hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Question about XP and disk managment and my raid0 array. 4x80GB raid 0 so I have approx. 80GB of total space (actually less than that) Now when I'm in disk managment in XP shows that I have between 3 partitions 298GB of HD space.

Now is it that XP does not see the raid 0 setup and just reports as if it was 4 HD's?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

URL ?

The only SATA 2 available here are Samsung, the other option is those Seagate SATA 150 with NCQ.

sorry can't find the url anymore. But basically the samsung had 170ish burst speed compare to 220ish in the hitachi. sequential read was similar (average) in both cases, random access time were higher with the samsung (19ms? vs 13ms). comparison was done using sata2 (80gb 8mb cache) non raid configuration. its all i can remember...

Guest cloud_171

I finally got 3x hitachi 80g and one is being sent back to the manufacter! But now I can't seem to get any of hitachi's ftool to work! The cd just gets stuck on starting PC-Dos and the floppy keeps giving me some error when it loads. Any clue what might the problem be?

I finally got 3x hitachi 80g and one is being sent back to the manufacter! But now I can't seem to get any of hitachi's ftool to work! The cd just gets stuck on starting PC-Dos and the floppy keeps giving me some error when it loads. Any clue what might the problem be?

copying down the error message verbatim would probably help those who know more about it than i do

Guest cloud_171

yeah finally figured my floppy is bad. Has anyone ghost their raid drives with norton ghost 9? I press f6 and select both the drivers and then it tells me nvraid.sys can't be found. When it is right in there and I tried the original and making a new copy and still no luck. Has anyone else had any luck with this?

edit: hmm it seems to happen without loading the drivers too..

Why run the ATTO test with queueing off??? Thats like seeing how fast your car can go with only first gear. SCSI is all about queueing. In fact the more the better!

Also its well known that HDtach is a very poor indicator of RAID performance. (See many many posts about this topic on StorageReview.com)

LSI 320-2e 4 disk RAID5 as described below.