** A64 Overclocking Guide **

Again Thanks for a superior guide. If I'm out of order, you can delete this.

Nope your fine.. Its always nice to hear that my guide helped people and not that its confusing people..lol..

Be sure to read through all the other stickies.. Especially the memory guide linked in my sig..

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my A64 3000 to run at 2.4ghz. I used a HTT of 267Mhz however since my Ram are Kingston value Ram i didnt wanted to overclock them, so i set the memory ratio at 200:150 and i got the ram working at 200.1 Mhz. My problem is that when i go to Ntune (nvidia), it says that the Memory bus is running at "534.196(DDR)Mhz"

Is that good? How can i calculate that? am i killing my cpu by doing that? :confused:

PS: This is the first cpu that i have ever overclocked! :rolleyes:

I got my A64 3000 to run at 2.4ghz. I used a HTT of 267Mhz however since my Ram are Kingston value Ram i didnt wanted to overclock them, so i set the memory ratio at 200:150 and i got the ram working at 200.1 Mhz. My problem is that when i go to Ntune (nvidia), it says that the Memory bus is running at "534.196(DDR)Mhz"

Is that good? How can i calculate that? am i killing my cpu by doing that? :confused:

PS: This is the first cpu that i have ever overclocked! :rolleyes:

Dont use Ntune.. I like to use Everest or Cpuz to check my mem speed..

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got a question about this guide. In the guide it says to find the max of the CPU and RAM. First I found the max OC for the RAM by lowering the CPU multiplier to make sure CPU did not have any influence. I tested very long, first HTT @ 220, 230, 240, 250 and then at last I tried 260. My RAM was stable @ 260 in Memtest for 8 hours, so I thought thats nice :) and I felt it was enough for now.

After that I did the same with finding the max of my cpu also @ 260 HTT x10 (2600mhz) with RAM running very low, I tested it in OCCT and SuperPi and it was stable.

So now I thought when I put them both together now @ 260 HTTx10 multiplier it should be fine, but then in memtest86 v3.2 I got loads of errors. How is that possible? I tested them seperately and it was fine and now when I test them both together on 260x10 I get errors. :confused:

I use socket 754 LP nF3 250gb, maybe its a stupid question but I'd like to know

Thank You

Thanks guys! Very good job on this! I just bought the Lanparty-SLI-DR board and ending with it a long period of fighting with ASUS bull....! I'm currently upgrading my system and would like to hear your opinion about my components and how you

overclocked your board. Maybe there is somebody here with just the exact same specs like me! Thanks!

Cooler Master Stacker with Cross Flow

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR (working on my own 1/2" water cooling block for the NV4 chip)

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 + Dangerden TDX

EVGA 6800GT PCIE + Dangerdan NV68

Corsair Twinx 1024-4400C25PT DDR550

2 x WD 74GB

Thermaltake 680 Watt

Cooler Master Aquagate water cooling (modified to 1/2''), Fass-o-Matic reservoir, Black Ice Pro 120 mm + Panflo high speed fan (115CFM)

FOR SELL - Dangerden Maze4 Chipset cooler (2 days old, never used)

When the multi goes up the ram controller is working that much more hard. What you'll have to do is decide if you want to lower FSB or use a divider or whatever.

You can use a divider(which is the almost like a multi increase if you think about it), or lower your multi and max out your ram. I recommend getting your cpu as high as possible so I'm a big fan of dividers. I think you should have 9/10 on that board so I'd fire that up and see how high you can get it. Also make sure you have a big 90-120 blowing directly on your ram or a couple of 80's strapped to gether and you may find your ram can go a good bit higher than without fans.

9/10's of 260=234 so It's not a big loss. You didn't say what your cpu max is so who knows you might be able to get your cpu a little higher and have your ram run at 255 or something. The weak spot is usually the mem controller so it may clock higher.

When the multi goes up the ram controller is working that much more hard. What you'll have to do is decide if you want to lower FSB or use a divider or whatever.

