Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

My stick failed in SLI-DR, Asus A8V-E SE and Asus K8V-X.

I got a working replacement on first RMA, but sure as hell I won't put it anywhere important until more info about this surfaces :)

Did it first start having errors on the dfi or one of the asus boards?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, thats all I wanted to hear before putting the next set in, I was about to order a sli-dr expert board and try that out. Hopefully they'll get the errors ironed out this time around as I don't want to keep sending these things back.

Did it first start having errors on the dfi or one of the asus boards?

It never worked right, and I think I plugged it into the A8V-E SE first.

Since then I memtest new memory before I boot up anything but my overclocking scratch installations.

ETA: I am sure I cannot have plugged it into the DFI first, because I have only one stick and only a few days ago discovered that the DFI slots close to the CPU don't do single-channel.

Just stumbled on the thread and looked it over.

This is exactly what happened to my 2x1gb Ballistix on a dfi nf4 after only 3-4 weeks. Ran 280mhz 3-3-3-7 2.8v just fine. RMAed them this week so I should get my new sticks soon. Hope the problem get sorted out, because at this point I dont see the next set lasting too long either :/

EDIT: oh yeh and after I had the problem I did some testing. One stick was solid no matter what, but the other errored out on memtest at 200mhz 3-3-3-7 and 250mhz 3-4-4-8 all at 2.8v

Basically, it wouldnt run stock anymore :(.

EDIT2: As for power as you can see Im running the OCZ Powerstream 600watt

I kept 2x80mm fans on the ram at all times.

CrucialLabs, I would HIGHLY recommend you run Prime95 at 100% load for about a month straight and see if it starts degrading.

Hi and welcome to the forums CrucialLabs Memory Experts PERSON!

do you have a name?

Anyway, i have had the same probs as most of you all, RMA them but got them back stating that they have been tested @500 MHz and mem tested and are 100% ok, yet to test them again in my ASUS MOBO but should get round to it today!

i have to say that allthough mem test on my DFI mobo showed errors i never had any probs running win xp or any of my games or Prime 95 and all the other benchies out the, just trouble gettting a stable OC, i have to add that during my ballistix pc 3200 {2x 512 btw} probs the customer service i received was first class and very helpful and understanding over here in the UK, the mad thing is i cave 2 gig of crucial value ram that will give me a very stable OC with no mem test errors etc dont figure lol!

anyway once again welcome to the BEST FORUM IN THE WORLD! what ever ur name is! :D

I've finally plumped for these 2gb kits of the Ballistix. I installed them on Saturday morning and I've been having a mixture of problems since.

I cleared my CMOS by following the instructions posted elsewhere, installed the DIMM's into the orange slots and rebooted at stock. Loaded the Optimized settings ins BIOS and booted into WinXP OK. Checked CPU-Z, Everest, etc. and all looked fine. Played CoD2 and FEAR for an hour then the PC locks up. Powered down, turned back on, nothing. Went through the CMOS clear again, half an hour later still won't boot up, one LED stuck on but no signal from screen and red LED on HDD indicator stuck on.

Powered off again, went back two hours later and it all boots fine. checked all BIOS settings were stock, rebooted and all seemed OK except that my AV scanner wouldn't start automatically. This usually indicates in the past that my overclocked system was going too OTT but as far as I could tell, I was running at stock, BIOS, GPU's etc the lot, everything agreed when I checked in Everest and CPU-Z.

I cleared the CMOS again and decided to try my old Corsair DIMM's and everything all came back OK. I was even able to go back to my old OC'd settings ( I didn't use the CMOS reloaded settings, just I put them back in manually) and everything was OK.

I've now put the Ballistix back in (at stock optimized setttings) and am now running Memtest whilst I'm out at work. I'll be checking back on it at lunchtime but I'm really concerned as these Ballistix do seem a lot flakier than I had hoped.

If someone could post their Genie settings for an SD 3700+ so I can compare them with mine (stock and OC'd) I would appreciate it as I would love to get these working correctly.

Cheers

BB

I called Crucial on Saturday to get an RMA number for my bad stick and the customer service was excellent! However, the customer service guy said to just RMA the bad stick and keep the good one; I purchased them as a matched set and the numbers are the same. My question is, do you guys think I should RMA them together or keep the good stick and hope for another good stick even though the numbers might not match? I've run the good stick at 250 3-4-4-8 at 2.7v now for 12hrs in memtest and 26hrs in dual Prime95 without a hint of trouble.

I've had this memory (and the entire system) two weeks and it's still looking good with these settings:

DRAM Voltage: 2.70v

CPU VID Control: 1.500v

260mhz 3-3-3-8 (CPU running 260 x 10)

CPC: Auto

TCL: 3.0

Trcd: 03

Trac: 08

Trp: 03

Trc: 07

Trfc: Auto

Trrd: 03

Twr: 03

Twtr: 02

Trwt: 03

Tref: Auto

Twcl: Auto

Interleave: Enabled

With these settings I've run 21+ hours of dual instances of Prime95, 7 hours of memtest, all the other stability tests I could find. No problems, no reboots, no errors of any kind. I did initially think 282 x 9.5 was stable but the HCI memtest found memory problems at 282mhz at 2.9v. I dropped to 260mhz and 2.7v and passed every test I've run since.

I did notice at 2.9v, the memory got VERY hot. It gets kinda hot even at 2.7v but not as hot as 2.9v. I have great airflow through the case.

I called Crucial on Saturday to get an RMA number for my bad stick and the customer service was excellent! However, the customer service guy said to just RMA the bad stick and keep the good one; I purchased them as a matched set and the numbers are the same. My question is, do you guys think I should RMA them together or keep the good stick and hope for another good stick even though the numbers might not match? I've run the good stick at 250 3-4-4-8 at 2.7v now for 12hrs in memtest and 26hrs in dual Prime95 without a hint of trouble.

yes M8 and the CS should have told you that M8!

What is weird is the 1st set I got ran fine too for about a month at 3,3,3,8 1t at 270fsb. When I first overclocked it I ran memtest all night with no errors, ran Superpi32, and ran Prime95 over night with no problems. Then it just decided to go bad. I have since got a second set which appear to have been mismatched sticks. They will not run at their rated speeds in dual channel without errors. They only pass if they are put in one at a time. I now have an RMA number to get a 3rd set. I contacted Newegg to try and get cross shipping setup. But that is only within the 1st 30 days of your original purchase. So all of you who have had the memory a month before it started flaking out have to wait the full time for them to get your old memory and then ship out the new memory. I also asked about changing brands and they said I couldn't since it had been over 30 days so it looks like I am stuck paying for shipping until I get a set that actually work like they are supposed to. Man I hope 3rd time is a charm. The SAGA continues.