Have DFI actually said what the problem is with their NF2 boards?

MuzTee I think you just need a little more patience, results with these boards come with alot of time and effort which is why I dont think you should have chose this board for friends that can't build a system for themselves, if they aren't takeing the time to research and build they sure as hell aren't going to take the time to methodicly clock it, plus a clocked machine takes alot of maintenance and familiarity with the settings (which is why i haven't tried to pawn this system off onto my parents for a 939 system).

I do understand your mistakes however, I spent several months without a system after a "slight" water cooling mishap (anyone that says the word asetek will get a boot to the head) I kept getting incompatable parts because I was so frustrated that I just ordered parts with little research figureing they would work.... and they didn't. I'm somewhat in the same boat currently because I'm not sure about my ram, it's micron chips and no one uses these (other then ballistix which are probably different) and currently i'm stuck at 9x200 1x256 and I can't even get 9x170 2x256 without errors (on my last board i was pushing into the 2.8ghz range and maxing fsb at 222).

What I suggest is getting a very methodical and slow clocking strategy of tweaking and testing, i'm still learning on this board but my basic idea is start stock, loosen timeings test, tighten timeings test until tight as possible, loosen timeings, up fsb, tighten timeings test etc... voltage is a last resort never change more then one setting (or set of settings) at a time a good set of safe alpha timeings is a good starting point when on a new fsb.

Also I'd suggest spending alot of time researching, you'll run across alot of the same old crap but every now and then you'll find something usefull. And one last thing, i'm not certain about these boards and locked cpu's, but you should look into pin mods, essentialy you can make the desktop bartons into a mobile chip but it's a headache and the results aren't always as great.

edit: Better :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the chinese say in their press releases ......"the parties engaged in frank and serious discussions" euphemisms for ... the parties could not agree on anything....

I understand the DFI nf2 officially supports the AXP 3200+, but it seems a good number of guys here had to sweat it out a lot before they had their rigs run smoothly using the 3200+ ... something Muztee did not expect to happen. He has a point.

On the other hand, he "seemed" not to have enough patience to overcome obstacles like other AXP 3200+ users have. And to denounce to a bunch of lovers that the sisters are crappy is to naturally invite unsavory responses. The result ???? .. the thread became mudled and unproductive, a most unfortunate twist. :(

Well Muztee ... hope you have not given up ... there are really a lot of references. And if it does not work using the basic and most elemnetary setup .... change the mb to another brand if you really want to stick to the 3200+. Just make sure first that the CPU really works by testing it in another mb. Or as AG has suggested, why not use a mobile 2500+?

Well ... in a span of a year I must have corrupted and replaced the bios chip over ten times. That is why I keep 4 chips in reserve ..hehehhe. Some of my friends here say I have extreme patience ....hhhhmmmnnn .... what they don't know is ...i'm a masochist. :nod: It often pays off if your mb is finicky and picky.

:drool: I absoultely love my NF2 board. I hit some bumps in the road on it's initial build, but I learned alot from taking the time in the research here. I nearly got mine to toaster status with, hold your breath... a Barton 3200XP. I've currently got it running and using it to post this. Running some OCZ value RAM to put the icing on the cake. (not what I had in it before, look at my MSI rig) My initial screw up was a crappy Antec True Blue 480. Just a bad production run, RMA'd it and its running just fine in a rig I built for someone else. Got an Enermax EG475P-VE with an ExRoadie fan mod powering it now. I've not tried to push it, but I guess I learned how to set it up and run stable which is all I care about right now. The mobo has been pulled multiple times and setup with now 3 PSU's and 3 different vid cards. Not to mention two different sets of RAM. Never changed the BIOS. Worst I've had to do is clear CMOS when I borked things up playing with OC'ing.

:drool:

Now, trying to OC the MSI board is like playing with training wheels on.

My suggestion for those wanting to get bizzy with DFI boards, expect the unexpected, and then realize you might not know as much as you think you do.

:drool: I absoultely love my NF2 board. I hit some bumps in the road on it's initial build, but I learned alot from taking the time in the research here. I nearly got mine to toaster status with, hold your breath... a Barton 3200XP.

My suggestion for those wanting to get bizzy with DFI boards, expect the unexpected, and then realize you might not know as much as you think you do.

Now that would have been awesome,a toastered xp3200+.....could it ever be done....the world may never know.

I have the same board as cobia... and a good run Antec True Blue 480 with a Gig of Geil Value Ram... I've had it OC'd to 2.68 at one time... nice and stable. But moved it back down... after I had a SATA drive crap out on me. Since then it's been a good stable system. Perhaps once I get Diablo built I'll retweak it to toaster status.

I have the same board as cobia... and a good run Antec True Blue 480 with a Gig of Geil Value Ram... I've had it OC'd to 2.68 at one time... nice and stable. But moved it back down... after I had a SATA drive crap out on me. Since then it's been a good stable system. Perhaps once I get Diablo built I'll retweak it to toaster status.

Love to see it,just for the naysayers

wow... :cool:

a gold star for you, congrats!

ecommerce-website-designer-london-uk-gold-star.gif

• 5 months later...

knock on wood - i guess i've been really lucky with my lanparty B.... other then a corrupted bios (which was my own fault for not following the flash procedures required by DFI on their website) i've had no problems with this board for almost two years.

Well, after reading all that i figured it was time for me to chime in. That Sudman and Muz-Tee must have no patience at all. Took me a long time to get my locked 3200+ to toaster status but I did it with help from all the great guys here and the GeekMistress. Check out my toaster sig Sudman and Muz-Tee. As far as I know I am the first and only locked 3200+ toaster but it can be done. As all have said you need the right parts and or wrong parts that you are lucky enough to get to run great and endless patience. To Playah, here is the toaster you were wishing for.