You can use a divider(which is the almost like a multi increase if you think about it), or lower your multi and max out your ram. I recommend getting your cpu as high as possible so I'm a big fan of dividers. I think you should have 9/10 on that board so I'd fire that up and see how high you can get it. Also make sure you have a big 90-120 blowing directly on your ram or a couple of 80's strapped to gether and you may find your ram can go a good bit higher than without fans.

9/10's of 260=234 so It's not a big loss. You didn't say what your cpu max is so who knows you might be able to get your cpu a little higher and have your ram run at 255 or something. The weak spot is usually the mem controller so it may clock higher.

I agree..

Thats why I dont understand why people are so afraid of dividers (If it will help and make the system come together).. This guide is pretty much a base for finding maxes.. But other things can and will come into play..

Like gbomb944 says its possible that once you find the max of your ram and cpu it might not go together as you wish.. Because when you were testing the ram the cpu was on a lower multi which makes the cpu not work as hard as a whole.. (dont forget the mem controller is IN the cpu).. Once you raise the multi it might not be able to cope with the max mem speed AND the max cpu mhz at the same time..

Here is where you need to figure out where that sweet spot is.. Sometimes it requires more voltage.. the use of a dividers... or loosing some timings..

This is a part that requires ALOT of playing around and there really isnt an exact way to go about it.. You just want to try things ONE at a time.. This way you can see what helps and what doesnt.. The biggest mistake you can make is going into bios and changing 10 things at one time ..lol.

Dont be afraid of dividers.. they wont bite.. they are your friend.. :nod:

When I used to oc in the old days you didn't have too many options. If your ram could only go at so many mhz and your multi's and voltages were pretty few to chose from you were SOL. The real result of dividers is that you almost have an unlocked cpu. I guess a lot of newer people don't understand how amazingly cool that is.

It used to be you only had a couple of bus speeds to chose from and nowadays with a board like the dif's you can change voltages in fine increments and your bus goes up 1 mhz at a time. Locked cpu? No problem use the ram dividers. One of the absolute coolest things about dfi is you get a 910(180mhz) divider where most of the other manufacturers only give you the 166 option. All of the difficult problems that you couldn't get around have pretty much been eliminated. It's an overclockers paradise.

The whole idea of overclocking was to get really good performance from parts that weren't the absolute top dollar. So that regular broke guys like me could have a high perfoming system too. Everyone worries about running 1-1 too much. Not having to run 1-1 is like a gift from the oc gods. I'm honestly surprised the cpu manufacturers don't try to stop it.

It's kind of like drag racing. If you've got top fuel money thats great then buy some 600 dollar ram and a 900 dollar cpu. But to me the street rods are cooler with total cpu/ram investment at 2 or 300 and they're maybe 10% slower.

Ive been doing some clocking and came to a reasonable 2695 Mhz. I used 245*11 to get yhere. But as soon as i tried to get it 270*10, the system wouldnt boot anymore. Now that is kinda strange as the speed isnt much different. Im using 1.67V atm. would it be wise to higher the voltage to get more speed out of the cpu? i read something about 1.7V being the max for this kind of processort? Temps are pretty low so im not worried about that...

Ive been doing some clocking and came to a reasonable 2695 Mhz. I used 245*11 to get yhere. But as soon as i tried to get it 270*10, the system wouldnt boot anymore. Now that is kinda strange as the speed isnt much different. Im using 1.67V atm. would it be wise to higher the voltage to get more speed out of the cpu? i read something about 1.7V being the max for this kind of processort? Temps are pretty low so im not worried about that...

Is this @ 1:1.. ?

Have you tested for your max ram speed ?

nah, not yet... first i want to see how far the cpu can go and second i've read here that mem speed isnt as important as tight timings. so i wanna keep my mem at 2-2-2-5-1 timings and then find max Mhz in that (which is prolly 200Mhz). for some reason my memory wont go very high on tight timings.

IMO you're pushing your luck with that. I've heard of people who blew up after a couple of seconds of 1.7 so I wouldn't try it.

I'd start at stock volts and 225 timings and just slowly add voltage as needed. Of course you'll have to find out how fast your ram can go and how much voltage it needs first. Then decide if you need a divvie etc. Thats pretty sweet if your getting almost 2700. Just don't blow it up :nod: