*NEW-DFI NF4-D*.. Mod to SataII and SLI Picture Tutorial

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to report that I have successfully modded my NF4-D to an SLI-D.

I did attempt the pencil mod twice, without any luck. I then decided to break out the soldering iron, and you know what they say, 'Third time's the charm!'.

Also I would like to add, to all the people who consistently ask how do they tell if their NF4-D actually has SATA II support after modding it, this is what I did:

When you mod the chipset, don't touch the SLI contacts, instead first worry about connecting the SATA II sets of contacts. After you have done this, reattach the heatsink, reconnect everything, and reboot the machine. If you see in the POST screen 'nf4 Ultra' where what used to be was 'nf4 Standard', you have successfully enabled SATA II. THEN you can dismantle everything and connect those SLI contacts, and upon startup of the system it will now say 'nf4 SLI'.

It may take a little bit longer, but I thought I'd rather do it this way and know for sure I had enabled SATA II.

I would just like to report that I have successfully modded my NF4-D to an SLI-D.

I did attempt the pencil mod twice, without any luck. I then decided to break out the soldering iron, and you know what they say, 'Third time's the charm!'.

Also I would like to add, to all the people who consistently ask how do they tell if their NF4-D actually has SATA II support after modding it, this is what I did:

When you mod the chipset, don't touch the SLI contacts, instead first worry about connecting the SATA II sets of contacts. After you have done this, reattach the heatsink, reconnect everything, and reboot the machine. If you see in the POST screen 'nf4 Ultra' where what used to be was 'nf4 Standard', you have successfully enabled SATA II. THEN you can dismantle everything and connect those SLI contacts, and upon startup of the system it will now say 'nf4 SLI'.

It may take a little bit longer, but I thought I'd rather do it this way and know for sure I had enabled SATA II.

Happy it worked out for you.. and thanks for providing that little tip.. :)

hi everyone, im new to the forum so be nice please :)

i dont mean to threadcrap, but ive been looking to buy a 939 board for a while and i was considering the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D because i dont really need SLI. but after reading all about this mod, i factored in the cost of a conductive pen (for some reason a lot of people cant get the pencil trick to work) and the SLI bridge and its about $35. i believe that the cost between the Ultra-D and SLI-DR is about the same price, so should i just go ahead and get the SLI-DR for "true SLI"? thanks everyone.

Guest Dynamic

So where can i purchase the "SLI BRIDGE" from? The dude that posted in the first part of the thread, the link doesn't work! I've tried looking around for VGA Bridge or SLI Bridge and no luck, what's up with that?

Edit: Would the Tyan M5000 SLI Bridge work that are currently selling for $20 from Monarch with a pair of GT/GTX?

So where can i purchase the "SLI BRIDGE" from? The dude that posted in the first part of the thread, the link doesn't work! I've tried looking around for VGA Bridge or SLI Bridge and no luck, what's up with that?

Edit: Would the Tyan M5000 SLI Bridge work that are currently selling for $20 from Monarch with a pair of GT/GTX?

Read this page..

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...0&page=11&pp=15

btw.. when modding something its usually good to read the whole thread..

:cool:

Guest Dynamic

I have read this whole thread 1000x so what? I don't want to send my CC info to someone i don't know? I want to know if there is any other place then MonarchComputer.com or Newegg.com that has the bridge since those two on-line retailers don't have one. Well, not sure if the Tyan will work since some dude hasn't posted back stating if he did get them working with whatever he was using. I don't know Donna or will send anything on any information to an unknown source. You make life so hard don't you?

• 2 weeks later...

guys... about to mod my ultra-d but first i got 2 questions:

1. Will a #2b pencil work on this? if yes, does it have to be sharp or not? (the pencil tip)

2. How hard do i have to press down, and should i cover a large area around the contacts for this to work, or as long as they touch, i am okay?

please get back to me!

thanks!!!!!