S-ATA Disk in "safe to remove hardware" box

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest burningrave101

ALL SATA drives are hot swappable. There is nothing to implement and there are no SATA drives that are not. Being hot swappable is a Serial ATA feature just like SATA I supports up to 150MB/s transfer rate.

Apprently the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is exclusive to AMD64 nForce chipsets because people with Intel boards dont get the same icon.

I've unplugged and replugged my SATA drives before while the system is running without stopping them first in "Safely Remove Hardware" but i dont know if its advisable to do it that way or not.

EDIT: I just tried to stop one of my raptors that doesn't have the OS installed on it and i got a dialog box saying "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it.". I dont have anything open from that hard drive though so i dont know.

ALL SATA drives are hot swappable. There is nothing to implement and there are no SATA drives that are not. Being hot swappable is a Serial ATA feature just like SATA I supports up to 150MB/s transfer rate.

Apprently the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is exclusive to AMD64 nForce chipsets because people with Intel boards dont get the same icon.

Thanks for confirming that Burningrave, i'd come that that conclusion myself that it must be down to the chipset.

Still strange how some other A64 users say they don't get it though eh... Do you only get it if your running a RAID setup?

Here's a link to a recent post by AG showing how to find the interface speed of a controller/drive combination.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...3&postcount=263

Hmmm, NFII doesn't have that option. All it shows is Nvidia nForceII ATA Controller, which just shows my Optical Drives running as Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33.

Whats the differences between SATA I and SATA II Drives then? The only difference i can see with my HardDrive is that it supports Native Command Queing, which my NFII Chipset doesn't support anyway...

Guest burningrave101

The three most important features of SATA II over SATA would be 3GB/s (300MB/s) interface data rate, Native Command Queuing, and delayed spin-up.

The three most important features of SATA II over SATA would be 3GB/s (300MB/s) interface data rate, Native Command Queuing, and delayed spin-up.

Hmmm, well mine is only 1.5GB/s (150MB/s) yet it still gets listed as SATA II. Wonder why that is? I'm imagining because it supports Native Command Queing and is built to SATA II spec, but just doesn't have the SATA II speed?

http://price.pricesaving.com/productprice_...ST3120827AS.htm

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=101563

And they aren't the only ones advertising it as SATA II... But its not fully SATA II, just 2/3rds ;)

Hmm... some people get the icon/function. With or without drivers. With or without certain chipset (nF3/nF4?). No certain HD MFG/model seems to be important as long as SATA drive is used. One difference I note from those fancy screenshots is that they look like OS used is WindowsXP or more recent. Is there possibly OS depedencies with this function? :confused:

You are on the nF3 chipset. If your drives are on the nForce3 250 Serial ATA controller you will see basically the same thing with the "Transfer mode:" showing SATA 1.5Gbs.

The link does not help me, as there are no "nVidia ADMA Controller"'s found when I just checked (again) here.

Not to mention even remotely similar property page. :confused:

You are on the nF3 chipset. If your drives are on the nForce3 250 Serial ATA controller you will see basically the same thing with the "Transfer mode:" showing SATA 1.5Gbs.

Something is missing? Only 3 sets of "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" (with primary and secondary controllers) are there... :confused:

Should I install NV IDE drivers or what I'm missing?

nForce platform drivers has been installed - Only IDE driver was left out, because IDE drivers not included in Windows are usually POS...

Oh... and transfer mode? Only "Ultra DMA Mode" as with common PATA HD's, so even performance could be worse than it should be?

OTOH, if NV IDE drivers are absolutely needed to get things fixed, I can live with small(ish) performance hit. Somewhat "long" booting time is not an issue, as I don't spend all my day booting 'puters... :D

Asus P4C800 + WD Raptor + WinXP SP1 = no icon

DFI nForce4 + WD Raptor + WinXP SP2 = with icon

Maybe something with Service Packs!?

No tray icon for me with Abit IC7 (intel), WinXP SP2, 36 Raptor....

m :)

• 2 weeks later...