In the beginning, DFI created SLI...

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having a good read of the pdf manual and I'm just wondering, on page 55 of 139, does the N.C. (or pin 3) of both fan 4 and fan 5 connectors stand for "Not Connected"? That seriously sucks if that's the case.

What BIOS version you guys have? The DFI site is denying me access right now. I have 1/25/2005. I thought it was supposed to be 1/31/05 or something like that. I can boot to the BIOS and then when I get to "Setup is inspecting your hardware" screen it freezes. So I don't have XPpro installed (it's an SP2 slipstream). Maybe I should try the SI chip instead of nV RAID (but the nV RAID sees my 4 raptors and I have RAID 0 setup along with the boot capability and I have the floppy disk drivers ready)?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, but is anybody else having issues with IDE2? Mine simply won't detect either DVDRW drive, even 1 at a time. I know they work because they work in my other computer.

Just having a good read of the pdf manual and I'm just wondering, on page 55 of 139, does the N.C. (or pin 3) of both fan 4 and fan 5 connectors stand for "Not Connected"? That seriously sucks if that's the case.

N.C. - I'm not sure but how about "No Circuit"? I think it just means that there is no sensor for determining RPMs.

also if you have ultras, why would you put on the nv5 silencer, which was recommended for 6800 gts....

I think nv sliencers are best for the rest of your system by keeping the ambient air temps down since they intake ambient temps and exhaust hot temps outside of the case. That's what I was looking to do. Although, right now I'm on stock cooling with the 6800GT's and my PCI slot fans are just too tight of a fit, but they do work. I have installed one above the first video card (PCIEx4) and it is below the XP120 - again, a tight fit but it works because the air from that is exhausted too instead of recirculating in the case. I think that setup will only work with certain PCI slot fans like mine http://www.xoxide.com/uvslotcooler.html because the heat pipes from the xp120 need to go into the middle of that fan - so if you have a fan grill there, it won't work. I also moved the 92mm fan on the top of the case (Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2) to point inwards so as to keep the PSU cool since OCZ's intake for that is right there... I just hope this one doesn't blow out like the last one (which was only used on the system in my sig. and lasted about 2 months).

N.C. usually stands for "normally closed", = connected when referring to a pair of contacts in e.g. a relay and N.O. stands for "normally open" , = not connected. When you apply power to the relay they change over.

:)

YEEHAA! Windows is installing! But only at 3-3-3-8-1T, whereas my RAM is rated 2.5-3-3-7-1T Its Kingston KHX3200K2/2G - probably Hynix IC's but when I asked Kingston they said they can't tell because they use too many different companies IC's to know for sure - somehow I think they probably know but can't divulge). Too bad this is how the board detects my RAM. I know the SPD drops it down to 3-4-4-8-1T if I increase the DRAM clock to 250MHz. Hmmmmmm... I hope this is resolved with a BIOS update.

N.C. usually stands for "normally closed", = connected when referring to a pair of contacts in e.g. a relay and N.O. stands for "normally open" , = not connected. When you apply power to the relay they change over.

:)

Your analogy NC and NO on the relay is correct but it doesn't apply to header pinout diagram.

In the manual NC = No Connection.

Viper

Yes on the Not/No connection. The is no rpm sensing on fan headers 4 and 5. RPM sensing is

on fan header 1,2 and 3.

Not sure why you think that sucks.

Viper

What BIOS version you guys have? The DFI site is denying me access right now. I have 1/25/2005. I thought it was supposed to be 1/31/05 or something like that. I can boot to the BIOS and then when I get to "Setup is inspecting your hardware" screen it freezes. So I don't have XPpro installed (it's an SP2 slipstream). Maybe I should try the SI chip instead of nV RAID (but the nV RAID sees my 4 raptors and I have RAID 0 setup along with the boot capability and I have the floppy disk drivers ready)?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, but is anybody else having issues with IDE2? Mine simply won't detect either DVDRW drive, even 1 at a time. I know they work because they work in my other computer.

http://www.ricco.karoo.net/down/NF4LD201.zip

Guest eva2000
also if you have ultras, why would you put on the nv5 silencer, which was recommended for 6800 gts....

"All in all this is nice product and is able to provide better than stock cooling for a 6800GT video card. The 6800 Ultra however provides just as good cooling stock as would the NV5 Silencer and is really not recommended for that application. "

from 3dxtreme

exactly NV5 on 6800GT would be nice, but Zalman VF700-CU are better and slimmer profile.

my stock heastink with ambient room temps = 30-33C

- XFX 6800GT PCI-E single slot aluminium heatsink

GPU1 = 62-65C idle and 81-88C load

GPU2 = 55-59C idle and 78-85C load

- eVGA 6800Ultra PCI-E dual slot copper heatsink

GPU1 = 53-56C idle and 69-78C load

GPU2 = 51-55C idle and 69-75C load

this is on A8N-SLI Deluxe though, bought a 2nd hand DFI NF4 SLI-D so will test again

it helps to have zalman fan bracket and 120x38mm fan blowing over cards and chipset heatsink

Guest eva2000
I think the NV5 silencers will fit.
nah doubt they'd fit

stick with stock heatsinks as the eVGA 6800U PCI-E copper heatsink does very well on mine

btw, kraggy how well do your eVGA's oc with coolbit autodetect and manual ?

both mine autodetect @447/1140 and manual 455/1210 and 455/1230

nah doubt they'd fit

stick with stock heatsinks as the eVGA 6800U PCI-E copper heatsink does very well on mine

btw, kraggy how well do your eVGA's oc with coolbit autodetect and manual ?

both mine autodetect @447/1140 and manual 455/1210 and 455/1230

I havent' built the rig yet. I am still waiting for my 24 pin PSU which will be here on Thur. Yeap, I'll be home sick from work that day! Cough, cough, aaaccckk! I'm not feeling to good right now. :cool: :nod: