DFI NF4 Ultra modded to SLI - Results!

I posted something similar to this on XS, but thought a few folks here might be interested in this as well.

I was sick of waiting around to find a DFI SLI in stock, so I picked up the DFI NF4 Ultra and did the SLI chipset mod instead. It was as easy as they say it is.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24570&stc=1

I'm using a buddy's Giga SLI bridge until the DFI bridges I ordered from Hong Kong show up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24572&stc=1

Space is much tighter for water cooling on the DFI versus the Asus:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24571&stc=1

This system is nothing compared to the serious cascade guys, but not bad for a 24/7 gamer. I like that the DFI BIOS allows for fan speed adjustments as well so that the rig is quiet as well as fast with those extra fans I added for benching.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24574&stc=1

And here's my best 05 score so far with the new mobo:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24573&stc=1

The modded DFI has lead to new personal bests all around over the Asus SLI I was using:

3D05: 12,070 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=583951

3D03: 25,744 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3701354

I may be just gettin warmed up too. This board is allowing for my all time best CPU and mem clocks. I'm not sure about all the TCCD problems I'm hearing about. Both sets of GSkill (LE and LA) work great, as did my Corsair XMS XL.

Disclaimer: If you want guaranteed SLI support, get the DFI SLI mobo. I modded this Ultra only because I couldn't get my hands on an SLI to begin with. Nvidia/DFI will be making this mod more difficult in the future (so they say).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Prometheus

Any DFI nF4 Ultra board you buy right now is still moddable to SLI according to the best information I have. All DFI nF4 Ultra shipments to date have been the original "moddable" chipset, but they expect to receive their first "locked" Ultra chips in the near future. If you find an Ultrqa board for sale right now, you can easily mod it to SLI. Then you will need to find a bridge.

Thanks!

I used conductive grease. It works as well as conductive paint but is easily removable making the mod reversable (if need be). Also, I ordered up a bunch of DFI bridges from Hong Kong. I'll be using a DFI bridge shortly so I can retun the Giga bridge to my buddy.

This DFI was a tough nut to crack with all the BIOS settings to play with, but it sure is a screamer when its all ironed out.