NF3 250Gb>Games Stuttering.. Mobo At Fault?

Currently there is no fix for a nearly 16 month old snafu by Nvidia so far as anyone really knows to this date. Pretty well summed up in this below and is current as of a few minutes ago since I have such a combo and I have been keeping tabs for about 3 months lately.

BFG video card company told one user this:

I've been having a problem with game-crippling stuttering in newer games for some time now. I was in contact with my graphics card's company, BFG, for some time trying to rectify the problem when they finally asked me "...are you using an nforce 3 motherboard? If so, then there currently is no 100% solution for the stuttering problem." They went on to say that the only solutions to my problem were to use older graphics drivers, an older graphics card, or another motherboard.

From Nvidia forums:

1st user> I'm running an Asus K8N-E Delux mobo and an eVga 6800 Ultra. And yes, I've been experiencing the stuttering problems since day one. It's infuriating. The card works well in an non-nf3 system, and geforece4 card doesn't have the stuttering on my K8N-E Delux.

2nd user> Its a 2-10 second pause in gameplay that occurs in DirectX games.

It can occur in any game, seems random according to system setup. But one thing is common nf3/6800.

Disabling Fast-writes and using forceware 66.93, seems to be the most common work around that works for most people...give it a try.

You can also check out the thread on nvnews.com called "6800 and random freezes" or something like that...lotsa info...

3rd user> Over at nV News forums (see geforce 6 and 7 board) there is a sticky that is 1 year old about this problem and new stuff is still being posted, WOW. This problem went under my radar and if I had known about it I would have for sure gone with diff setup.

Following a post about the 80.40 drivers seems to have fixed my problem along with turning fast writes off in BIOS.

Thanks for the forum and good luck to those that still have a problem.

That about sums up the problem with an Nvidia NF3 chipset and their own 6800 video cards.

RGone...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

Has anybody tried to change pci latency? I have had the same stuttering in games specially in ex. FarCry, HL2.. When playing online the stuttering is more common.

I had in the past MSI 754 (same cpu, gpu...) mobo and it had also stuttering. PCI latency chance did help a bit, less stut.

I upgraded to DFI & new PSU (380W to 480W). Still some stuttering.

But latency chance will probably help you!

QUOTE from Guru3D:

"Apparently, newer high-end video cards hog PCI latency for no known reason. This makes other components wait for access and causes stutters and thus lower frame rates. If you adjust the latency this might benefit you, users are reporting big improvements."

The default latency for new GPU card is 256! Try set it to 64 or 128. Think 32 to be lowest setting! Ps this could be a per game setting. I use 32 & 64clk.

Good tools to use:

#1 I prefer ATItool 0.24 (remembers settings, fan control & OC) @ TechPowerUp

#2 PCI Latency Tool 2.7 @ Guru3D (this is purely latencytool for all components)

.....Havent read all the posts......

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to be pointing you to turning Fast Writes off in the Bios but what about Fast Writes in the driver you installed for the card?

I had a similar problem with the official drivers so go here http://www.omegadrivers.net/ and get these drivers, when installing make sure fast writes are off (they are by default)... It solved my stuttering.

Hopefully that will solve your problem... let us know how you get on.

Currently there is no fix for a nearly 16 month old snafu by Nvidia so far as anyone really knows to this date. Pretty well summed up in this below and is current as of a few minutes ago since I have such a combo and I have been keeping tabs for about 3 months lately.

BFG video card company told one user this:

I've been having a problem with game-crippling stuttering in newer games for some time now. I was in contact with my graphics card's company, BFG, for some time trying to rectify the problem when they finally asked me "...are you using an nforce 3 motherboard? If so, then there currently is no 100% solution for the stuttering problem." They went on to say that the only solutions to my problem were to use older graphics drivers, an older graphics card, or another motherboard.

From Nvidia forums:

1st user> I'm running an Asus K8N-E Delux mobo and an eVga 6800 Ultra. And yes, I've been experiencing the stuttering problems since day one. It's infuriating. The card works well in an non-nf3 system, and geforece4 card doesn't have the stuttering on my K8N-E Delux.

2nd user> Its a 2-10 second pause in gameplay that occurs in DirectX games.

It can occur in any game, seems random according to system setup. But one thing is common nf3/6800.

Disabling Fast-writes and using forceware 66.93, seems to be the most common work around that works for most people...give it a try.

You can also check out the thread on nvnews.com called "6800 and random freezes" or something like that...lotsa info...

3rd user> Over at nV News forums (see geforce 6 and 7 board) there is a sticky that is 1 year old about this problem and new stuff is still being posted, WOW. This problem went under my radar and if I had known about it I would have for sure gone with diff setup.

Following a post about the 80.40 drivers seems to have fixed my problem along with turning fast writes off in BIOS.

Thanks for the forum and good luck to those that still have a problem.

That about sums up the problem with an Nvidia NF3 chipset and their own 6800 video cards.

RGone...

Rgone,

I am very glad I found this thread and this post. I have been having this problem everysince I put this mb and Vid card in . I have spent so much time trying to trouble shoot it. I kept thinking my Ram or Page file was the issue. I am still having the problem with no fix but at least I know I am not crazy .

Thanks Again

I was having the stuttering problem with my eVGA 6800GT with BF2 only (In single & multiplayer games). I was using all setings to medium except one that was off (i don't remember wich one) and 1024x768@75hz. Yesterday I installed patch v1.03 and all the stuttering was gone, so I turned all settings to high and 1024x768@75hz and the game was stutter free!!!!!!!! BTW:I'm using 78.03 nvidia drivers, mixed Mobo drivers (nf4+nf3).