NF4 UltraD 1st successful OC, need help with OCZ RAM

HAHA, after searching around for about 3hrs now, i found this post...SWEET!! But I see that its form a couple months ago, and no response for certain as to what they are "Chip-wise"....anyways, have had mine at 270 X 9 with 3/4 divider for about 3 months now, cant really get the sticks to OC that much, think I got them up to 225 or so with a 3.5vdimm <-----WOW yea, had a big house fan because I was gettin crazy video stuff like you,c ould barely see the stuff, but as soon as I put that fan and 2 x Vantec Tornados right on top of the sticks it was all good....Memtest failed drastically before all that and froze up, but I could get into Windows and actually loaded a game and played it for a minute. Sure didn't want to leave it at that. But anyways, you don't really notice any difference until you get over the 3.0vdimm spot.

But if I gotta give my RAM that much Vdimm, I just need better RAM, even though these were pretty spendy. But would like to know what chips they are. If this thread isn't to old, well hey I guess I just brought her back to life!! Really good job on the documentation and instruction though, very nice to see someone else with this memory!!

While I have read further on what everyone said, I think you were right in what you said as I too bought that memory because of it's "advertised" ratings/reviews etc. But I have managed to get my fair share out of it. Now am going to try some of those settings on the thread at Bleeding Edge....So hopefuly you've had some better luck or went with some different stuff, sure wish I would have got some different stuff now though. Good findings.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just need to bump this thread, because I just hit the EXACT same problem.

OCZ Platinum, 2-3-2-5 stock SPD timings, I can only get to FSB 211, no matter what voltage, 2.5 to 2.9V. I am using 2 1GB sticks though.

With looser timings of 2T 3-4-4-8, I can only get to FSB 226. Ack! Again, voltage doesn't matter.

This is just checking with Memtest, with a lowered CPU multiplier so only the RAM is being tested.

Tried single sticks, and also tried both orange and yellow banks. Yellow worked just a bit better, 1 MHz, but that's probably within the margin of error.

Tried aiming an extra fan at the RAM, and at the northbridge. Nope.

Temps are fine, idle is NB=46, CPU=37.

I WAS expecting to get to something like FSB 275+ with relaxed timings, but I'm very disappointed at the poor performance in practice.

So, my question.. what to do now? What to experiment with? Perhaps there's been a new (unofficial?) BIOS patch to help? Perhaps I'm just hosed?

Any help or suggestions? Please? Or should I just throw away this RAM and cry?

If it can't handle 213MHz, I don't trust it even at stock 200MHz no matter what Memtest says.

Any help or suggestions? Please? Or should I just throw away this RAM and cry?

If it can't handle 213MHz, I don't trust it even at stock 200MHz no matter what Memtest says.

Hello, you need to realize you purchased PC3200 that is based on Infineon chips. The PC3200 Platinum Rev 2 based on Samsung chips is what you need for the speeds you are trying for. Please exchange for the Rev 2 and all will be fine.

Thanks

Hello, you need to realize you purchased PC3200 that is based on Infineon chips. The PC3200 Platinum Rev 2 based on Samsung chips is what you need for the speeds you are trying for. Please exchange for the Rev 2 and all will be fine.

OCZ doesn't offer 1GB Rev 2, only 512MB.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...inum_revision_2

But thanks for the information. This tells me that it's not the motherboard or BIOS, it's OCZ's RAM design and components itself.

I can't exchange the RAM anyway, I've already installed it and have thrown away the bubble package.

My fault, I should have done more research and learned not to use OCZ RAM for the LANparty motherboard. I really didn't realize the Platinum series can't really be run past stock DDR400. This was a painful $275 lesson. :-(

• 3 months later...
OCZ doesn't offer 1GB Rev 2, only 512MB.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...inum_revision_2

But thanks for the information. This tells me that it's not the motherboard or BIOS, it's OCZ's RAM design and components itself.

I can't exchange the RAM anyway, I've already installed it and have thrown away the bubble package.

