In the beginning, DFI created SLI...

Hi VJ.

...some more explanation for my amlethical doubts ?

:angel:

Bandwidth and bandwidth efficiency are two different things. Total bandwidth is a function

of both CPU speed and memory speed. The efficiency is telling you how well the CPU is

utilizing the BW available to it. If you hold the memory speed and lower the multi the CPU's

ability to use the bandwidth available to it (it's need for bandwidth actually) falls faster than

the available bandwidth itself does so the utilization efficiency of the bandwidth available

goes down.

Viper

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal is why are you so worried about the chipset??? You are making HUGH assumptions

that increased cooling will get you anything or anywhere.

The stock chipset cooler so far seems to be doing well with a remount using Ceramique and

setting the stock fan to hit full speed over 30-40C instead of the 55C the bios defaults to.

I am running 300-310Htt 1:1 with 1.7 to 1.8 chipset and haven't seen over 41C yet. At this

point I do not think I will even do a prototype Viper chipset HS for these MB's.

Just make sure you are getting decent air flow from the case front air intake fan.

Viper

ditto. ;)

http://oskarwu.myweb.hinet.net/dfi/...os/nf4ld217.rar

oscars 217 bios.

Update memtest86+ 1.51

(New Features

Added support for Intel i955X (Glenwood)

Added support for nVidia nForce4

Bug Fixes

Fix a bug on K8 chipset recognition

Fix Dual channcel not detected on i865/875 (Bug added in V1.50)

Some minor bug fixes)

Load Optimized Default =>Tref 3120 Cycle => fixed Corsair XPERT & OCZ

VX Memory Steady

The deal is why are you so worried about the chipset??? You are making HUGH assumptions

that increased cooling will get you anything or anywhere.

The stock chipset cooler so far seems to be doing well with a remount using Ceramique and

setting the stock fan to hit full speed over 30-40C instead of the 55C the bios defaults to.

I am running 300-310Htt 1:1 with 1.7 to 1.8 chipset and haven't seen over 41C yet. At this

point I do not think I will even do a prototype Viper chipset HS for these MB's.

Just make sure you are getting decent air flow from the case front air intake fan.

Viper

I am not so worried, but I do try and get the best temps possible. I know I am not the only one to do that. Now my chipset with fan on full speed is running over 50°c. I have a 86cfm fan from my heatercore that is blowing directly on the chipset and I still get those temps. This is also with default chipset voltage. I have applied ceramique also. I just don't think it is so horrible for me to be looking for alternate cooling options. Now if anyone could say for sure a 50°c chipset temp is no problem and doesn't hurt an OC than I would back off. But usually better temps equal better OC.

I am not so worried, but I do try and get the best temps possible. I know I am not the only one to do that. Now my chipset with fan on full speed is running over 50°c. I have a 86cfm fan from my heatercore that is blowing directly on the chipset and I still get those temps. This is also with default chipset voltage. I have applied ceramique also. I just don't think it is so horrible for me to be looking for alternate cooling options. Now if anyone could say for sure a 50°c chipset temp is no problem and doesn't hurt an OC than I would back off. But usually better temps equal better OC.

Now if I read that correctly you have the warm air coming off your radiator going directly

into your chipset cooling fan.......................................................

Viper

http://oskarwu.myweb.hinet.net/dfi/...os/nf4ld217.rar

oscars 217 bios.

Update memtest86+ 1.51

(New Features

Added support for Intel i955X (Glenwood)

Added support for nVidia nForce4

Bug Fixes

Fix a bug on K8 chipset recognition

Fix Dual channcel not detected on i865/875 (Bug added in V1.50)

Some minor bug fixes)

Load Optimized Default =>Tref 3120 Cycle => fixed Corsair XPERT & OCZ

VX Memory Steady

That appears to be a bad link.

Viper

Are you getting those temps with the x850XT though? It seems to be SLI that's contributing to some people having higher chipset temps. I tend to agree with others that have said "good airflow" should be a priority though so that should be addressed first (as it's generally easy) to see if temps do drop. It's certain cards (i.e. Leadtek PX6800GT) that're proving to be troublesome - because of larger than life stock coolers.

I have to agree. I'm at 250 fsb w 2 ultras /sli and my chip runs around 41 idle (this is w/ a case fan pointed right at the chipset and based on ambient of 70). I have seen close to 50c (without an extra fan blowing right at chipset 50c ++) after some intense gaming like hl2. It is my opinion that the heat emanating from the 2 ultra cards are contributing to the high temps and even though a fan is pointing at the chipset, that some heat from the cards is still funneling in.

I am going to watercool my 2 ultras and see if that makes a difference.

Make no mistake about it, with 2 ultras, that area around the chipset is VERY congested it only allows 1 slot available for a sound card and w/ that installed is even worse. I only wish they adopted the design of the asus a8n, which in my opinion is a much better design.

Hi Krag

Actually it was 639/642 (lookin at wrong notes again!!!) 3DM05 was 7024 clean

with the Cat 5.1 drivers at High Quality and AA/Aniso at benchmark default.

Viper

That is most excellent for a single card rig. So far my best 05 score with my 2 6800-U in SLI is 9750, you're one card does 3/4 the score of my 2 cards! I hope Nv puts out some better performing drivers in the next couple months.

BTW, sweet clocks on the radeon! Did you have to do the droop mod on the core to get it that high?

That is most excellent for a single card rig. So far my best 05 score with my 2 6800-U in SLI is 9750, you're one card does 3/4 the score of my 2 cards! I hope Nv puts out some better performing drivers in the next couple months.

BTW, sweet clocks on the radeon! Did you have to do the droop mod on the core to get it that high?

No kidding! The best I had was 5950 though this is with the stock cooling and a ton of airflow to the case. I doubt I could beat that one with water cooling.

CPUZ have you considered a little ducting so the hot air does not blow directly on the heatsink at least untill you get the water cooling going? If you have room having a fan inside the case on the side of the MB does wonders and keeps the video card cool too. It reverses the flow from the outside in with another above the vard for fresh air to the intake.

Actually I think the core is going to be well under average for an x850...at least

the XT-PE binned cores anyway. This card is a strange duck engineering sample

that was put through the ringer. It had thermocouple holes drilled in the stock

GPU cooler and the heat spreaders for temp measurements when I got it. Both

the zero ohm jumpers had been opened up so the aux connector wouldn't function

to test the card with all the power coming through the AGP slot. In short just

beat to death lol.

It is also stange as the engineering bios is a 16 pipe 540/590 bios but does not

have Vivo (nor does the card).

The x850's do not need a droop mod. ATI reconfigured the FID jumpers on the

Vcore regulator and changed the active droop circuit config so the regulator no

longer droops a mile when the core loads up. The ADC doesn't appear to switch

to ACL mode when the core loads up with high desktop Vcore either.

The memory timings have been loosened a bunch on the x850's from the x800's too.

Viper

The x850's do not need a droop mod. ATI reconfigured the FID jumpers on the

Vcore regulator and changed the active droop circuit config so the regulator no

longer droops a mile when the core loads up. The ADC doesn't appear to switch

to ACL mode when the core loads up with high desktop Vcore either.

The memory timings have been loosened a bunch on the x850's from the x800's too.

Viper

Thats good to know, the new changes look like a modders dream! :angel:

I'm stuck with the 6800-u SLI setup until the end of this year. Then I'll be going dual core AMD with some ATI AMR goodness! :drool: :drool: Yep, that means more buisness for VJ!! :nod:

I saw some rumored specs for the ATI R520, they are talkin' 24 pipes with 1.8ghz mem!! The pipes sound about right but the mem seems to far off IMHO.