hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

oook

getting into the NF590 SLI-M2R/G board

I've got a couple of Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA II, 16MB cache drives in RAID-0 on this mutha

DFI LanParty NF590 SLI-M2R/G (AM2)

AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ (2400Mhz / 1MB L2 per core)

OCZ Gold GX PC2-8000 (DDR2-1000Mhz) - OCZ2G10002GK

2x Chaintech 6600GT PCI-E 16x 128MB SLI, 91.42 drivers

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB, 16MB cache SATA II hdd

NEC 3550A DVD-RW drive

Antec TruePower TP3-550 (550w, 24-pin, EPS 12v)

64k Stripe, 16k Clusters

2x RAID-0 drives (listed above)

atto_seagate_2x80-1.gif

hdtach_seagate_2x80-1.gif

hdtach_seagate_2x80-2.gif

now I'm off to test them with exactly the same setup, but using teh Silicon Image SI3131 controller ;)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my $0.02

I have a non-performance setup: I'm running Raid 5 instead of Raid 0 for uptime and reliability. I also have ECC memory and am running Barracuda 7200.10's instead of .9's (which are faster). However I do have the latest Adaptec RAID card running on my spare PCIe 16x slot. After I set everything up I was hitting a glass ceiling (120mb/s accross the array) with my SLI jumpers disabled. Below is what I get with 8x PCIe on a measly RAID 5 setup.

attoyp9.pnghdtachraid5wl4.png

Guest LithoTech

Man, that is one sweet usage of the spare pci-e slot. Dripping with envy here lol! Very impressive results no matter how you cut it!

Did you try it in RAID 0 just to bench and see what it could do?

I originally wanted 4x of these WD SE16's I have two of, but back then I wasn't expecting to see the perpendicular drives out so soon, or so reasonably priced. Now my plan is to split these 250's up in to a couple other systems, and replace them with 7200.10 320's. Going to have to wait though, because one of the two other systems doesn't exist yet heheh.

Great to see those benches, and what a dedictaed raid card can do for you even in raid 5 or 1.

Okay, I searched around and found an older benchmark before I added the 4th drive.

This is the same setup but with 3 of the drives in RAID 0. I don't have any benchmarks on a 4-drive RAID 0. I like how the card handles parity processing beautifully when running RAID 5.

raid0ge1.png

Very happy with my first try at Raid 0.

All standard settings, Windows default strip size and all.

I did try unchecking read cashing and the command Q. but my personal results were worse with the two options unchecked.

Thanks to all who help on this websight, your help with this Motherboard has been great.

hdtackraid03wddrivesfy7.jpg

3 drives in RAID 0...nice boost disabling read caching and command queuing. First run was 302 burst by 134 read...

Ok, i have been following this thread for quite some time... like more than a year, and this "disabling read caching and command queuing" is new... why are you disabling it, and how?