OCZ Gold vs Plat rev 2.

510kut

Well I hear ram prices are going up again. So I'm thinking about buying some now. And maybe sticking it into my current comp until I get around to ordering my new one. how smart am I... lol dont plan on building the comp for a few more weeks yet I wanna buy ram.

Newegg has the OCZ plat rev 2 for 165-20mir

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146890

or

Monarch has the OCZ Gold that AG recomends for 159-25mir

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...=Unbuffered_OCZ

I was reading Sharp's take on ram he suggests the rev2. But a lot of people like the Gold. So would the extra money it costs for the rev2 be worth it? Or is the gold good enough? The good thing about the gold is I dont have to pay tax :P I plan on OC'ing Originally planne don getting a 3000+ but a 3700+ is so enticing right now lol.

i wish i could tell the difference, im in the exact samer delema myself.

aint there OCZ tech's in this forum? im sure they could give the deffinate answer.

and if ram goes up in price....how much of an increase? an xtra 20-30 bucks on a pair of dimms isnt that bad. evin if it means i have to wait a little to make the right choice....now if your talking double the price....then thats a different story.

i wish i could tell the difference, im in the exact samer delema myself.

aint there OCZ tech's in this forum? im sure they could give the deffinate answer.

and if ram goes up in price....how much of an increase? an xtra 20-30 bucks on a pair of dimms isnt that bad. evin if it means i have to wait a little to make the right choice....now if your talking double the price....then thats a different story.

Ignore the price and decide on what you want to get the problem comes if your gold memory is stuck at 240FSB and you want to go hier you will need a divider most of the Tccd like rev2 will go up to 280 with minimal sweat. I would at least get a 3200 if you are going gold and if you are getting a 3500 I sould almost surly get the gold. however you slice it though the gold is a bigger risk and more effort to keep cool- heat wear and tear and the like are going to be your enimies with the gold. Benches are going to most likly be your frend though.

Benches are my friend Joe. ill do anything for them.

i Was thinking the PC 4000 Gold edition would be the best one(mainly because it has a higher number....all the otherstuff is still over my head and i havent taken the time to learn up on it all)

if its speed and performance than i can live with the frustration of figuring out a cooling system. im already toying with the idea of adding a mini fridge motor unit to my CAse. My Icebox has a 12volt moter in it that cools drinks to fridge temps. the whole cooling unit is about 4 inches wide by 9 inches tall and 2.5 inches deep. Its self contained and puts out no moisture, it blows a steady flow of cold air. its really nice, and im thinking of adding that as an intake fan to the side of my case. Ive got a few other copper/aluminum Radiator designs in my head that im toying with for cooling my Ram and harddrives. I havent made up my mind on a cooling system for the GPU/BOard/CPU. since those have to be presice ill get a manufactured one.

well it would be 139.90 at monarch after shipping and 154.83 at newegg after tax and shipping. Well I plan on getting the lian li pc60plus which has a little vent thing that goes over the CPU and a little bit over the ram too. But besides that what else would you do to cool them? hang a fan over them? I'm pretty much set on getting a 3000+ but the 3700+ being 260 has me interested lol. I think I might end up getting the gold to save a little bit of cash. Although the lower temps of the rev2 sound good.

Lower Multi - Platinum Rev. 2 (3000 - 3200)

Higher Multi - GOLD ! (3500)

My Golds maxed at around 235 (2-2-2-7) w/ 3.2v and gave me a pretty sad oc w/ dividers on a 3000+

My Platinum Rev. 2 does around 290 (2.5-4-3-7) w/ 2.9v and gave me a nice overclock and with dividers it will go even higher

Selling my OCZ Golds and just ordered some more Platinum Rev. 2

GL tho

too bad i dont know what the hell your talking about...but it sounds like your saying the PLatnuim is better than the gold since ill get more performance in the end with some tweaking. so i guess that settles it. ill just get a few more second and third opinions and then make my order. thanks

Gold = Winbond UTT BH-5. Feed it mad volts and you should be able to do 250+ with 2-2-2-x or even 1.5-2-2-x timings.

Plat = Samsung TCCD. 2-2-2-x to about 230, but really good for high 1:1 clocks with loose timings and minimal volts.

I think you are better off with the Plat unless you have plans of getting a new motherboard with high vdimm options such as the DFI NForce4 boards (4v vdimm) or maybe the Abit AN8 variants as they have a 3.5 vdimm option.