S-ATA Disk in "safe to remove hardware" box

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if you don't install the NVIDIA IDE Drivers then you won't get that icon there...

Just played around a bit and this is the case for me? If I remove the Nvidia IDE drivers the removable icon is gone.

But my boot time went from about 2 sec. to 40sec. or more? So it looks like I'm stuck with the icon for now.

To bad .. I want to get rid of it. I don't plan on hot swappin my Main drive anytime soon?

Cowboy

My experience, using either WD1200JD (120Gb S-ATA, 8Mb cache) or Seagate ST3160023AS (160Gb, S-ATA, 8Mb cache)

MSI 865PE FI2SR (Springdale) using native I5CHR, XP SP1 or SP2 = No removal icon

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (NForce 4 SLI), XP SP2, Nvidia HD drivers = Removal icon

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (NForce 4 SLI), XP SP2, MS HD drivers = No Removal icon

DFI NForce 4 Ultra-D (NForce 4 Ultra), XP SP2, MS HD drivers = No Removal icon

My conclusion - MS drivers don't support hot unplugging.

Ex-roadies experience with Dell's I guess relates to the newer 9xx series of Intel chipsets and the removal is probably enabled by drivers.

I didn't have any removal icons for the drives on the Dell CERC SATA RAID controller (I think it was a rebadged Adaptec) using Windows 2003 SBS Premium.

Yup! Got confirmation that the drivers they provided for trouble shooting were beta and had the removable drive support activated.

Should have posted back when they confirmed but got distracted with fishing and this freakin' storm. Sorry!

Ex-roadies experience with Dell's I guess relates to the newer 9xx series of Intel chipsets and the removal is probably enabled by drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
Just played around a bit and this is the case for me? If I remove the Nvidia IDE drivers the removable icon is gone.

But my boot time went from about 2 sec. to 40sec. or more? So it looks like I'm stuck with the icon for now.

To bad .. I want to get rid of it. I don't plan on hot swappin my Main drive anytime soon?

Cowboy

thats EXACTLY how mine was. i installed my windows XP sp1 disk without all the drivers ect, and my bootime was like 40 secondss. then i installed windows xp with SP2 slipstreamed and the drivers, and it went down to literally 2 seconds boot time.

i love it, i dont mind the icon :cool:

Tom

HEY! good cool news i just found!

if you want to get rid of the safe remove hardware box... do what i just did, it took me literally 10 seconds.

download & install this: http://www.safelyremove.com/safelyremovesetup.exe

after installing, go to Options > System

and check the box "Disable Windows USB Hotplug manager".

then press apply ect ect, then exit that program, uninstall that program... and your annoying "Safe remove hardware" icon is gone for good :D

hope that helped, helped ALOT for me.

Tom :D

• 2 weeks later...
and check the box "Disable Windows USB Hotplug manager".

then press apply ect ect, then exit that program, uninstall that program... and your annoying "Safe remove hardware" icon is gone for good

Wouldn't you want the "Safely remove hardware" icon to appear when you plug in a USB thumb drive, for example?