RAM stability issues Venice, Ultra-D, 4400C25

I read a lot of articles about the 4400c25, and only heard good things. I also heard good things about the OCZ VX stuff, but I did not want to mess with the heavy voltages it requires. Anandtech is one of my favorite sources for info, and they ran the 4400c25's at 1T up to 310MHz with tight timings on the LanParty board. Here is the link to that article:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2386

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange thing is, that you can find ppl which run them at nice speed and timings. I've nearly tested all possible combinations of timings till now. No success.

I will RMA the sticks soon. If the replacement won't work either, I'll trash them at ebay. :(

Very sorry, since they work great singly or in dual channel up to 310MHz - but only in memtest. Don't know what's the problem, if you don't get errors in memtest, but in Windows benching/stressing.

Strange thing is, that you can find ppl which run them at nice speed and timings. I've nearly tested all possible combinations of timings till now. No success.

I will RMA the sticks soon. If the replacement won't work either, I'll trash them at ebay. :(

Very sorry, since they work great singly or in dual channel up to 310MHz - but only in memtest. Don't know what's the problem, if you don't get errors in memtest, but in Windows benching/stressing.

yea ive posted on the ram guy forums, hopefully i can get some settings that work. I was starting to wonder if it was a compatibility issue between Venice and 4400c25, but seeing as you have a winnie im not so sure anymore.

I respond to exactly the same sort of thread about Corsair 3200 and 4400 memory every few weeks.

I can't comment on other brands but as far as Corsair is concerned .... it comes down to tolerances. The memory is not faulty .... it simply can't be driven at certain expected (even stock) settings. I have tried two lots of 3200 and 3 lots of 4400. The last lot of 4400 runs beautifully at stock settings as long as volts are at 2.9.

You could talk to 50 people. 10 may rave about them because they have no problems, 30 maybe reasonably happy because they have set them to 2T or interleave and be stable (to do this really hacked me off which is why I kept RMAing it) and the other 10 may try 2 or 3, never have luck and say it's crap.

I'm afraid it can't be crap .... it just doesn't in the main suit the DFI. You may however be lucky though.

As regard interleave and 2T .... don't believe what you read if you're just looking at stock .... it makes next to no difference in benchmarks or games .... I've tested both. I say this .... because it's the truth. Would I accept not being able to run stock .... no .... but that is a personal choice.

Paul.

I have posted over at the ram guy forums. He wants me to install the latest BIOS (beta BIOS). I know 5/10 is the latest beta BIOS, but which one is right for my ram...-1,-2, or -3? I have not found any clear explanations for the difference between these.

Too true, I have major probs with my RAM too. The magical RAM_GUY on Corsair help forums wasn't a whole lot of help either, basically told me 2T or nothing. :(

So I'm defecting and buying some nice shiny OCZ RAM, either 4000 VX or 5000 EL. Depending on their pricing next week. ;)

i hope you are aware of the cold boot issue UTT (i.e. OCZ VX) RAM and the sli-dr is having.

read it here, notice the thread has been accessed 10 THOUSAND times and counting.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12342

there are tons of threads in forums all over the net regarding this issue and i personally have had 4 dimms replaced by OCZ with no apperant cause or source of the issue to be found, just dead memory. No one knows whos at fault yet for sure..but UTT plus sli-dr = fifty fifty chance of winding up with a cold boot problem in the first 6 months, or likely in the first few days.

however, oskar wu himself has just sent me a hand tested and verified board and i will soon have some new mem to test with. We will see if it lasts more than 2 days this time around.

Dont bother, i did and got the same results, its not to do with the ram its something with the DFI boards.

I have tested my sticks on the the 3 NF4 boards from ABIT/ASUS/GIGABYTE and it works great on all of them, infact it pushes past 300mhz 1:1 on the ASUS one.

This board however wont do more than 250mhz

this is my experience w xms3200xlpt tccd...

with all the -3 bios, it need higher voltage...

venice is too forgiving in ram timing...

u might get it memtest stable...but freeze in windows....

u might switch ram to different slots....venice might not like it too....

true....my winnie never did this to me before but venice did...

read preamble time had to be slightly higher than running winnie...by 1

the rest are quite close...

my venice also don't let tccd run too tight a timing too...the timing just had to loosen abit

those trrd ~ twtr loosen a bit would be better for venice on tccd..

hope this helps...