch of people out there don't understand how onlive works, these companies aren't going to take pity on anyone and they will do everything they can to get more and more money out of people, that's exactly why they raised the prices of the pc versions of their games, because they knew no one would fight them on it, and they were right because there are tons of people still buying these games even though they are more overpriced than they were half a hear ago.

I haven't seen any prices for Onlive yet but you'd have to assume that the cost of using there service would start off cheap. If they start off by charging a high price tag per month or year then no one seen any reason to go to them and it would wreak there company.

I personally don't agree with Onlive like I've said before because of the things you've said above but you have to remember there's a lot of people out there how don't think of these things or don't care when they buy these services and unfortunately the masses control the market.

Normally I don't really care to argue about these kind of things but it's really almost like you are saying these companies have a right to install spyware on computers now just because they are magically losing sales that they didn't have in the first place. Honestly, I think the way the gaming industry is now, I think they deserve to end up like the music industry, if developers want to release crap games and charge higher prices every year then they should be kicked off their high chair for it.

I really don't even know why I have to say this kind of stuff, I don't understand why people are okay with paying more and more money for less and less material, or why people think they need to defend these huge businesses that charge more for less.

I'm not trying to defend these companies at all I believe it's not right either the only reason why I argue about what people say is because it seems like people aren't getting the big picture with DRM. Game developers don't use DRM because there stupid it's because they use it to try to increase there profit margins.

Until both the Game Developer stops using DRM and the gamer stops pirating the games I don't see this problem going away at all.

Edited by fire_storm

Okay, my entire point here is that these companies still make millions even though they claim to be losing a lot of money to piracy, and I honestly think they lose more money fighting piracy than they otherwise would, developing DRM isn't free for these companies, it's costing them money, so for them to sit there and waste money to try to stop piracy, which cannot be done, just proves that they are only hurting themselves and paying customers. Just like you said, there is no guarantee that lowering the price will stop piracy, just like there is no guarantee that stopping piracy will get them more sales, but seriously raising the price and adding DRM that does not work is a good way to guarantee that piracy will increase. It doesn't get any simpler than that, higher price and more DRM simply means more piracy.

Edited by Deathmineral

watch out, one day we will start seeing USB dongle's (anyone ever heard of Quark ? )

on basic PC titles $29.99 and above

although they are just as crackable, it would eliminate novice users that can only "copy n paste"

as it stands, the ability of stopping or even identifying the true loss/risk (due to massive scale of piracy)

IMO is impossible, just like drugs.

as most people wish for a drug free USA, we all know better than to ever really expect it to happen.

unless they find some newfound way, it will remain just the same with piracy, except piracy is a global level.

which i assum is one hellofalot harder

Honestly, I can definitely see them going that far, I've come across software with USB dongles before, and if they really went that far, I would completely stop gaming because by that point they are making games just as a means to try to stop piracy and not for what games are supposed to be for, fun.