Have DFI actually said what the problem is with their NF2 boards?

OK I'm getting really fed up with DFI boards now. I had a LanParty Ultra B that died on me with 4 Leds of Death so I got a 2nd hand Ultra Infinity to replace it.

It booted up fine on default settings so I go into the bios to change the FSB to 200 for my cpu (XP3200) & now it it wont boot up. Same symptoms as my Ultra B so I've now got 2 dead DFI boards and none of the tricks like clearing the cmos overnight with battery out work on either board.

What I want to know is have DFI made any comment on what the issue is that causes all these problems, poor quality control, poor implementation etc; because this is getting beyound a joke now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't seen an official statement, but it's all about getting the correct (and Matching) components together....

Alot of peeps, have had their troubles (to say the least) with the boards and the XP3200................ Including myself.....

I've managed to get mine...... and an infinity build, by using a Bios savior with an alternative bios....

There is a recommended bios for the 200 FSB cpu's , but I am happy with my 6/19 bios....

BUT.............. PLEASE complete a DETAILED signature !!

Cheers

Phil

My NF2 board died sometime last year, I managed to fix it by hotflashing the BIOS. It's running happily in my dad's computer now.

For some reason it seems to crap up if you use memory dividers.

BUT.............. PLEASE complete a DETAILED signature !!

Cheers

Phil

I did complete a sig but it is'nt showing for some reason:) Eitherway the specs are a bit irrelevant really because it's on the test bench with only the essentials connected. I've tried all different types of memory from crap PC2100 all the way through to TwinMos BH-5, OCZ PC4400 & Patriot TCCD. The bios was N24IDB24 on the infinity.

The thing is the LanParty was running fine for nearly a year with an overclocked XP2400, all I did was unplug it when I moved it & bang i get the 4 leds. With the Infinity all I did was change the fsb to what it should be.

The other thing I see on various forums is people saying that the bios must have some how got corrupted which causes the 4 leds of death; but that certainly isn't the case with my LanParty. I put it's bios chip in my Infinity before that died & the Infinity booted fine which proves the chip is ok. I then swapped the chips back & the LanParty still wouldn't boot & the Infinity did. So in my case I can only conclude that something else causes the failure on both boards.

Guest Steve Adams

sudman,

same thing happening to me....im really pissed with this board considering that everyone told me to get it, and said that it's an awsome board and I would be able to run my sempron 3000 just fine. but thats not the case.

Yeah I know what you mean but they are really good boards when the run and that's the most annoying thing.

To update though I have managed to get the LanParty to boot a couple of times now by putting & an old 100fsb Athlon in it with PC2100 ram & leaving the J8 jumper off. However every time I load the default bios settings & put in an Athlon XP i get the 4 leds of death. This doesn't work with the Infinity board though :(

Guest Steve Adams

yeah...same here. I put my 1800 in and bammo works, put my new semp. 3000 on and it dies.

Well I guess im out 120 bucks for a peice of crap......

Guest Buckstitch
yeah...same here. I put my 1800 in and bammo works, put my new semp. 3000 on and it dies.

Well I guess im out 120 bucks for a peice of crap......

On DFI’sweb site the max is

Sempron SDA 2800+ FSB : 333MHz , Ratio : 12, CPU Freq: 2000 A Bios 07/28/2004

On DFI’sweb site the max is

Sempron SDA 2800+ FSB : 333MHz , Ratio : 12, CPU Freq: 2000 A Bios 07/28/2004

Nice find Buck ;) So its actually down to user error not the board. It only actually officially supports upto Sempron 2800... So there you go Steve :)

Nice find Buck ;) So its actually down to user error not the board.

Hmmm....imagine that,do ppl actually have to take responsibilty for the outcome of their builds,even when they pick all of the parts and they're not compatible.

guys i understand your point about the "right bits"

but most mobo s stating DDR400 on a box you put in Xp3200 (a 400ddr cpu) THEY WORK!

This is not user end problem this is a CRAPY designed mobo PERiOD

jus look at all the posts all having the same issue

i for 1 am not a noob at building or OCing rigs

i have 3 systems all failing the sam way with 3 diff CPU s in

its BS!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to be the new guy that hops in and pretends he knows what he's talking about but i've seen alot of dfi bashing and no one defending so i'll throw in my $.02

This board is indeed a good board however it's got quite a temper, you have display some finesse when useing this board. You can just slap it around like a cheap abit whore, oh i'm sorry i meant two dollar whore and get immediate results. You need to start low and slow and get a feel for it then add here and tweak there. If you wanted to adjust three things (cas latency, multi, fsb) ..... oh wait make that four things (voltage) you should have got one of the other brands. Picking a few numbers and throwing voltage at instability isn't the game this board plays, hell i'm not even playing the ungawdly fsb game everyone speaks of with the name dfi and i'm loveing it still. I may not be getting as "good" of results as with my previous board, which should remain nameless, but i'm not about to go shouting screw dfi they're crap