hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol i have noticed this since the day i started this thread

I don't know exactly...but that is really what I am interested in anyway is write speeds since I very much NEED 200MB/s writes (i dont give a damn what the read speed is....80MB/s is plenty fast, but when working on video/audio editing etc, I need that write speed!)

i do have a theory though...the instant i hit the desktop after an XP install, one of the first things I do is turn off Indexing service on all the drives...this MIGHT be what causes the reads to be fairly low

I will test tomorrow by leaving Indexing on for the first test of 8k clusters @ 32k stripes and then turning Indexing off and seeing if there's a difference

but you have to admit...those 200MB/s+ writes are pretty damn sexy!

I also have a couple Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives coming from newegg, and I will retest 3 of them together like I did waaaaaay back earlier in this thread and see if there's much of a difference

I also turn off indexing, since I rarely use it. Well I think I rarely use it, not really sure what all it does...doesn't it just speed up searching? Yes 200mb write is sexy. Sure would speed up the video/audio editing, and also any installs, I'm sure. Probably be waiting for the cd rom to catch up! We just need to figure out how we can combine our results and get 200 read / 200 write! Anyone heard if that iRam (Ram disk thing) is out yet? I still have an extra gig+ of ram laying around that I think would work well as a paging file, and maybe temporary files, etc. I think it would look sexy in the other pci-e slot (either 2x or maybe 8x)

ok, 32k stripe now

hdtach32k-1.gif

C: is default windows cluster, 15GB partition, 32k stripe, Indexing off, NV IDE drivers installed:

atto32_c.gif

D: is 8k cluster, 32k stripe, 32GB partition, Indexing off:

atto32_d.gif

E: is 8k cluster, 32k stripe, 56GB partition, Indexing off:

atto32_e.gif

where can I find the atto disk benchmark? The file isn't hosted on angry's site any longer

anyway, heres two runs I did on HD tach. I didn't like the spike on the 1st run, so I did it again.

This is 2x 80GB Hitachi SATA II in RAID0, 128k stripe, default XP cluster size.

bench1.JPG

bench2.JPG

edit: sorry about the 20 extra pixels :angel:

where can I find the atto disk benchmark? The file isn't hosted on angry's site any longer

anyway, heres two runs I did on HD tach. I didn't like the spike on the 1st run, so I did it again.

This is 2x 80GB Hitachi SATA II in RAID0, 128k stripe, default XP cluster size.

dont you people read any rules when you join a forum???

Wow, what a thread - I think I've read about half of it from the start and then the last few pages. Lots of great info here!

I've just registered here and my sig shows the system I intend to build very soon. I am still up in the air on drives - the Hitachi 80gb sound great and at $57/each the price is certainly right but...

Has anyone tested a RAID0 array two of the new Seagate 7200.9 160gb drives yet? They're around $95 on Newegg, have 160gb on one platter, a 5 year warranty and are SATA2. I am wondering if a RAID0 boot array made up of 2 x 160gb 7200.9 Seagates might be at least as good performance wise as 2 x 80gb Hitachi...

I am looking at the 160gb Seagate because, at 160gb on one platter, it's the most data-dense drive Seagate makes right now. The Seagate 7200.9 500gb is 4x125gb and they also have 133gb platters in the 7200.9 line but those drives don't seem to be available yet.

If nothing else, thanks much for all the great information you guys have put in this thread - I've learned a TON reading this for the last few hours! :)