NF4 COLD/WARM Boot Problems...Read this.

232 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes I am going to rma my board
    • yes I am going to try and work through it
    • no problems at all

it is something to do with my 6800gt but can't figure it out... i have to remove the card and put it back in and it will then start - it took about 5 attempts today.

worth removing mobo and realigning it?

or is the card a red herring??

system starts first time with s3 pci card?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is something to do with my 6800gt but can't figure it out... i have to remove the card and put it back in and it will then start - it took about 5 attempts today.

worth removing mobo and realigning it?

or is the card a red herring??

system starts first time with s3 pci card?

try this

shut down computer

Switch off, unplug and after yellow lights go off, hit the power button a few times.

Enable the "Clear CMOS jumper" for ATLEAST 30 seconds. (for this case, id say let it go for an hour or so just to be sure

Power computer back up, and immediately go into the bios.

Choose "Load Optimized Defaults."

Save and exit.

Try seeing if it does it running stock settings first...then you might want to try a new bios if it still does it....

right then - did that to the letter.

booted it back up with pcix card in - no post. powered it down put my pci card in and it post fine but only if i removed the pcix card!!

changed bios to opt defaults, changed raid settings so it picked up my array, removed floppy etc. no tweaks at all - no overclocking zip.

power down after saving, removed pci card put in pcix card

no boot??

removed pcix card - put it back in

no boot,

powered off and no about three times - no boot

removed card again put back in - booted fine!!!

the 6800gt card actually makes physical contact with the chipset fan!! could it be a case of the card not going fully in the slot by a fraction of a mm and after several removed and re-seats I hit the "sweet spot"???

help needed here guys.

one more thing, in the bios there is a setting "Video off mothd" with three settings, what do these do.

tried it again this morning - same thing, three lights, couple of flickers no boot!

it seems that there at least three threads with exactly the same problem at the moment. Not wishing to hijack anyone elses but it seems we have a bit of an issue with this..

I have looked about a bit and have a theory - it may be b**locks but it's a thoery all the same. from inno3d's web site "1-3. Some monitors do not generate DDC signal, or connect the DDC signal to ground, so BIOS fails to detect the monitor."

I am using a sony 19" tft, this may be the prob so I will try a monitor this evening and see if it boots first time.

seems strange that I have to remove and re-insert the card several times and then maybe she boots? looking for some top level help here - Angry? Rgone?

mine presses right up against it.... maybe it is stopping the card going in by a smidgen and causing problems, i thought this last night and when i finally got it to boot I gave the 6800gt a good old wiggle about to see if the system would crash due to it being inserted precariously but no joy it didn't crash.

having trouble figuring this one out.

I had a similar issue but mine involved BIOS settings not sticking. Make sure your BIOS settings are correct after you reinstall you PCI GFX card. I believe the default is PCI for GFX in BIOS. IF this is your problem, try BIOS version 310P which seems to work for me. You mileage may vary with this one. GL!

silk run that by me again my man. can we use pci for my old s3 2mb;-) and pciex for my new shny 6800gt - I am left unsure what you want me to try.

I think you mean that the default bios etting is pci (as in my s3), I agree here. Complete madness for a top end board the default should be pciex. I'll give 310p a go.

mine presses right up against it.... maybe it is stopping the card going in by a smidgen and causing problems, i thought this last night and when i finally got it to boot I gave the 6800gt a good old wiggle about to see if the system would crash due to it being inserted precariously but no joy it didn't crash.

having trouble figuring this one out.

seems odd. if your were hitting the "sweet-spot", you'd think it would both boot and reboot fine.

have you tried a different pci-e video card?

also, people have said that they have eliminated contact between the video card and the fan by replacing the stock thermal tape w/ AS5 or similar.