Starting to Build Computer, ULTRA-D, AOL?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, umm ok.

anyways, if i really cared, i would prolyl come back with somethign smarta$$ to say... im too tired to really care at this point. maybe tomorrow.

as for the PSU install.

easy method..

look at the computer you are using to access the net. open it up to see how it sits in there, and how cable management is done.

try to keep as much cabling hiden as possible, unless this case is closed. Ie no window or anything. in that case, just keep the cables out of the flow path to help with cooling.

Hooking up the cables.- 20/24 pin connector. only goes in 1 spot. cant mess that up.

depending on how many molex connectors you have, and what config they are in.. its pretty much going to be your pick which to plug into the board.

only 1- 4 pin connector.pretty easy there as well.

depending on the video card you have, you may need to plug in a 6 pin conenctor to that as well.

like i said, this is pretty easy stuff. the plugs will only fit 1 way. with the exception of bout 2 or 3 plugs, the rest are for you to choose which ones plug in where. some PSUs have 2 or 3 molex conenctor on 1 strand. wouldnt make sense to use that to plug into your mobo, but would fit better to power your HD and CDrom?DVD. also, for the molex going to your mobo, try to keep it so that the mobo is the only thing getting powered off that strand. helps keep the power on that rail more stable.

guessi should have said this at the beginning, but it would be easier and better if you put everythign in the case before you start hooking up the PSU and plugging things in. IE, HD, DVD/CDrom/ whatever else. then install teh PSU and plug in everything, and then lastly the video card.

anyways,

/boggle

looking at your pic, why arent the fans running????

i assume since you have the comp next to the LCD w/ a BIOS up, you are up and running. those fans should be spinning.

i see a fan readout on the BIOS, but those fans dont look like they are running. actually only one thats important is the CPU fan. the other one doesnt matter till the case is closed

What is suppose to hold the floppy steady in the back so it doesn't push into the case when you put a disk in?

lol...screws? Depends on the case you have. Screwless cases you just slide the drives in and then lock them with the sliding things...normal cases you put screws into the sides of the drives after they are in the 'cages' ;)

Oh yea I forgot to ask,

Do you think it is a good or bad idea to run the system in bios overnight as a test?

what do you mean overnight bios to test?

i suggest running Memtest overnight

Hellzarmy -

I'm on a laptop. ;)

Yea i'll defintatly try and cleanup the cables.

Yep i think i got the mobo power connects good.

Yea i thought I would have to power the video card also, but i looked all over the card and can't find any plugs. I even bought a special cable for it that i mentioned earlier. I guess it just runs off the PCI-X.

Good area about the strands. I will fix it so the mobo is powered off only one.

Yea I wish I put in the HD, CDROM and all that stuff first. DOH!

I was following that guide. hehehe

I think it won't be too bad though.

The fans are running in that photo btw, its just my camera (canon 20d) stopped the action. :nod:

Angry -

Yea i don't think this case is screwless.

There are some slots for screws but i can't figure it out yet! lol

I'll post some shots tommorow.

Hmmm, i was just thinkin it might be a good idea to run it overnight.

I'd do memtest but i think i need a cd-rom for that. hehehe

Guess i'll just power up everything tommorow.

Thanks allll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

maybe it is in a later bios...i only use 3.16.2005 bios so cant remember if it is there or not heh

hrmmm...maybe i should check my own screens right?

ah just checked...i dont have any screens of 3.10.2005 bios lol. only 1.25 and 3.16 bios ;)

Heheheh, so i'll wait for the optical drive b4 memtest, or after I flash to the newest bios right?

A couple quick questions.......

I took out completly the 4 pin molex connector from the cpu fan but its still being powered. So does that little plug that says CPU FAN on the mobo power the cpu fan aswell??

Also for the front fan I plugged it into FAN 4 on the mobo but when i go into PC HEALTH STATUS fan 4 doesn't show up there.

The only things listed are CPUFAN, FAN 2 and NB FAN.

I dunno what fan 2 could be.

-Pete

Hmmmmmmmm......

I unpluged the big 4 pin (molex right?) plug from the front fan aswell and its still runnin.

I'm starting to think those little plugs power the fans. heheheh

I wonder why it doesn't show the fan in bios though...

So what are those male and female 4 pin molexs for on the fan wires.

Lemmie know if u want photos tommo.... 8)