DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

2 months on a bog standard PSU (500w) and running so fine......:).........not SLI.....but clocked heavy............:)

With the 20pin plug in as I explained earlier!!................NO 24pin PSU NEEDED!!.........and NO ADAPTER also!! :)

Marketing crap!

please do not go around this forum or in this thread making such an all-encompassing statement when it clearly goes against the engineers who built this board's statements.

it makes it seem like because it works for you it will work for everyone and the less users that come here and get terrible (and false except for a FEW special cases like yours) information, the less time we have to spend breaking their mind of statements like yours about how its a big conspiracy to make you buy 24pin psu's and get them to buy a real 24-pin 480w psu so we can get on with helping them without the psu being in question.

this is deceiving and we as the mfg do not want such information to be spread when it is clearly not the case for the majority of users we have dealt with (remember, we answer all of hte tech email, tech phone calls, and tech support in this forum so we have a better idea of who and how many it has worked for).

ive fought a lot of you already over this and I made it clear earlier I would not bother to try and continue to fight with you over it.

PSU requirements are clearly stated here, directly from the engineers in TW:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

do not go around telling people in this forum that its a bunch of 'marketing crap'.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scaramonga

Hey buddy.................I'm alwayz polite! :nod:

What works for me............may not for others?..... I understand..........yup.............but I was dammed if I was gonna buy another PSU when I bought this board...LOL.............and can honestly say..............nps so far!! :);)

Guest scaramonga

then i will delete your posts as I am afraid this is a DFI forum, not YOUR personal sounding board, and you telling customers things that go directly against our engineers recommendations cannot be tolerated.

your choice, you can try to buck the system and have this happen to you, or you can get on board and realize that you are not DFI tech support, nor are you DFI engineer and your results, while they work for you, go directly against what our engineers say and we in tech support have verified as true more times than you can possibly imagine.

but

I won't fight you about it. I will just edit/delete your posts if you continue to be obnoxious about it and eventually will get tired of doing that.

Guest scaramonga
and you telling customers things that go directly against our engineers recommendations cannot be tolerated.

Yup...............you mean the TRUTH!!

...........as I thought!

Brainwash the 'innocent'!!

:rolleyes:

Dude I don't think it is crap. I tried 20 to 24 pin adaptors on 3 different builds on both intel and AMD and had nothing but trouble on good PS's too. totally unstable all three times. Had my PC power and cooling unit modded by PC power and cooling to SLI 24pin and all my troubles went away.

YOU may have got lucky, but you are the exception then, not the norm.

That can happen you know. You know, when something works for you but virually no one else.

Guest scaramonga
That can happen you know. You know, when something works for you but virually no one else.

Yup.................and if you look back m8.............I did say that!!...........

What works for me............may not for others?

;)

:D

I am NOT on the DFI payroll, I came in to this because a large number of Extreme Overclocking Forum (EOC)

members were having problems that were directly linked to the 24-pin ATX power distrubution.

For quite awhile, I recommended gold "zero loss" 20 to 24 pin adaptors, as long as they were powered by

"known-good" PS's: PC P&C, OCZ, Antec, Enermax, Fortron, etc of sufficient power.

The problems remained, it didn't make any sense to me, so I got out my PS's, meters & a couple of DFI N4 mobos,

guess what, under transitional loads, especially when using the +5V for Vdimm,

the both the +5V & +12 measured on the mobo can go out of spec.

The exact reasons for this are currently under study,

I believe that there are a combination of events & loads that must occur to trigger this,

however when triggered it can damage the mobo/CPU/RAM & given its intermittent nature will drive an OC'er nuts.

Now the DFI engineers have taken the most obvious course of action,

require 24-pin native ATX from truly powerful PSU's.

This solution is 100% successful assuming the use if a modern "known-good" PS.

If you are not powering your RAM with the +5V rail, you will probably never have this problem,

but for the good of all DFI customers these REQUIREMENTS need to be understood & supported.

Bottom line, there are very good reasons, supported by lots of real life experiences &

it is in everyones best interest to support the 24-pin/480W requirements. :nod:

Dave