More Leaks/Rumors on AMD 6800 series

HarryTaco

I snagged this post from my other Fav Hardware site. Thought some of you might enjoy having the latest look-see.

Posted by Sampsa Kurri (Admin and writer in Muropaketti)

AMD Radeon ™ HD 6800 Series GPU Detailed Feature Summary

AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 GPU Feature Summary:

* GDDR5 memory interface

* PCI Express® 2.1 x16 bus interface

* Eye-Definition graphics

* Second generation graphics with full DirectX® 11 support

* Shader Model 5.0

* DirectCompute 11

* Programmable hardware tessellation unit

* Accelerated multi-threading

* HDR texture compression

* Order-independent transparency

* Image quality enhancement technology

* AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology

* AMD EyeSpeed visual acceleration3

* AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) technology

* OpenCLSupport

* DirectCompute 11

Accelerated video encoding, transcoding, and upscaling

o UVD 3 dedicated video playback accelerator

o Enhanced Video Quality features

* Advanced post-processing and scaling

* Dynamic contrast enhancement and color correction

* Brighter whites processing (Blue Stretch)

* Independent video gamma control

* Dynamic video range control

AMD HD3D technology

o Stereoscopic 3D display/glasses support

o Blu-ray 3D support

o Stereoscopic 3D gaming

o 3rd party Stereoscopic 3D middleware software support

AMD CrossFireX™ multi-GPU technology

o Dual GPU scaling

Cutting-edge integrated display support

o Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP

o Integrated DisplayPort 1.2 output

o Integrated HDMI 1.4a with support for stereoscopic 3D

o Integrated VGA output

Integrated HD audio controller

o Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required

o Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

AMD PowerPlay™ power management technology

o Dynamic power management with low power idle state

o Ultra-low power state support for multi-GPU configurations

AMD Catalyst™ graphics and HD video configuration software

o Certified drivers for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

o AMD Catalyst™ Control Center - AMD Catalyst™ software application and user interface for setup, configuration, and accessing features of ATI Radeon products

o Unified Graphics display driver - AMD Catalyst™ software enabling other PC programs and devices to use advanced graphics, video, and features of AMD Radeon™ products

6800 planned Oct. 19 release, the original 6870 production early August was going quite well (we visit it its own calculation of Distribution), the end product, 6900 Series is scheduled for release in November. ...... First burst so much, next time be adjourned to the ......

There was what appeared to be an Internal AMD Memo posted with this but it didnt contribute any specs . It just issued warnings stating these were guidelings for OEMs.

EDIT: Seems to match pretty nicely to "leaked" NDA info which is ment for OEM people

So, what's the catch on the new cards? DX12? 4D? 200,000 PPD for folding@home? I'm fine with new stuff because that means lower costs for the end user, but with a stifling global economy and the lack of PC games utilizing the power of the cards that are already out there, I don't see the need of upgrading anytime soon. None of the games I play even use DX11 (though I may be playing Civilization 5 soon).

So, what's the catch on the new cards? DX12? 4D? 200,000 PPD for folding@home? I'm fine with new stuff because that means lower costs for the end user, but with a stifling global economy and the lack of PC games utilizing the power of the cards that are already out there, I don't see the need of upgrading anytime soon. None of the games I play even use DX11 (though I may be playing Civilization 5 soon).

:withstupid:

I'm not sold on the dx11 bandwagon yet. I have too many DX10 or lower games to play. ATI really needs to get an answer for physx, 3D stereoscoping and folding. We already have enough gaming performance!

My 4series card has enough!

:withstupid:

I'm not sold on the dx11 bandwagon yet. I have too many DX10 or lower games to play. ATI really needs to get an answer for physx, 3D stereoscoping and folding. We already have enough gaming performance!

My 4series card has enough!

The problem with a new DirectX technology is that games development takes 2-4 years. So if DX12 just came out, a new game would have to be at the beginning of development to see if they'd want to switch to that technology. Otherwise, they'd have to start their next game, or work on an update that might allow for the newer technology. Which might take another year or two. The other problem is, it takes a while for developers to ramp up on the new DX technology, as well as deciding whether it's worth it. If only 5% of the population has DX11 capable games while 30% has DX10 and 65% have DX9, it just makes sense to make a DX9 game (like StarCraft2). We'll be seeing a lot of DX11 games in a year or two, but since it's relatively new, there's no need to upgrade now unless you're dying to play a game with DX11 capability.