NF4 SLI-D>illing Slave PCI-Ex GFX cards?

Yip, that is quite weird that it would take out both 2 electrically seperate busses - one PCI-Express, the other PCI. I am running on abit AN8 now, and can run both old Virge S3, and 7800GTX, by selecting first boot slot in the Bios.

Works great....

But, I hope these DFi guru's will give an answer....

Yeah - I'm surprised there has been no reply yet - let's hope they have indeed read this thread and are currently doing some testing...

For benchmarking/overclocking, this board is second-to-none, because of the features if has, but the tendency to kill hardware is too high... from CPUs to memory to graphic cards, and killing itself too...

I think the new version of DFI's NF4 series should combat all these plaguing issues that have cost us enthusiasts thousands of dollars... RIP my venice (damn 704 bios bug)...

To try and get our situation in perspective

We ordered 5 dfi dr boards for different people as they were released as bean said of those rev 1 boards only one is still surviving

bean and myself ordered 4evga 6800u cards together 3 cards died

I then bought 2 xfx 7800u and changed cpu from fx55 ( 130nm) to fx57was running no probs and was on air stock volts on mine except for ram where I was using 3.7v with very good air flow over cards and ram gpu temps showed as gpu1=42C and gpu2=39C

when 6800's went they went one at a time second slot

rma'ed board now using new revision when she lets go and...

when 7800's went both together second card totally dead 1st still comes on but scrambled and intermittent. :confused:

That is just totaly bizzar- as a very very frequent visitor to this forum though I can say that your guys situation is pretty much uniqe- thousands of people with this board and no one but you 5 and a few others have this problem what is up with that? What else do you guys have in common that you all shave such an unusual problem? Do you all have power back up devices? I know these have ben known to blow V-cards and MB's quite a bit in the past.

Google blown Vcards and MB there are plenty for certan other brands but not for DFI.

BTW you really should try and contact DFI through more normal channels or I should say directly and or the reps in your region. AG cant do support for the whole world he is having enough problem with the US. The popularity of the ultra D is staggering and no you cant just plug in most memory and fly without adjusting settings most people dont know anything about.

No offence I doubt it is the MB and if your uninterruptable PSU cant keep up I would take it off for safety reasons. Like I said multiple people with a certan MB had problems and the connecting factor was that.

• 2 weeks later...

i doubt seriously if this is an intelligent idea, and at the risk of sounding the fool, hear goes....

would your location have anything to do with your problems? i dunno....atmosphear/humidity/tempurature? perhaps your regional weather system is playing a part. its a super long shot and im not a smart person when it comes to this sort of thing....but it did cross my mind so i figured id toss it out there.

as dsumanik claims, contact [email protected] and they will most likely ask you to ship the boards/vid cards to them to let them test.

there's nothing that Rgone and I can do for you, even if you lived in the USA other than have you send them to us to take a look at them.

as SmokenJoe says, its very doubtful the motherboard is the culprit (but of course we would say this wouldn't we?).

Weird.. I've been running a EVGA 7800GTX for a while now, until my mobo's 2 DIMM slots like died, the card was running on special bios w/o coldbug and it didn't die... although the dimm did..

lol i doubt theres such a thing as software compatibility with a motherboard, i dont see how thats even possible.

To the dead video card guys:

Are you sure it wasnt overheating? running under water still means theres no airflow over the rest of the cards, just cold temps on the GPU. these 'hexfets' could have simply overheated, yes?

Ram compatibility:

It might not be dead stable out of the box, but once you upgrade the firmware and tweak a little, its the best there currently is. You'd know that if you researched the board

I had a evga6800GT in the top slot when I first got my NF4 SLI-DR. When I first installed everything I left off the extra 2 power connectors (floppy and molex) because I wasn't running SLI. Everything booted up fine and installed windows fine. Well after a couple reboots the video quit coming on until the Windows startup music. I could not view the BIOS screen this way. So after some reading I decided to try the other two power connectors. Hit the power switch and POP. Something on the back of the card literally went up in a flame. I don't know what you would call it (capacitor, transistor, hexfet) whatever it was it blew. Luckily it didn't take anything else out and I still use this board today. After running 3 different Nvidia cards (the replacement evga 6800GT, XFX 6800 Ultra, BFG 6600GT OC) with all 3 doing the exact same delayed video thing, I tried an ATI X700 Pro and X800XL. Both of these have worked perfectly for me. After I started overclocking I knew I was going to have to plug those extra 2 connectors back in and boy was I nervous. Luckily nothing happened and I've been fine ever since. I know this probably don't help you much, but just wanted to tell you I had a similar problem with an evga card.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Guys,

Must be some incompatibility with 6800U and DF board.

I sold the DFI board, and got myself a replacement (rma) for the dead card from Newegg, and got another 7800GTX.

New Abit board running like a dream. Wife enjoying her new gaming rig, while I am having fun wih my Dothan setup ;)

Thanx for all replies.

Can a Mod please close this thread, thanx.

Br,

MrBean.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a similar problem my self. Got home from work the other day. turned on my computer and read some emails. Went to the bathroom, came back and the monitor was black. Ive only got 1 light on for the diagnostic led's. System gives the failure beep as soon as it get to the vga detection LED. I kept restarting it and finally got a signal for about 10 seconds and the video was corrupt and went black again. I RMA'd my x800xl but im kinda scared to put another video card in