Looking to upgrade my GTX570

GmAz

I've been out of the loop on current computer components for a bit now with kids, work, kids, kids, kids....they never stop....but am looking to upgrade my GTX570 and figured I'd ask for a couple suggestions.  I have no loyalty to NVidia and I've heard some good things about the new AMD 280 line but most of that is from paid reviewers.  I'd rather get some thoughts from people who have them and use them instead of just review them for a living.  

My budget is about $300 for a card but that is flexible to a certain degree.  

My specs in my signature is current.

Edited by GmAz

Based on the OPs budget there isn't any way that he is going to swing a GTX 780.

As for the R9 280X versus GTX 770 comparison, I'd figure in the desired monitor resolution and what the primary purpose of your rig is.

If you're a gamer and your monitor resolution is 1920x1200 or less get the GTX 770

If you're a gamer and your monitor resolution is higher than 1920x1200 or you run multiple monitors, get the R9 280X.

This recommendation is based solely on the amount of VRAM on the respective cards.  The standard GTX 770 has 2Gb of VRAM, the standard 280X has 3Gb of VRAM.

As for me, right now I'm boycotting all R9 purchases due to the inflated marketplace pricing.

If I were going to buy a GTX 770 2Gb card right now it would be the MSI GTX 770 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

$319.99 w/free shipping

If I were going to buy a R9 280X card right now it would probably be the XFX Black Edition Double D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150690

$349.99 w/free shipping

ON TOPIC

Wevsspot does have a point regarding the resolution, if you do happen to have a higher resolution monitor than 1900x1200, the extra 1gb vram would help you out in the long run.

OFF TOPIC

lol at that 8 item combo discount on newegg, an AMD sempron with three R9 280X's, totally not a bottle neck there xD

PYF3UAU.png

When you look at the differences between the R9 280X  and HD 7970  series they are really neck and neck depending on the clock speed of the core right out of the box. They should be since they are using basically the same core and clock for clock they will perform within a small envelope. The second part of the equation comes down to the game titles you like to play. Some titles play with higher FPS levels with one manufacturer vs the other. Compare the GTX 770 and R9 280X from my most recent review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_vapor_x_r9_280x_tri_x_oc/  and you can see where the R9 280X and 770 are respectively with actual game runs. Choose by your game and the resolution you play not by brand loyalty.  

Are you looking to upgrade just to upgrade, or are you really noticing performance not being up to par with the GTX 570 for certain games? That card, and I'm assuming you're at least overclocking at stock, is comparable to a HD 7850, so it's still a pretty powerful card for gaming.

Sorry for the delayed response, work and kids, they take up a lot of time.  I'm upgrading for gaming purposes.  I run my games at 1080p as that is my monitor's native resolution.  I will eventually upgrade to a 27" monitor with a higher resolution, but I want an IPS monitor for the photography work I do and those tend to get a bit more expensive.  I'm going to get Titanfall and though I know my 570 will play it just fine, I do have Battlefield 4 which runs a bit slow at times.  I usually have to turn my settings down.  I am playing Diablo 3 right now with the expansion and though not graphically intensive, it has been 'hiccuping' lately.  Not sure why, my computer is more than capable enough to run it.  May be a driver or something.  There are a few games coming up that I want to play too that will need a better video card to run it on max settings.  I will probably end up going with the 770.  

I might get slammed for this suggestion, but if you're on a tight budget you might consider scouring the Marketplace here and at other forums you frequent and see if anyone is trying to part with a GTX 670 or GTX 680.  I've seen prices falling on those on those here lately.  Or maybe even two GTX 660 Ti cards?  Even the GTX 670 is still a more than capable card.

I agree with wevs, I'd either max out your budget now, or make a minor upgrade and save your budget for future cards. You can find used HD 7950 3GB's for $190. You can probably find GTX 680 2GB's at that price, or slightly higher. Some new cards will come out by the end of this year, if you can wait that long, and $300 will give you a card equal to a GTX 780 3GB in performance by then.

If you plan to move up to 2560x1440 than a 4GB 770 or 280X should be the minimum you oughta be looking at IMHO. A used 7950 would be a decent get you by if overclocked though (as I think that's what the new R9 280s essentially are, since the 280Xs are 7970s)