hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Yeah, to get a quality RAID-5 array going you really have to invest in a quality controller first. After that the drives are almost secondary.

Ohh well looks like I wont spend the money on additional HDDs to go RAID5...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cloud_171

Think selling my raptor and putting in some money for 4x hitachi sata II worth it?

The WD Raptors are incredible drives. The 10,000RPM spindle gets the data under the heads faster than any 7,200RPM drive could ever accomplish. This leads to virtually unbeatable access times.

On the other hand they are quite expensive and run very hot. A single 74GB Raptor with SATA 150 runs about $155.00USD.

Two Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives will run about $110.00USD.

For about 70% the cost of a single Raptor, you've got the two drives necessary for a RAID-0 array that will provide 9/10ths the performance of a Raptor array that would cost over $300.00.

The Raptor array would be a tick faster than the Hitachi array but cost almost 3 times more for that small performance increase.

Take a look at my sig for Aileen and see which way I went.

Ok heres what i get with the seagate Satas I setup stripping at 16k I thought that was reccomended to me but I lost the printout of directions I have not setup cluster size. Wondering if I need to redo array and change to 64k stripping. Guess with 16k I need to go with 4 on cluster, is that the way I understand it.

atto7xe.jpg

They are looking good....there is definately something about running 4 drives ;) What are your HD Tach burst and average read results?

What I found was that I had to try various combinations to find the best working configuration for my hardware and keeping the 4:1 Ratio in mind (thxs to ExRoadie for getting it right in my head) and this is what I am now running. See post here.

Ok heres what i get with the seagate Satas I setup stripping at 16k I thought that was reccomended to me but I lost the printout of directions I have not setup cluster size. Wondering if I need to redo array and change to 64k stripping. Guess with 16k I need to go with 4 on cluster, is that the way I understand it.

Looks like the four drives scale nicely. One thing you will notice when comparing 1.5 to 3.0Gbps SATA II drives it the burst performance. Even with a lowly 8MB cache The high speed SATA II drives provide twice the burst performance.

This is an example of where the higher bandwidth available with 3.0Gbps lets the cache really shine. Just imagine when Hitachi starts putting a 16MB cache in their drives. Devastating!

4 X 80GB. Seagate Satas Nvidia RAID-0 16k & 4