Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

I got polkat mixed up in the posts. lol

Like I said earlier.

The chips are produced and put in the chipset package. Depending on demand they are bridged to make the nF4-D, nF4 Ultra and nF4 SLI packages and the labels applied.

The only way to make them where they can't be modded would be on the actual chip its self which isn't in their best interest. That's why they started adding extra epoxy on the SLI bridge points to deter casual modding.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I still suspect they could cut the trace with a laser which would make it a lot harder to mod as I said earlier. Of course this is not a simple procedure and as I mentioned is probably not worth it to them.

To cut the trace, as you say, would mean the decision would have to be made before the chip is placed in the package. This would defeat the whole concept of alowing them to make a decision after the package is put together.

This is why there are bridge points moved to the outside of the package and what makes these mods possible.

I could be wrong but I still suspect they could cut the trace with a laser which would make it a lot harder to mod as I said earlier. Of course this is not a simple procedure and as I mentioned is probably not worth it to them.

Well i just tried the mod as sugested, except for i soldered the points instead of using the pen. I took the board to a vary competant solderer that i had repair video cards before and mod my play stations....I know for a fact that the connection is made and that it only connects the two points mentioned, but now my board will not post =( Im soo sad...im thinking about removing the solder but i dunno....any sugestions?

All 4 diagnostic lights just sit there and remain on....

Woot ! Got it working, reseated everything like 3 times, then finally decided to reseat the CPU and all is well. Vary excellent mod, ill post some results some time for giggles . THANKS !!

This may seem stupid, but was BIOS would you use after the mod? Ultra-D or SLI? Or are they the same... as you can see from my BIOS type, I haven't really been paying attention to any recent updates...

edit: any better?

This may seem stupid, but was BIOS would you use after the mod? Ultra-D or SLI? Or are they the same... as you can see from my BIOS type, I haven't really been paying attention to any recent updates...

They all use the same bios.. :nod:

You need to make a sig with your complete specs .. :cool: