Overclocking and Windows SP2

Ok, I have been steady working on my new machine and now am very happy with a stable overclock of DDR500 2-2-2-6. So I decided to let windows do its thing and install service pack 2 upgrade. After its installed and I reboot, Windows gives me a blue screen error whenever it tries to load. Even at FSB200 it still won't load. I had to go into safe mode and uninstall it so I could even get back into windows.

I remember reading somewhere that you should fresh install windows XP with service pack 2 already in it before you overclock your system. I don't have one of the newer XP discs so that isnt an option.

Anyone know why this happens and if there is anything I can do about it? If there is a post already on this issue I'm sorry for the double post, and please point me in that direction. Thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude,

You can use nLite to slipstream SP2 onto any exisiting XP CD.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

I too am having major problems overclocking with XP SP2, but that could be because I used nLite to strip down my XP CD, so I may have removed something essential!

I can overclock fine in 2k and XP Safe Mode, but not XP Proper.......

I am going to resinstall using various slipstreamed / non-slipstreamed XP CDs and see if any work with my overclock......

This is interesting. First I've heard of a SP2 upgrade interferring with overclocking. really wonder what difference it makes between a SP2 upgade and a SP2 slipstream install. Aren't they replacing the same things, only one does it after the install and the other does it during the install?

EDIT: I was starting to think my Windows SP2 (upgrade) was messing up my overclocking because it's memtest error free for hours @ 3.2GHz but get BSOD at 2.9GHz as soon as Windows loads. :confused:

EDIT: I was starting to think my Windows SP2 (upgrade) was messing up my overclocking because it's memtest error free for hours @ 3.2GHz but get BSOD at 2.9GHz as soon as Windows loads. :confused:

Yeah, but Memtest stable and Windows stable can be 2 different things entirely ;)

I know. But 300MHz is a rather large delta between the two.

Buy hey, I'm with you Shinobi, I highly doubt SP2 is putting the brakes on my overclock. That's why I'm asking questions before I drop everything and do a reinstall. :P

You could give it a try Xenolith. I was just saying you can't always trust Memtest, because what can be Memtest stable might not be Windows stable. Who knows, it might work.

Try it and post your results :)

I'm trying other things right now... different BIOS's and dimm slots. And actually I misspoke, it's prime stable (2hrs) @ 2.93GHz/1.575v, but no higher, no matter the vcore.

I'm lovin playin this Newark. :)

Its hard to say though whether sp2 is "putting the brakes" on our overclocks. But remember that I couldn't boot to windows with sp2 installed even when I reset my bios (loaded optimized defaults which gives stock everything). That is just strange!!

But it will boot to safe mode with sp2 installed. So I'm assuming the problem lies somewhere in the normal windows boot with sp2 installed that is making it not recognize hardware or have some conlflict problem. But your guess is as good as mine.

Its hard to say though whether sp2 is "putting the brakes" on our overclocks. But remember that I couldn't boot to windows with sp2 installed even when I reset my bios (loaded optimized defaults which gives stock everything). That is just strange!!

But it will boot to safe mode with sp2 installed. So I'm assuming the problem lies somewhere in the normal windows boot with sp2 installed that is making it not recognize hardware or have some conlflict problem. But your guess is as good as mine.

From that i'd say its not at all related to the overclock but down to some other issue.