IS there a thread that explains how to switch to your second pci-e slo

I tried to use search but couldn't find anything. I would like to try my other pci-e slot with my graphics card to see if I can cool my chipset down some more. I know I;ve read somwhere that it was pretty simple, but I can't remeber where.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See those phat blocks of jumpers in between the two slots? All you have to do is move them down one pin. Put your GFX card in the second slot and that's it :)

I've done it with mine. It really is that simple. No need to change anything in the BIOS or windows.

I am using the lower of the two PCI-E slots on my DFI SLI DR and I have not changed any of the jumper settings!

me too, does it affect the slot speed or what ? why do i need to move the jumpers ?

once your vid card is mounted, it should NEVER MOVE. if it moves, you got some problems.

once all the way in the slot, the vid card should not touch the chipset fan...or it MIGHT touch very lightly...spin the fan with your fingers and make sure it does not touch any part of the vid card.

turn rig on and look and listen....should not touch the vid card.

if that = true then remember this:

your vid card should never move. your chipset fan should never move (other than the fan spinning heh). therefore your vid card and fan blades should never touch.

once your vid card is mounted, it should NEVER MOVE. if it moves, you got some problems.

once all the way in the slot, the vid card should not touch the chipset fan...or it MIGHT touch very lightly...spin the fan with your fingers and make sure it does not touch any part of the vid card.

turn rig on and look and listen....should not touch the vid card.

if that = true then remember this:

your vid card should never move. your chipset fan should never move (other than the fan spinning heh). therefore your vid card and fan blades should never touch.

Hey AG,

Thanks for the prompt response but as of now, everything is just fine, fan works properly,card doesnt touch,card doesnt move....

But it is sooo close,havent seen anything like that before. :(

OK here are my scores before changing the jumpers

3dmark 05= 5040

3dmark 03= 11710

3dmark 01= 24132

... and after? :)

Before changing, you'll be running at 2 PCI-E lanes for your graphics card. After, you'll get 8. Four times the bandwidth.

I asked a similar question in this thread as my graphics card was hitting the NB fan.

This is not the fault of the mobo, but rather the oversize cooler on the graphics card.

Putting the X800XL in the first PCI-E slot (16X) gave a 3DMark05 score of 4765

When moved to the lower slot (2X), 3DMark05 scored 4543.

Leaving the card in the 2nd slot, but moving the SLI jumpers to change the lower slot to 8X gave a 3DMark05 score of 4746 i.e. little difference to using the upper slot.

The section of 3DMark05 which is improved is the CPU banchmark which is presumable due to the improved bandwidth.

Hope this helps.