** A64 Overclocking Guide **

I have a 3200 winnie, and have had her up to 2.4 but FSB no higher than ~ 248. I see people pushing well past that so I assume they are using 2.5 or 3 rather that 4 or 5? Sorry if this is the wrong place but is 2.4 a good oc for this chip? This is my first try at ocing so not sure and everyone is talking about the venice chips, which I assume will perform better than my winnie.

I appreciate any insight you have or suggestions for higher settings!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 3200 winnie, and have had her up to 2.4 but FSB no higher than ~ 248. I see people pushing well past that so I assume they are using 2.5 or 3 rather that 4 or 5? Sorry if this is the wrong place but is 2.4 a good oc for this chip? This is my first try at ocing so not sure and everyone is talking about the venice chips, which I assume will perform better than my winnie.

That seems a little low but I dont think its far off for a winnie.. If you follow my guide it will help you know if your cpu is maxing out..

Also you NEED to make a sig with your complete system specs.. If your unsure how to do this then check the links in my sig..

Got the sig up.

Couple questions on the guide. Is it better to keep the LDT multiplier at 3.5/4 rather than 5?

and use 8 or 9 rather than 10. Above 10 I have no option.

Trying these I do not make it above 245.

vid control at 150 and stepping special to get into 1.7 range was no help.

Tried moving chip set voltage to 1.6 and 1.6

Also tried setting LDT at 1.3

Dram has been at 3 throughout due to blue screen issues with it stock below 3.

Maybe a psu issue since my connection is 20 pin rather than 24?

Anyone have any suggestions?

hm this guide helped my understand ocing much better but one thing im still not sure about is the cpu multiplier the guide says to put it at default (which is 11x in my case) but some say that lowering this or upping it could make better performance. from what i hear ppl say that a higher multiplier and a lower fsb leads to higher overall mhz but lower multipliers and higher fsb could be more unstable but higher performance?

my 3200+ winchester crapped out at 2.4 until the day it died, so dont feel bad...a 3200+ venice seems to be hitting 2.6+ these days (and has the stronger memory controller)

hm this guide helped my understand ocing much better but one thing im still not sure about is the cpu multiplier the guide says to put it at default (which is 11x in my case) but some say that lowering this or upping it could make better performance. from what i hear ppl say that a higher multiplier and a lower fsb leads to higher overall mhz but lower multipliers and higher fsb could be more unstable but higher performance?

Your kinda right about what you heard .. This guide is mostly to get a idea of where things max out seperatly and then after that you have to tweak and play with things to get them to work together.. Honestly, I havent noticed much of a drop in overall mhz when the htt is raised up compared to when its low.. But im sure this varies from cpu to cpu ..

You need to make a complete sig with all your system specs please... If you dont know how to then check the links in my sig..thanks

specs in sig if you want help

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

:confused:

To say that I'm confused over the varying differences in the sockets and cpu combinations would be an understatement. Example A: ME..I have a AMD 64 3200 2.0 Clawhammer on a DFI LP UT NF3 754 socket. Example B: Another person has what seems to be the same cpu with perhaps a different core but on a 939 socket...what gives? Are these chips universal on both sockets? Did I miss something in the application of these things when they came out? I was under the impression that the 939's were for the FX chips...can you help clarify this for me Thunda? Thanks!

:confused:

To say that I'm confused over the varying differences in the sockets and cpu combinations would be an understatement. Example A: ME..I have a AMD 64 3200 2.0 Clawhammer on a DFI LP UT NF3 754 socket. Example B: Another person has what seems to be the same cpu with perhaps a different core but on a 939 socket...what gives? Are these chips universal on both sockets? Did I miss something in the application of these things when they came out? I was under the impression that the 939's were for the FX chips...can you help clarify this for me Thunda? Thanks!

Basically 939 is a dual channel a64 cpu and the 754 isnt.. They are not universal because they each have a different amount of pins...

But I bet if you do some google searching you'll get a full explaination.. :)