In the beginning, DFI created SLI...

Originally posted by macman

How loud is the fan on the nForce4 chip? It looks like the end of most graphics cards would hangover the fan - is that correct?

The Chipset fan is to High for ATI cards

Yes, If you plan on getting the DFI 939 board and you have an ATI card be prepared to Change the Chipset heatsink.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...1&postcount=189

Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dug

That's what I would like to know.

I wish someone would make an nforce4 motherboard where the chipset isn't right behind the video card.

May the powers to be hear u and implement!

Amen!

well...a little update

apparently this X850XT Platinum is so new that the newest Omega driver (2.5.97a) doesn't quite correctly install...I got it to install only after manually updating the driver from the device manager...then there was two other unknown devices that were the WDM parts that I had to download separately...and RAD LINKER doesn't work...it shows 0.0Mhz on both GPU and MEM clock lol. Very strange. I will end up reloading the entire system with the drivers off the cd-rom as I actually scored 500 3dmark01's less with this setup than my NF3 setup:

NF3 250Gb UT

2800+ @ 2.25Ghz

X800 Pro 256MB

2x512MB PC3700EB OCZ @ 250FSB 1:1

2x36GB Raptors

Audigy2

another problem, and this is where I am baffled is that it would BSOD with the IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL before I could ever get the GUI of WindowsXP Pro installation using OCZ PC4200EL 2x512 (TCCD on brainpower pcb). Even at all Load Optimized Defaults.

before you go crying out 'omg there's a problem already!' realize that I have a board that isn't the final board, and OCZ Tony himself has the latest revision of board with a different BIOS than I have. I am checking into it.

So again, before you panic and think that its not gonna work, calm down and take to heart that I probably am missing a BIOS or possibly my earlier revision of board is causing it. I am having TW check it out for me and give me all the info.

I only include it because I know you all want info and you want all the info I am generating.

Do note, however, that now that I have plugged my EB3700 OCZ 2x512 that overclocked very well in my NF3, it is running VERY smooth...Prime95 full FFT torture (max heat) @ 41°C on this Winchester (idle was @ 39°C and Prime has been running for 1+ hours so I know that it is running full load and heat).

I will let it prime another half hour or so while I get some things done then I will run the ATTO/HD Tach benches on my single Raptor (running on the NVRAID SATA controller as simple IDE drive) then reload WindowsXP entirely and try different drivers on my X850XT and by then I should also have whatever the latest BIOS is from TW.

I'll post some prelim benches during my second run.

Also remember that RG and I have these boards before anyone else to help try and finalize any bugs we encounter. RG might have a totally different experience with his board also. Things that we report here in this thread are only a sort of public 'blog' type of our final testing with the board since we are allowed to talk about them to you, the DFI-Street forum.

there's lots of rumors floating around. there are also a few guys over at extreme that have the board and have done this or that with them.

Nothing that has been written up until the board actually hits the shelves should be taken with more than a grain of salt...as specs are still changing a little (as are bioses...like for instance mine only does 3.1v for some reason which is incorrect, and drivers etc). I know you all like info, and I know you all get bent out of shape when I have to play info-nazi sometimes and keep a clamp on it, so this thread is to give you a little bit of insight on where I am at the moment with the board.

and again...remember...most of all...I just got it up and running with and able to begin testing and benchmarking since I got home from the hockey game a few hours ago...so I am very much in my 'pre-alpha' stage of fooling around with it...its a new board, with new stuff...I got to get used to it just like you will ;)

Frallan: I will be checking out these modules over the course of the next few days:

Centon 2x512MB PC3200 TCCD brainpower

Ballistix 2x512MB PC4000

OCZ 2x512MB PC3700EB

OCZ 2x512MB PC4200EL Platinum

Buffalo 2x256 PC3700 BH-5

Corsair XMS 3200LL (CMX512-3200LL) rev1.1 *supposedly BH-5 but I am doubting they are*

Buffalo 2x256 Micron "C" PC3700

OCZ 2x512MB PC4400 *Hynix D43 or D45, can't remember but this is the stuff I can get 291FSB 1:1 / 301FSB 5:4 on my LanParty 875B*

official compatibility testing will be done by our lab (FAE) in Taiwan ;)

Nice to hear you've got it running. I don't think many people expect bleeding egde technology to be bug free. I dont :) But they all get ironed out in the end.

I'd appereciate it if you'd compare some value ram while overclocked not using a 1:1 divider.Kinda Like the link I posted above. I like to see someone elses numbers as well.

Originally posted by macman

How loud is the fan on the nForce4 chip? It looks like the end of most graphics cards would hangover the fan - is that correct?

forgot to answer this heh...its not loud at all...i have all case fans @ 1500rpm, my cpu fan @ 2000rpm, and this chipset fan i think is running at something like 3000-4000rpm (ill check again if i can remember when i am in the bios...ITE Smartguardian says it doing 8,500rpm hahaha). Its very quiet.

ok, couple of pics while i install ALL of the 3d benchmarks and run them before wiping everything and starting over ;)

nf4sli_5.jpg

this is just all thrown in...no form, just pure function. I'll 'pretty' it all up when I am ready to make it my personal butt-stomper heh

nf4sli_6.jpg

nf4sli_7.jpg

remember this is only a single Raptor...its VERY fast feeling though...even though my NF3 Raptor RAID-0 scores twice as much...this NF4 FEELS very responsive and fast ;)

I see you've savagly pruned all the posts :)

I've been thinking about the fact that the serial port is by pins off the motherboard. This will be a god send for people wanting to use VFD's or LCD displays. Not more wires out to the back...

-Xoddoza

Originally posted by xoddoza

I see you've savagly pruned all the posts :)

I've been thinking about the fact that the serial port is by pins off the motherboard. This will be a god send for people wanting to use VFD's or LCD displays. Not more wires out to the back...

-Xoddoza

sorry about that...sent you a pm explaining...wasn't anything bad, was just trying to keep this more on-topic ;)

good idea to start a new thread and see what you get for replies.