My fault, I should have done more research and learned not to use OCZ RAM for the LANparty motherboard. I really didn't realize the Platinum series can't really be run past stock DDR400. This was a painful $275 lesson. :-(

I'm using OCZ EL Platinum 2GB Kit and i have no problem ocing, i tested at 265mhz with loose timing .. 100% stable. never tested higher. I have no clue which model of chips i have btw..

RainZ

• 5 months later...

ahhh finally i found a thread with the same problem as me!!!! anyways...i have 4*512 gigs of OCZ PERFORMANCE RAM which is the same as the enhanced latency stuff(dont know for sure). i have the same problems with viewing video and cant get my ram even to STOCK speeds. should i just boost the voltages?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was having the same problems with 2x512 PC3500 OCZ Basic Series. This ones have winbond ch-5 chips and, despite they were rated at 217mhz, I couldn't get even to 210mhz at 2.6v. Just have them running at 200mhz 2-3-2-5 1T

Increasing the vdimm to 2.9v didn't help either but with 3v or 3.1v it was something different: 225mhz 2-3-2-5 1T stable.

I started pushing them out and with 3.3v~3.4v they reached 240mhz 2-3-2-5 1T. With 3.5v there was no performance increase, so I guess that 3.4v is the sweet spot for CH-5.

Even relaxing the timings didn't help to reach +240mhz. I still have to try setting cpc to 2T.

Conclusion: If you are sure that you have winbond ch-5** chips try 3.4v 240mhz 2-3-2-5 1T

** How to know if you have CH-5:

1) If you can get timings of 2-3-2-5 1T @200mhz 2.6v without errors

2) 2-2-2-6 timings won't work at stock (memtest errors) - If you are lucky you can do that timings with 3.1v but it's not for sure.

3) At your own risk: Removing the heatspreaders and looking at the chips (techpowerup mem DB is a good reference)

Hi, I was having the same problems with 2x512 PC3500 OCZ Basic Series. This ones have winbond ch-5 chips and, despite they were rated at 217mhz, I couldn't get even to 210mhz at 2.6v. Just have them running at 200mhz 2-3-2-5 1T

Increasing the vdimm to 2.9v didn't help either but with 3v or 3.1v it was something different: 225mhz 2-3-2-5 1T stable.

I started pushing them out and with 3.3v~3.4v they reached 240mhz 2-3-2-5 1T. With 3.5v there was no performance increase, so I guess that 3.4v is the sweet spot for CH-5.

Even relaxing the timings didn't help to reach +240mhz. I still have to try setting cpc to 2T.

Conclusion: If you are sure that you have winbond ch-5** chips try 3.4v 240mhz 2-3-2-5 1T

** How to know if you have CH-5:

1) If you can get timings of 2-3-2-5 1T @200mhz 2.6v without errors

2) 2-2-2-6 timings won't work at stock (memtest errors) - If you are lucky you can do that timings with 3.1v but it's not for sure.

3) At your own risk: Removing the heatspreaders and looking at the chips (techpowerup mem DB is a good reference)

Good tips there, and 3.4v is about right. Just keeep the RAM cool. Heat will kill your modules and there are no replacement Winbond sticks available. A fan blowing directly on the RAM does wonders and will keep them much cooler.

Good tips there, and 3.4v is about right. Just keeep the RAM cool. Heat will kill your modules and there are no replacement Winbond sticks available. A fan blowing directly on the RAM does wonders and will keep them much cooler.

One thing I want to know is that if I could kill or shorten their lifetime although I have a fan cooling my RAM at 3.4v. That depends only of the heat??? Is it safe to use them 24/7 with 3.4v active cooling???

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if the ocz performance modules are ch 5? cause i dont want to raise the voltages that high without knowing for sure it wont blow up lol. i cant get my RAM even to stock settings without having problems watching video. also i get little dots that look like dead pixels. i dont know what to do!!!! i know its not my PSU cause i now have an antec 550 truepower. please help! i really dont feel like getting new ram.

• 1 month later...