** A64 Overclocking Guide **

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that when you set vcore 1.4 + % is better then 1.55 or so ?

Some have found it to be a little more stable.. I think it was one of the OCZ guys that said it helped with Winnies when overclocking..

I've found that the 90nm cpu's respond better to lower actual vcore + increased special VID (ie instead of 1.55v, setting it to 1.300v + 123% for example)

since i saw that working out well, I have been using it on my 130nm chips also and it seems to work well also!

Guest burningrave101
Some have found it to be a little more stable.. I think it was one of the OCZ guys that said it helped with Winnies when overclocking..

I have spoke to one of the OCZ reps about it before and he said it has something to do with a windows driver adjusting the voltage down to 1.45v if you try to set the vcore higher then 1.45v on the newer A64 chips. He said if you want more then 1.45v that you should use a vcore + special combo to get it.

In other words, dont set the vcore higher then 1.45v.

Guest burningrave101
windows should not (and doesnt to my knowledge) have any bearing on the cpu voltages at all (unless you are running a bios-level program like Ntune)

I havn't looked into it much yet but thats just the word i'm getting from one of the OCZ reps.

The newer AMD64 CPU's (probably drivers) will set your voltage back to 1.45v no matter what you set for VID above 1.45v. This was killing overclocks in Windows of course. I discovered that using lower then 1.45v and the 123% apparently "fools" the CPU or drivers, so you get the voltage you want. I have posted this in a few big forums and most with overclocking issues had much success.

Ill talk to andy about it but i will bet money this just isnt true since Windows only controls voltages with a bios-level software like Ntune (that can manipulate voltages/settings/timings of the BIOS from within windows)

Guest burningrave101
Ill talk to andy about it but i will bet money this just isnt true since Windows only controls voltages with a bios-level software like Ntune (that can manipulate voltages/settings/timings of the BIOS from within windows)

Well maybe its something that AMD has implemented into the new cores to try and keep users from using too much voltage and killing chips?