Overclocking and Windows SP2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimbo / Shinobi / Tecnolover Please keep this going guys, i can't wait to see some definite results on this issue.

You all did a great job gathering data and posting updates. Keep it up guys and THANKS A TON FOR ALL YOUR WORK !!!

Nothing, but it needs SATA drivers to install windows if you use the RAID SATA ports rather than the standard ones.

your "standard" means IDE ? i guess most of the sata ports need sata drivers to install windows, unless you not using sata drive. Correct me if i am wrong.

your "standard" means IDE ? i guess most of the sata ports need sata drivers to install windows, unless you not using sata drive. Correct me if i am wrong.

You won't need drivers for installing windows XP on the DFI SATA ports if you are NOT using RAID.

If you are getting blue screens it's likely from memory timings/voltage. I'd suggest setting BIOS to 2.7v on your memory and changing the first few timings as follows:

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 4

Tras: 8

Trp: 3

That should get you on the way at least. From there it's lots of tweaking. ;) You should be able to run those timings to at least 275MHz if not 300+.

Also, you should do some searching on this forum as I believe there was some issue with our boards and certain types of Corsair memory.

Hope this helps!

That's it!

That's the one!

It's DEP!

I've turned it off and I'm now in Win XPSP2 with 9 x 316!!!

:nod: :shake:

Before, I could never get past 9 x 290 - 300!

Many, many thanks to Worthington for his suggestion about turning DEP off in the first place!

Many thanks to Shinobi for his continued ideas and 'encouragement' (come on Jimbo! ;))

OK, here's what I did (thanks to link from AAdjuster):

Edit Boot.ini so the switch:

/noexecute=OptIn

after the Windows OS selection reads:

/noexecute=AlwaysOff

(watch capitilization).

Hey presto!

Has anyone with a SanDiego tried this to see if they can get past the 2800 MHz barrier many pp say they cant go over ?

You won't need drivers for installing windows XP on the DFI SATA ports if you are NOT using RAID.

If you are getting blue screens it's likely from memory timings/voltage. I'd suggest setting BIOS to 2.7v on your memory and changing the first few timings as follows:

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 4

Tras: 8

Trp: 3

That should get you on the way at least. From there it's lots of tweaking. ;) You should be able to run those timings to at least 275MHz if not 300+.

Also, you should do some searching on this forum as I believe there was some issue with our boards and certain types of Corsair memory.

Hope this helps!

i have no problem running 275fsb for the ram, just not over 275.. fyi, i have no problems with my drives atm, coz i don't have sata drives.. but using ide to sata converters :)

btw, regarding the ram, i can't get my corsair to go over 275.. not sure what problem that would be . not xp problem definitely coz i can't even pass memtest at 280... hmm.. seems like having bad sticks