NF4 COLD/WARM Boot Problems...Read this.

232 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes I am going to rma my board
    • yes I am going to try and work through it
    • no problems at all

I am having boot issues, no matter if cold or not. Just needs a reboot to CRASH!

Will maybe boot 1 in 10 times.

Once booted, will run stable with prime 95 all day all night, no errors.

But then reboot = crash x 10

tried all the BIOS Settings in this boar on many other boards, and of course my own tweeking.

Still same story. This is my second board that has allready been RMA'd once.

DFI claims to have replaced the Chipset, chip, U24 on that RMA.

But still SAME STORY!!! CRASH CRASH CRASH .... x. 10 and then BOOT!!!

ROCK STABLE

Then Power down the backup = CRASH CRASH .......

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I believe I have found out why we are having a cold boot problem.

I posted this over at OCZ forums:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthrea...89515#post89515

Working scenario:

Basically when you shutdown your PC and power it up again, Vdimm moves up from 0V to the voltage you set it to in the BIOS. (Measured with a multimeter).

Failing scenario:

HOWEVER, if you pull out the power plug, reinsert the plug, DO NOT switch on the PC yet. Hmmm, what is that 2.7V doing on Vdimm?? Switch on the PC hmmmm, still 2.7V? And of course you now have the cold boot problem. The Vdimm never reaches the value I have set in the BIOS.

Very interesting.

I wonder why all DFI Ultra D's don't do this?

Excuse me if this was in the thread, but does the cold Boot problem occur even if you power down for let's say a couple of days and not remove the power cord?

sparx

Excuse me if this was in the thread, but does the cold Boot problem occur even if you power down for let's say a couple of days and not remove the power cord?

No, I can leave my PC in this state for ages. In my case it is only when the AC goes.

• 2 months later...

I may be having the same problem as most of the people here, I had a PSU that met the minimum requirments for the board and I would have to go through the same steps that needmorestuff would to get it to boot(take out put back vid card, press power button a couple times, ect.). I got a new psu that more then meets the requirements and is recommened on the forum(in my sig). Then i could boot with no problems but when I run HL2 for a bit my system crashes(this would also happen with old psu when it did boot). I then got nvtweak.reg from the nVidia site and now it doesnt crash but a message pops up that there is insufficient power to the video card and then it underclocks it so that it will run. I have all four(4) power connections on the mb, and the pcie power connection to the video card. btw i also had the same problems with a msi 6800 gt.

I have the same exact problem as nagini has described. No video with a evga6800 Ultra until the windows startup music. Sometimes no video at all. No way to getinto BIOS that way. I have to unplug the power connector and reseat the card to get it working (able to see a BIOS screen). I have all 4 power connectors on the board hooked up so that isn't the problem. The problem always comes back though. Usually within a couple reboots. I tried a BFG 6600 GT OC too and had the same problem. Only fix I found was to use an ATI card. Every since I went to the x700 pro I have in my sig I hav'nt experienced this problem. Also my friend with an MSI NF4 SLI board had the same problem so I don't think it's DFI specific. He went through a xfx 6800GT, BFG 6600 GT OC, and ended up going with an Sapphire X800XL. Nagini I think is on the button with it being a Nvidia DVI detect problem. I have tried 4 different monitors as well so its not the monitor.

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread; I'm currently experiencing this issue, with my 6800GT inno3d.

It won't POST when cold boot, though I can clearly hear the system booting, till windows. But heck, no screen whatsover.

Tried many things, including the DVI/VGA adapter trick. Still, it won't boot up sometimes.

Currently posting with my old PCI_VGA_emergency_card :(

Edit: sig.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - It appears I selected a lemon. I thought I researched well and the Lanparty earned high marks, but this post problem is ridiculous. I just built my first AMD system after being in the P4/RAMBUS world (very stable) for a good while.

I flashed to the latest BIOS on DFI's support site (623-3), but honestly I think the problem is worse. I'm hanging at 2 LEDs (no VGA) about 95% of the time. When it does boot there are no other issues. It seems like it's an NForce problem since other MBs/video appear to be having some of the same issues.

I've read lots of comments, but see no real solution. The sucker is going back to MWave unless I find a solution real soon. This seems unlikely since the thead has grown cold for the last month or so. I really find it interesting that this many folks are willing to work thru this problem (poll results). It's a pain and shouldn't be happening with a high dollar MB.