DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

ExRoadie

so at the moment which PS would you recommend for my setup considering in the neer future I would like to add another 7950GX2??

Thanks

PS while I got your focus is 40c on the chipset in my smartguardian too much?,,,,ah ill try to find the right forum and post that ?

Guy

if you are going to run 2 x 7950x2, you should follow the requirements of running an 8800GTX SLI system. they have nearly the same voltage requirements. I'd say you are looking at least in the realm of the 850watt GamerXstream

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a side note to what ExRoadie has already stated and to Slowdog for that newegg product link... Thats one of the first ones I've seen with both being offered in the same product..... Typically I've seen folks that upgraded their systems and some have chosen the "Cheaper or less-expensive option" of keeping their old PSU and adding that bay drive 3 or 400w power extension solely for their video cards... This one is combined for 1000w. I'm not sure if that is really the product that would best suit your need....Maybe just try finding a compatible power extension instead of the entire kit w/ both.... Just a suggestion if you intend on keeping your old PSU.....

Is it necessary that the PSUs have a -5V rail for the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D ?

The -5V rail was dropped in the ATX 12V 2.X specs. It is no longer needed or required.

That's why there is an empty position on the ATX plug on current power supplies.

Since all current DFI motherboards are ATX 12V 2.2 compliant, there is no need for the -5V rail.

Since all current DFI motherboards are ATX 12V 2.2 compliant, there is no need for the -5V rail.

I know it was dropped in the ATX2.2 Specs, but I was told on another forum that this rail is important for the DFI Lanparty Boards to properly work. I'm having boot problems with my Seasonic S12 so I'm going to replace it, to have a PSU that doesn't has those problems and I want to be sure it works fine with my DFI and therefore I definitely have to know if the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D takes any advantage of a -5V rail ?

Because if not, I could buy a different PSU without that rail and doesn't have to look for PSUs with -5V.

I'm pretty sure that if your mobo needs -5V nowadays, it's almost always specified (the only ones I know that do are MSI? or some brand with SB Live chips) because of ATX 2.2 and the absense of -5V in many specs. More importantly, if your mobo needs -5V and you don't have it, your mobo is just not going to work at all or will have very severe consistent problems. It won't have intermitent problems like cold boot ones

Can someone of the DFI Staff confirm that I don't need a -5V rail and I won't have any problems, especially not coldboot problems like the seasonics, when I buy a new PSU without a -5V rail ?

ExRoadie has already confirmed it in post #2117. Time to move on to something else.

praz

wonder would my thermaltake psu be causing any probs for me,like not booting straigh into windows ,instead having to reboot and it going in second time

Do you HAVE this problem or do you ask if it might occur in the combination with your Thermaltake PSU ?

thermaltake isn't one of recommened psu by form threads here

trying to find out would it be factor in my system not booting to windows first time ,as if i reboot a second time ,goes in fine to windows

dont want to spend 200 euros on a ocz gamesteam psu if the thermaltake psu not the problem as it wasnt cheap