hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayheim - ATTO says the read is 150, while Hard Drive Tach says 90? Seems to me they should be closer together. And write speeds at 299mb? WOW!!! Thats fast!

Here are my current results with 16k stripe, and 4k cluster. NTFS. Can anyone explain to me why the write speed apears to be maxing out at 32816? It was doing this before with different stripe/cluster too. Also regardless of stripe/cluster/file system, my 16k is always lower?

ATTO16-4ntfs.gif

you know mayhem my last post where i had pretty good results on my 4x raptors in the ATTO. Well after reinstall all my pc software and doing many registry tweaks (using tweakhound registry tweaks) my ATTO read results are low around 150k now.. =( i am not gonna reinstall windows i i have done enough of that.. windows is running flawlessly. I made a true image o fit too..

Think registry could have had something to do with it? i did disable a lot of windows services... =P

lol It taken me a while to figure out off the correct reg tweaks and services that improve or Decrease windows Xp performace. There are lots of Tuts on the net about it. But to be honist half of them aint woth the web pages they are written on.

Simplest ones are stuff like disableing the Nvida Rubbish from start up and the services. Allso stopping msn and all that rubbish and just keep what you realy need from the quick launch.

All so stuff like using the old menu style and disable the crappy windows xp backup / restore ect ect.

Windows Xp is nice i admit but with all the fancy menus and flashy grapics it makes me wonder why the hell are they there. Yes procceser speeds are going faster and faster but then the OS's are eating up so much of it - its just a waite of time lol.

Hi Guys iam doing some testing with the size of my clusters and this is what i came up with.The HD Tack results barly changed with diffrent clusters so iam using the HD Tack for both.ATTO iam using a 64 Stripe and 4 cluster on the first shot.The second shot i used 64 stripe and 16 cluster.

Qusstion i realy dont know how to read ATTO.Can some one explane what is better a higher number on the Read & Write?

cluster168vd.th.jpg

atto1fi.th.jpg

allto167le.th.jpg

Bump

Ive tryed evry combo with ATTO & this is about the best i came up with.

How do you read this ATTO scores?

Is the higher the score the better?

Yes, the higher the scores the better in Atto.

Your writes look a little low, i get not far of that with my single SATA.

atto9hq.th.png

Tbh, i'm not too convinced about the reliability of Atto myself. I think HD Tach is better.

Does anyone know why my write speed seems to max out at 32816 in ATTO? Regardless of stripe/cluster/file system, if it can reach 32816, the last 3 or 4 tests (128 through 1024) has this number for write. Is there some kind of limit on the drives, that regardless of what happens, they will not go over 32816? I believe this number is in kb correct? So this is a little over 32mb?

Shinobi Thanks for the ansewer.

Fight Game i have the same problem.Ive tried every combo with the stripe & Cluster size and realy can not get much better than what ia score now.

My score seems to be a little better with the default cluster of 4 than going with a 4 to 1 ratio of 16 on a 64 stripe.

What can one do to get better scores in ATTO other than trying diffrent combos?

HD Tack iam getting good scores.

I'm not really complaining about it being low, and I understand everything has a max, but I just think it's weird that every time it stops at this exact number (32816). Makes me think something is holding it back to this point, since I can never even get it to 32817, regardless of what combo.

Can you guys help me with drive choice?

I have done some reading here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=hitachi

But most of the picture links are dead for me.

Its hopefully a simple question.

RAID0 two of the Hitachi 80 gig drives or go with a single RAPTOR.

Hitatchi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145082

Raptor

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...e=101222-316603

Looking for performance, low temps, and low noise.

The Hitachis will be about a $70 cheaper solution.

Also, if you want to toss in a recommendation for SATA cables that would be nice too.