DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there was ever any suggestion he had a 650W SS...

I bought a Silverstone Zeus 520W last week to replace my Tagan 480W.

Build quality, features and as far as i've been able to test stability, is all just fine.

One thing that did bother me is the noise it produces. It was supposed to be a near silent PSU. Well it's most definitly NOT !!

As soon as some load is applied the cooling fans start to spin fullspeed.

It must be said the exiting air is quite cool. Voltage stability is also not an issue.

Bottom line is, i'm going to return it to the shop and exchange it for the new Tagan 530W. My experience with the 480W Tagan was very good and is was almost inaudible. But i could use a little bit extra power to feed my new Venice 3800+

As soon as it arrives i will post my findings with the Tagan 530W

I don't think there was ever any suggestion he had a 650W SS...
That's too bad.

I'm looking for data on the "650W Silverstone ST65ZF-GM SLi" less power demanding systems.

We know that it works fine in very high demand systems, but because of the extreme "cross-loading" requirements,

we don't know about its operation in less demanding systems.

+5V min. load is 10A when +12V output is 30A to 38A

+5V min. load is 15A when +12V output is 38A to 42A

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

If you have one of these, please tell us all about it & your system.

Thanks,

Dave ;)

As promised a short report on the Tagan TG530-U22 i received today:

I can't say anything about SLI performance, since i don't use it.

For the rest, it's a bit larger than usual. About 4 cm longer than the Silverstone 520W an about 2 cm longer than the Tagan 480W.

Could be important, i had to remove a 12cm top fan !!

All rails seem rockstable. I can't measure any voltage drop under load.

It's almost as quiet as the Tagan480W which is VERY quiet, exactly what i was hoping for.

Cabling is great with 4 SATA, 2 PCIe, 2 P4 aux (can be combined to a 8pin aux) and 24pin mobo power (which can be split to a 20pin). Plenty molexes to.

So far only good news.

Dude,

That wasn't the top fan. It sounds like you installed the PSU upside down. The cable bundle exits on the left side of the PSU. I would seriously consider putting that puppy back in as soon as possible.

As promised a short report on the Tagan TG530-U22 i received today:

I can't say anything about SLI performance, since i don't use it.

For the rest, it's a bit larger than usual. About 4 cm longer than the Silverstone 520W an about 2 cm longer than the Tagan 480W.

Could be important, i had to remove a 12cm top fan !!

All rails seem rockstable. I can't measure any voltage drop under load.

It's almost as quiet as the Tagan480W which is VERY quiet, exactly what i was hoping for.

Cabling is great with 4 SATA, 2 PCIe, 2 P4 aux (can be combined to a 8pin aux) and 24pin mobo power (which can be split to a 20pin). Plenty molexes to.

So far only good news.

Dude,

That wasn't the top fan. It sounds like you installed the PSU upside down. The cable bundle exits on the left side of the PSU. I would seriously consider putting that puppy back in as soon as possible.

I hope he is referring to a case top "blow-hole" fan. :dog:

Dude,

I'm not a newbie nor an idiot :rolleyes:

As davidhammock200 suggested, i have an extra blowhole on top of my case.

So reading through this it looks like my Tt 680W is a bit of a weak point in my system :confused: , esp as I wish to upgrade the 66GT's to the next level of SLi VCs and a new core???

I'm not a newbie nor an idiot :rolleyes:

As davidhammock200 suggested, i have an extra blowhole on top of my case.

I have not seen this new 530W Tagan, please tell us about it.

Links?

Specs?

Thanks,

Dave ;)

So reading through this it looks like my Tt 680W is a bit of a weak point in my system :confused: , esp as I wish to upgrade the 66GT's to the next level of SLi VCs and a new core???
You are correct.

See post #1 for the PS Guide.

Good Hunting,

Dave :dog:

Do you know about power draw?

Do you understand what draws what?

Do you understand that a 480W GOOD PSU is COMPLETELY Overkill?

Do you understand that less than 480W in a QUALITY supply is WAY more than enough( I would stay at a quality 400 if possible, but that SHOULD be fine, especially for a stock system, if it ain't there are issues....)?

I will get grief for this, but in reality DFI is just covering their butt(IMO) for folks that buy crappy 450W $25 PSU's..

A crappy 500W will not work as well as a QUALITY 400W.

This has been proven over the years, crap is crap no matter what the lable says.

Good, glad we had this discussion......

What would you do if you were DFI? :confused:

If you tell people a min of +12V@24A for non-SLI & a min of +12V@30A for SLI,

how many n000bs would understand? :confused:

Then you would get in to single rail vs. dual or more rail... more n000b troubles :rolleyes:

Now, you are DFI, you are in business to make money,

can you make enemies buy "officially" supporting only PC P&C, OCZ, Antec, Enermax & Fortron? :confused:

From a pure "tech" point of view the decision is BS, but from a "real world" point of view,

I understand it & in general support it.

Dave